Energy Drinks??

Hell and High Water

Guest
Red Bull
Monster
Etc...

How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
bars, etc.??

TIA,

-Bob

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??

They're wetter.

(Had to be said.) <eg>

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??
>

> TIA,
>
> -Bob

My understanding is that the drinks are primarily oriented to replace
fluids and electrolytes while the bars are primarlily oriented to
replace calories and nutrients.

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??
>

> TIA,
>
> -Bob

I am not familiar with a lot of these products. But I eat a lot of CLIF
bars. I think it is important that a distinction be made between
Regular CLIF bars and the Caffinated CLIF bars. The caffinated ones,
along with a cup of coffee, will get you so wired that your hands will
shake!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I think it is important that a distinction be made between
> Regular CLIF bars and the Caffinated CLIF bars. The caffinated ones,
> along with a cup of coffee, will get you so wired that your hands will
> shake!

Is that a bad thing?

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

"Hell and High Water" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting. I just heard a doctor/nutritionist discussing these the other
day. They rely primarily on caffeine and other stimulants, so they are good
for staying awake during long night study sessions, driving, etc. Harmful
if used to excess. They don't provide nourishment.

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > I think it is important that a distinction be made between
> > Regular CLIF bars and the Caffinated CLIF bars. The caffinated ones,
> > along with a cup of coffee, will get you so wired that your hands will
> > shake!

> Is that a bad thing?
>
> --
>
> __o Kristian Zoerhoff
> _'\(,_ [email protected]
> (_)/ (_)

It's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

archburt wrote:

> I am not familiar with a lot of these products. But I eat a lot of
> CLIF bars. I think it is important that a distinction be made between
> Regular CLIF bars and the Caffinated CLIF bars. The caffinated ones,
> along with a cup of coffee, will get you so wired that your hands will
> shake!

Promise? <eg>

>"Hell and High Water" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Red Bull
>> Monster
>> Etc...
>>

>> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
>> bars, etc.??

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Interesting. I just heard a doctor/nutritionist discussing these the other
>day. They rely primarily on caffeine and other stimulants, so they are good
>for staying awake during long night study sessions, driving, etc. Harmful
>if used to excess. They don't provide nourishment.

Agreed, it's an "apples and oranges" comparison.

More likely candidates for cyclists are:

Gatoraide
Cytomax
Sustained Energy
Etc....

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"Hell and High Water" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??

In the realm of drinks, there's these sorts:

- Water (bottled or tap). Advantages: tap water is nearly free; water is
widely available.

- "Enhanced" Water. Examples: Propel, VitaminWater. Claim natural
ingredients, vitamins, have some sugar. Advantages: you might hydrate more
with these because they are relatively tasty, contain some vitamins, not
revoltingly sweet.

- Standard "sports drinks". Examples: Gatorade, Powerade. These claim to
restore your electrolytes. Come in a variety of colors and flavors not found
in nature. Have lots of sugar. Advantages: widely available, even at your
country road convenience store; so many flavors you're bound to like one of
them.

- Specialized "sports drinks". Examples: Cytomax, GU20. These are more
expensive, and you usually buy them at your LBS. Have scientific-style
claims about how they're better than standard sports drinks for serious
athletes. Advantages: many people swear by them in terms of ability to
physically process. I like GU20 because it is minimally sweet -- I can
sweeten it with honey if I think I'll need the carbs while riding.

- Energy Drinks. Examples are like you cite. These have lots of sugar and
caffeine, and usually B Vitamins. Advantages: The caffeine might give you a
temporary boost.

I don't think you "compare" these to bars. Rather, you might want to try
different types of the above liquids with your favorite bar to see how they
work for you.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > I think it is important that a distinction be made between
> > Regular CLIF bars and the Caffinated CLIF bars. The caffinated ones,
> > along with a cup of coffee, will get you so wired that your hands will
> > shake!

> Is that a bad thing?

If you're a dentist is certainly is !

"Hell and High Water" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Red Bull
> Monster
> Etc...
>

> How do these compare with bars, such as CLIF bars, powerbars, balance
> bars, etc.??

I never use any of them. For drinks I mix up water + pure cranberry juice
+ generic frozen fruit drink concentrate. For food I take along a couple 3
slice sandwiches: multigrain bread with peanut butter [no-additives
just-peanuts variety] and chicken or something similar.

Never tried them myself, but I've heard the ones like you mentioned will
rot your teeth about seven times faster than Coke.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site: