endurance/racing road bike training

Cerbin24

Jul 19, 2011
I am currently 16 and have picked up my first road bike almost two months ago. I have always done rides before varying in difference in length averaging around 25 miles. Altough usually I am always on my bike what can i do to improve my performance on my bike as i eventually would like to start racing and build my endurance as high as possible. Besides improving my endurance what can I do to improve my strength for sprints?

Besides this if you know the joliet/plainfield, IL area what would you suggest for good rides for a road bike?

Get, and stay, in touch with the *** Southside Chicago Wheelmen.

Sprinting (power) and endurance are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

It will take years to significantly improve both. Be patient. If you're young, you have plenty of time.

Use a scientific method of measuring, recording and developing a training plan.
If you have to, you can DIY. Hiring a trainer is best.

Joe Freil still has the baseline best book published for training, The Cyclist's Training Bible.

http://www.trainingbible.com/

Do not try to piece together a plan off the internet.

ok thank you, one of the cycling groups i was thinking of signing up with was the Joliet Cycling Club as they are a little closer to home as i still have a while until i even get my drivers lisence....ill go ahead and get intouch with the chicago group anyway as well though.......hard part for me would be having my parents able to drop me off at places as both work full time :/