Votes: 20 3.7%
  • 90 rpm

Votes: 116 21.5%
  • 100 rpm

Votes: 298 55.3%
  • 110 rpm

Votes: 105 19.5%

• Total voters
ride the track, ride the rollers, then you'll learn about cadence and spining.

Economy of effort.

Originally posted by Bugno
ride the track, ride the rollers, then you'll learn about cadence and spining.

Economy of effort.

That is kinda what I was implying in my thread above. The power outputs involved in track cycling are greater in general due to the shorter time span of the races, and therefore the most ecenomical cadence is higher than endurance cylce trainin.

I dont have cadence on my computer, so what do I know?

I'm estimating my cadence at around 90 & I try to stay on the small chain ring & spin.

There's a guy who rides with us occassionally - older & triathlete. Loves to grind (low cadence high gear - like 53x12!). Its **** sitting behind him because he has a tendency to surge. It takes him too long to wind up to close a small gap.

But, I'm sure it doesn't make any difference in a tri or TT.

I've also read research that says there's no difference in endurance or power output due to cadence (I don't remember but there must have been some sort of limits on this!).

CONCLUSION: group riding needs spinning to effectively hold a wheel. On your own - grinding is optional!

oh - btw - in races I don't care. Whatever works - too much else going on to worry about cadence!

Originally posted by Daniel.lloyd
I seem to remember reading somewhere that optimum cadence depends on power output - so for example, Lance Armstrong finds his optimum cadence for TTing and climbing to be around 110 (I think?) but for your average cyclist, the optimum cadence would be lower as they wouldn't be producing anywhere near the same power.
It's about relative power not absolute power. AFAIK there's no reason why a rider should use higher cadence because he is better.

Here's my tuppence worth.
It's impractical to talk cadence without gearing being mentioned.
53x12, I can hold to 80rpm for long distances.
42x19 I can cycle all day at 95 rpm.
So it's all relative.

You cannot apply a general rule regarding optimum cadence because everyone is different.
I suggest that you try to find a cadence that suits you and stick to it.

My theory is simple - generally speaking - a faster cadence improves riding effeciency because power is being more even distributed (on the push and pull), a slow cadence can result in power being distributed only on the push of the pedal and not the pull. Therefore if I a rider can push and pull pedals evenly with a slow cadence there is nothing wrong with this style.

Would I be wrong in saying before Lance Armstrong "the art of spinning" was not topical. Wait till a slow cadence rider (Ulrich?) wins a few TDF's then spinning wont be so vogue.

Originally posted by cheveley
My theory is simple - generally speaking - a faster cadence improves riding effeciency because power is being more even distributed (on the push and pull), a slow cadence can result in power being distributed only on the push of the pedal and not the pull. Therefore if I a rider can push and pull pedals evenly with a slow cadence there is nothing wrong with this style.
Completely wrong unfortunately.
Would I be wrong in saying before Lance Armstrong "the art of spinning" was not topical. Wait till a slow cadence rider (Ulrich?) wins a few TDF's then spinning wont be so vogue.
Possibly right.

when I was still in school and hadnt started riding any races I used to push the big chain ring all the time. I could do some amazing things and it did not bother my legs. However, when I got back into cycling and bought my trainer I re taught my legs to spin higher cadences. I'm still noweher near you guys, but I find on the trainer that I'm comfortable at 75-85 rpm and on the road it's more like 80-90 rpm with ease.

How do you want to do your work?

Cadence times Power to the crank = Output Wattage

so you can go Hi cadence and low power to get your wattage, or Lo cadence and hi power, and it's all the same to the bike, it is just different to your body.

If you are a big, tough, strongman with lots of power and not so much speed, then you will probably be happier with, and better with, lower cadence.

If you are a lighter type with good speed, and lots of endurance, then you are prob. going to like spinning.

Us older guys sometimes lose some speed as we get older, (Dammit!) and end up pushing bigger and slower. Oh, there's that endurance thing too... Where did I put mine?

Anyway, when I am on an ergometer, I can push a steady wattage and my heart rate will be in a relatively narrow range from say, 80rpm up to 105rpm or so. I haven't really specifically checked these values, but they are somewhere around there.

If I start to push the cadence to 120, then I start to get a steady increase in heart rate and perceived effort. Although I am actually producing the same amount of work, my body seems to disagree!

Just like pushing your upper zones to increase your Lactate threshold, I think you can push your cadence in training to increase your comfortable, steady-state speed and i guess what I would call Cadence Endurance, the ability to spin high gears for hours.

I started in road bikes as a kid, went to mountain bikes (low cadence, hi power), and now road and mountain, and I find that I much prefer hi cadence, even on the mountain bike now.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Whit

No question about it - a small gear at a slow cadence! I think I could ride until I fell asleep using a 39/23 at 60 RPMs.

lots of doubts about everything...

train at a different cadence....get better at that cadence...

Why a faster cadence, ie: LA training at 110 cad.

why indeed ?

That's pretty cool, I think some research has been published that says the average elite cyclist's cadence is 90 rpm. Don't forget that for a constant power output, altering your cadence affects which metabolic pathway is being trained....

Originally posted by edd
lots of doubts about everything...

train at a different cadence....get better at that cadence...

Why a faster cadence, ie: LA training at 110 cad.

why indeed ?

Carmichael has Lance training at such a high cadence in order to utilize his unbelievable "aerobic machine," as opposed to leg strength. Pedaling at such high cadences also forces the rider to make corrections in pedaling efficiency: you just can't pedal that fast without having a smooth spin and the higher numbers force you to make the minor adjustments to acquire such a spin. Once you're in the realm of spin adjustment, you've probably already taken several years to raise your lactate threshold and get your weight down. The elites are looking for those last couple % in increased power output, so they have to do things like increase efficiency of their strokes. Must be nice, eh? Best of luck.

I find that whatever gear is the highest (ie, toughest) that I can still maintain about 100 rpm is the point that I go the fastest. If it is a maintainable spin, my joints thank me for it 10x over and I seem to get a good pace of cardio gains.

Originally posted by pj_s
my endurance training cadence would probably be 95-115. I find that once you're used to it, a higher cadance is easier to maintain for long spells.
my timetrialing cadance is round 110

maybe the optimum depends on the ratio of white/red/pink cells in your muscles?

I just resently got into fast padeling.

pj_s

What gears are you using with that cadence?

I can usually get to about 85 to 100 in 53-19.

For me to feel comfortable above 100 cadence. I found, I have to be in 39-19 or 17. Then it just feels wierd (Like I wasting energy for less speed.). Maybe is the fact I'm use to 80 to 90 on Big Gears (53-17 & 15).

Originally posted by pj_s
my endurance training cadence would probably be 95-115. I find that once you're used to it, a higher cadance is easier to maintain for long spells.
my timetrialing cadance is round 110

maybe the optimum depends on the ratio of white/red/pink cells in your muscles?

I run my cadence 90-95. When I'm in a group and I take the lead I always shift down a gear and spin faster. I loose a little speed <.5 mpg but I last longer up front without burning my legs out.

As for hills, I spin as fast as the climb lets me!

I read somewhere that you will start to loose effencience with cadences above 105. Any truth to this?

I'm one of those guys that has greater efficiency (more speed with a lower heart rate) using slightly larger gears and a slower cadence. However, I don't train like that all the time because after a few days my knees hurt too much.

I like to spin and keep a quicker cadence most of the time. This way I still get the aerobic conditioning even though my overall time/speed suffers. And my knees thank me for it! :D I have enough aches and pains already. The last thing I need to add to the list are knee problems.