endurance advice required.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kent, May 16, 2003.

  1. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Hi, In 3 weeks I have an 80 off road race. I have by means of a warm up a trailquest on the weekend
    in the same area that lasts 5 hours. ( map read and as many checkpoints as you can in the time ). I
    have only ridden 3.5 hours in the past off road max, so what food stuff should I take? I have had
    the following advice. 1 banana 1 round jam sandwich 2 gels 1 protein bar. I have a hydration pack
    that I shall be carrying 2 L of energy drink. On the trail quest there are no fuel stops but some
    local shops may be near check points. On the 80k race there will be a fuel stop at 40k with energy
    drinks/bananas etc - no shops. The other comments I have had are don't go stupid at the start. Any
    advice is very much welcomed. Obviously I carry tube, tools ,patches, pump, waterproof, phone and a
    whistle and I have just done maintenance on the bike and given it an hour off road to check its ok!
    And it has been raining there for the last 2 days and forecast is rain until Monday ( the trailquest
    is Sunday).
    --

    Regards

    Kent

    Tags:

  2. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I have only ridden 3.5 hours in the past off road max, so what food stuff should I take? I have had
    >the following advice. 1 banana 1 round jam sandwich 2 gels 1 protein bar.

    I'm no racer and, if I'm lucky and play my cards right, never will be.

    Having said that, I used to ride my own little races every Sunday - road rides to the local seashore
    - about 90 miles one-way.

    My preferred food was seedless grapes. Seems to me like all I really need for a time period like
    that (about 4 hours) is sugar and water.

    For me, the case for grapes was convenience: they're packaged nicely so you can take one, two, or a
    handful. They'll sit in a jersey pocket without squishing or dripping, there's no wrapper to worry
    about, you can reach in, grab a few, and stuff them in your mouth without losing any significant
    degree of concentration, and they do the job.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, In 3 weeks I have an 80 off road race. I have by means of a warm up a trailquest on the
    > weekend in the same area that lasts 5 hours. ( map read and as many checkpoints as you can in the
    > time ). I have only ridden 3.5 hours in the past off road max, so what food stuff should I take? I
    > have had the following advice. 1 banana

    Nope, 1.75 bananas are what you need.

    > 1 round jam sandwich

    Nope, square jelly sandwiches work better.

    > 2 gels

    Nope, 1 gu.

    > 1 protein bar.

    Nope, seven Poptarts.

    > I have a hydration pack that I shall be carrying 2 L of energy drink.

    The solution shoud be made 3.758% stronger than the manufacturer advises.

    > On the trail quest there are no fuel stops but some local shops may be near check points. On the
    > 80k race there will be a fuel stop at 40k with energy drinks/bananas etc - no shops. The other
    > comments I have had are don't go stupid at the start.

    Let me see, a thundering desperate herd at the start of a race....how much more stupid can you get?

    > Any advice is very much welcomed. Obviously I carry tube, tools ,patches, pump, waterproof, phone
    > and a whistle and I have just done maintenance on the bike and given it an hour off road to check
    > its ok! And it has been raining there for the last 2 days and forecast is rain until Monday ( the
    > trailquest is Sunday).

    Don't forget your rubbers and oilskin.

    JD

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    JD thoughtfully penned:
    > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi, In 3 weeks I have an 80 off road race. I have by means of a warm up a trailquest on the
    >> weekend in the same area that lasts 5 hours. ( map read and as many checkpoints as you can in the
    >> time ). I have only ridden 3.5 hours in the past off road max, so what food stuff should I take?
    >> I have had the following advice. 1 banana
    >
    > Nope, 1.75 bananas are what you need.
    >
    >> 1 round jam sandwich
    >
    > Nope, square jelly sandwiches work better.

    if you cut them up into quarters they are more edible if they get squashed.

    Penny

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Trail Mix in the bag or now you can get it in the bar form. I would eat a heaping plate of Pasta
    one to two hours before the starting time. Take along some dried fruit. This all worked for me a
    few weeks ago and for the 1st time I didn't bonk during or after. Oh I forgot the salted pretzels.
    Good luck.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Well I have done it now! Rained twice only lightly but the ground was waterlogged from the last few
    days. 2 L fluid drunk and one power bar eaten. One slow puncture at the end. I managed to loose my
    check card 2.5 hours in and lost the map just at the end. The wind was howling and the map rose high
    over Hergest ridge before disappearing out of sight. I was bloody knackered at the end. I loved it
    and it confirmed why I ride.