Enduring Motorists Frustration and Contempt

stratrider

Guest
It's great to commuting again by bike. Yet I didn't miss the anger,
frustration, and contempt that I lives on the faces of many who pass
me buy. I have heard it all in years passed and I can see it again.
"Get that f#@$ thing off the road! That belongs on the pavement!"
The car centric culture of the US is clearly going to be difficult one
to change. Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying cars since my
Matchbox and Hot Wheels days. I went to the car show in Philly this
year and loved seeing all the new rides! Yet we all know the benefits
of cycling as exercise, as fun, as practical transportation and as an
alternative to using our car. So how do we tell the rest of the US
and the rest of the world?

Jim

stratrider wrote:
> It's great to commuting again by bike. Yet I didn't miss the anger,
> frustration, and contempt that I lives on the faces of many who pass
> me buy. I have heard it all in years passed and I can see it again.
> "Get that f#@$ thing off the road! That belongs on the pavement!"
> The car centric culture of the US is clearly going to be difficult one
> to change. Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying cars since my
> Matchbox and Hot Wheels days. I went to the car show in Philly this
> year and loved seeing all the new rides! Yet we all know the benefits
> of cycling as exercise, as fun, as practical transportation and as an
> alternative to using our car. So how do we tell the rest of the US
> and the rest of the world?
>
> Jim

I have a bicycle engine kit, and I just ordered a bicycle specifically
to put it on. So (unless you can hold 30 mph) I will get to curse at all
of you.
~

stratrider came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago
in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent:

> It's great to commuting again by bike. Yet I didn't miss the anger,
> frustration, and contempt that I lives on the faces of many who pass
> me buy. I have heard it all in years passed and I can see it again.
> "Get that f#@$ thing off the road! That belongs on the pavement!"
> The car centric culture of the US is clearly going to be difficult one
> to change. Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying cars since my
> Matchbox and Hot Wheels days. I went to the car show in Philly this
> year and loved seeing all the new rides! Yet we all know the benefits
> of cycling as exercise, as fun, as practical transportation and as an
> alternative to using our car. So how do we tell the rest of the US
> and the rest of the world?
>
> Jim

Hi Jim, Jim here. FTW, we're not related. ;) Thing is, I've found that
drivers in the UK get pissy about people who ride on boring looking diamond
frames, you know the pseudo-ATB, tourers, that sort of bike - or the racer
jocks who've taken it upon themselves to become mobile chicanes. Then
there's me on my semi (more a chopper than a 'bent) with chrome all over
the place, faux tailpipes, death bar, electric assist motor, and sound
system. Turns heads wherever they hear me coming and it brings a smile to
the faces of those poor assholes stuck in perpetual gridlock as I fly past
them at the speed of thought.
--
If you can read this -
The ***** fell off!

stratrider wrote:
:: It's great to commuting again by bike. Yet I didn't miss the anger,
:: frustration, and contempt that I lives on the faces of many who pass
:: me buy. I have heard it all in years passed and I can see it again.
:: "Get that f#@$ thing off the road! That belongs on the pavement!"
:: The car centric culture of the US is clearly going to be difficult
:: one to change. Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying cars since
:: my Matchbox and Hot Wheels days. I went to the car show in Philly
:: this year and loved seeing all the new rides! Yet we all know the
:: benefits of cycling as exercise, as fun, as practical transportation
:: and as an alternative to using our car. So how do we tell the rest
:: of the US and the rest of the world?
::
:: Jim

One person at at time....I let people I meet know I'm a cyclist and ask them
to join me. Then, I always hear them saying: "Hell, no. I afraid because of
the very contempt that I have for cyclists I see them on the road." Then, of
course, I begin the education process. The whole nine yards. Typically, I
get reports back that they have softened their position when the encounter
people riding bikes.