Ends in a couple of hours. Huret shifters for auction.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg Achtem
<[email protected]> wrote:
>You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular!
>Smooth pure friction shifting. From when you had to shift
>to shift. Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater.
>They're French! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI-
>tem&item=3663859849

According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4
times. According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I
suppose that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times,
you'll get 100 bids.

Are these really "wildly popular"?

What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be added
to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping costs."
Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than the winning
bid, in addition to the shipping cost?

Lastly, just how much are you trying to get for these? Your
repeated posting makes it appear that you're trying to drum
up some bidders; even in the pleasant condition which you
describe, this item is not worth huge gobs of money. Brand
new Dura Ace shift levers, only 66 grams, that can switch
between friction and 9 speed index shifting, only cost $30
at Performance. Brand new 96 gram Falcon downtube friction-
only shifters (which require you "to shift to shift") are $7
at Alfred E Bike (aebike.com). Obviously, then, these would
be for a restoration; but you can find similar shifters, in
great condition, on whole bikes at yard sales and thrift
shops for ten to twenty dollars.

I'm just wondering if there's something really special to
these, that would cause you to post your auction notice so
repeatedly to
r.b.marketplace. That, and I'm procrastinating on doing
things that I really need to do, so this message took up
some of my time, and caused me to find a source for
brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;)
--
Rick Onanian

--------------090606040309010705030502

Rick Onanian wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg Achtem
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular!
>>Smooth pure friction shifting. From when you had to shift
>>to shift. Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater.
>>They're French! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View-
>>Item&item=3663859849
>>

>According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4 times.
>According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I suppose
>that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times, you'll get
>100 bids.

Well if I thought that were true . . .

>Are these really "wildly popular"?

Nope. Maybe once, but not now. Except maybe to the
winning bidder.

>What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be
>added to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
>handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping costs."
>Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than the
>winning bid, in addition to the shipping cost?

Yes. Sturdy box or padded envelope. Packing materials like
bubble wrap or foam peanuts. One, maybe two trips to the
post office to get the exact shipping price and to ship.
Printed label. None of this is free, but one buck is a
great deal.

>Lastly, just how much are you trying to get for these? Your
>repeated posting makes it appear that you're trying to drum
>up some bidders; even in the pleasant condition which you
>describe, this item is not worth huge gobs of money. Brand
>new Dura Ace shift levers, only 66 grams, that can switch
>between friction and 9 speed index shifting, only cost $30
>at Performance. Brand new 96 gram Falcon downtube friction-
>only shifters (which require you "to shift to shift") are
>$7 at Alfred E Bike (aebike.com). Obviously, then, these
>would be for a restoration; but you can find similar
>shifters, in great condition, on whole bikes at yard sales
>and thrift shops for ten to twenty dollars.
>
>I'm just wondering if there's something really special to
>these, that would cause you to post your auction notice so
>repeatedly to
>r.b.marketplace. That, and I'm procrastinating on doing
> things that I really need to do, so this message took
> up some of my time, and caused me to find a source for
> brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;)
>--

How much am I trying to get for these? $4.99 or more.. Am I
trying to drum up bidders? Yes, of course. Why the repeated
postings? The more exposure the more bids. Do I think this
is excessive? No.

I'm glad you found what you wanted for cheap. I like to
shop that way too.

Cheers!

Greg

--------------090606040309010705030502 Content-Type:
text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-
Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
cite="[email protected]">
<pre wrap="">On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg
Achtem <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:gac-
[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:
get your bid in! These are wildly popular! Smooth pure
friction shifting. From when you had to shift to shift.
Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater. They're
French! <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cg-
i.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3663859849">ht-
tp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=366-
According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4
times. According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I
suppose that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times,
thought that were true . . . <br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="[email protected]">
<pre wrap="">

Are these really "wildly popular"?</pre> </blockquote>
Nope. Maybe once, but not now. Except maybe to the
winning bidder.<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="[email protected]">
<pre wrap="">

What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be
added to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping
costs." Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than
the winning bid, in addition to the shipping cost?</pre>
materials like bubble wrap or foam peanuts. One, maybe
two trips to the post office to get the exact shipping
price and to ship. Printed label. None of this is free,
but one buck is a great deal.<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="[email protected]">
<pre wrap="">

[...]

brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;) --</pre>
$4.99 or more.. Am I trying to drum up bidders? Yes, of
course. Why the repeated postings? The more exposure the
more bids. Do I think this is excessive? No.<br> <br>