Energy Drinks

spinncognito

Jul 31, 2007
Hey folks, new here and fairly new to cycling as well. Just curious about who uses energy drinks? I got sick of Red Bull and Monster because all I got was the sugar-high jitters and then a hard crash. I recently discovered a healthy alternative call A.C.T (Advanced Cell Therapy) that gives a steady stream of focused energy and is all natural. Great stuff! Best part is that it comes in 17gm pouches that you mix with water or juice. Anyone else use this? Any other good products out there?

Thanx!

Paul

spinncognito said:
Hey folks, new here and fairly new to cycling as well. Just curious about who uses energy drinks? I got sick of Red Bull and Monster because all I got was the sugar-high jitters and then a hard crash. I recently discovered a healthy alternative call A.C.T (Advanced Cell Therapy) that gives a steady stream of focused energy and is all natural. Great stuff! Best part is that it comes in 17gm pouches that you mix with water or juice. Anyone else use this? Any other good products out there?

Thanx!

Paul
I like a fruit smoothie diluted with water which i find refreshing and nutritious but a guy from my local cycling club swears by 9 parts water 1 part coca cola.
Can't say i've tried but give it a whirl if you like the idea

Well as you all can see I am a newbie too and am trying to find some answers that can help me out. Once I had an energy drink and was not aware of the advantages or the disadvantages of the same and consequently I did not feel well and for this reason I had to be out from the cycling arena for quite sometime, so I would like to ask if there are problems too that can surface by consuming such energy drinks.

It seems like you're advertising for this ACT stuff. are you an employee of a company that manufactures, distributes, or advertises this ACT miracle stimulant?

Rockstar sugar free or no carb (basically the same drink) both give me a boost without making me jittery. Of course, coffee does the same thing so i dont tend to spend the 2/can very often.

i reccommend boosting your b-vitamin intake and eating properly (fruits and veggies help with energy as well and are low-calorie for the most part). This will do FAR more for energy than any energy drink out there. Also, get 7-8 hours of sleep everynight.

energy drinks are way overrated...

I a huge fan of the Rockstar Sugar Free cans as well. Price wise yes it is expensive but buy in bulk. Also, within 3 hours after drinking one make sure you eat something. It helps the "downer" part of the drink and make sit easier to go on through the day. Again, most likely not the best way to get a pick me up but when your dragging you can't just stuff a bunch of fruits and vegtables in your mouth and go.......Good Luck.

Hi, Paul.

Juicing does wonders for one's energy levels. Once you get into the routine of juicing your own drinks, a nice mix of fruits and veggies, you'll never want to buy premade, processed drinks again.

The best thing you can do for your body is to give it all natural foods. Those energy drinks are a poor substitute. Your skin will be vibrant and your stamina lasts throughout the day. For the women on this forum, juicing is a far better investment than overpriced creme and the best skin care and anti-aging regime out there.

But, I'm not a hardcore cyclist. I ride to keep fit, so my needs are pretty simple and may not be appropriate for those more seriously inclined. A banana and water before a ride suffice for me since I drink veggie juice everyday.

I'm not big on energy drinks, but has anyone tried this ACT stuff? LOL at Zigoat's suspicion of advertising :)

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

mongooseboy said:
(fruits and veggies help with energy as well and are low-calorie for the most part)....
I think I know what you're saying here, but-

Calories are a measure of energy, how can something give you more energy and be low in calories? I think you're trying to say, given the vitamins and minerals found in vegies you'll feel more 'energitic' or just feel better all round..Sorry just being picky:p

Jono L said:

Calories are a measure of energy, how can something give you more energy and be low in calories? I think you're trying to say, given the vitamins and minerals found in vegies you'll feel more 'energitic' or just feel better all round..Sorry just being picky:p
Fruits and vegetables have lots of B vitamins, which help your body to use the energy that you get from other foods.

feeling more energetic/better is only part of it, eating healthy/natural really does give you more energy. dont believe me, try some venison with a side of steamed veggies, very low fat, and better flavor than beef :)

Klodifan said:
Hi, Paul.

Juicing does wonders for one's energy levels. Once you get into the routine of juicing your own drinks, a nice mix of fruits and veggies, you'll never want to buy premade, processed drinks again.
can You share with some example (reciept) of own mixed juice drink (do You add sugar or salt)
Mine is:
1/2 orange (aprox.60 ml) 4 tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 litre water
I am not sure how effective this drink is compare to comercial energy drinks since i never used them. But i have been told that it is not efective enough and i shoud switch to powerbar or somethig like that. I am not sure coud it be so much better or I need it as i do ride only about 6-7 hours weekly. Can anybody compare home made energy drinks with comercial ones- how much better are they.

catlike said:
can You share with some example (reciept) of own mixed juice drink (do You add sugar or salt)
Mine is:
1/2 orange (aprox.60 ml) 4 tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 litre water
I am not sure how effective this drink is compare to comercial energy drinks since i never used them. But i have been told that it is not efective enough and i shoud switch to powerbar or somethig like that. I am not sure coud it be so much better or I need it as i do ride only about 6-7 hours weekly. Can anybody compare home made energy drinks with comercial ones- how much better are they.
I NEVER add sugar or salt since there is plenty of sugar already in the fruits themselves.

anyways, here are some recipes:

Wheatgrass Energy Drink:

1 handful of wheatgrass
1 handful of spinach
1 spear of pineapple

Post Workout Power Punch:
1 lemon
1 orange
1 pear
1 apple
5 large broccoli florets

Lunch in a Glass:
1 papaya
1 kiwi
1/2 head of cabbage
2 celery stalks
1 broccoli head

Power Punch:
2 cups kale
2 cups parsley
1 cup spinach
1 medium apple
3 celery stalks
1/2 green bell pepper or

4 celery stalks
1/2 cucumber
1/2 cup spinach
1 medium apple
1/2 green bell pepper

Energy Boost:
1 carrot
1 celery stalk w/leaves
1 beet root
few leaves of parsley
lew leaves of lettuce
few leaves of watercress
few leaves of spinach
3 tomatoes

and for my skin, everyday I always drink one glass of
1 english cucumber
few handfuls of baby carrots of 2 long carrots
1 apple

If you need to sweeten any of the recipes, just add an apple.

I have been taking the sublingual b-complex 1/2 hour before along with granola/nut/chocolate bar, yogurt, and water. Also take a L-arginine supplement .

This b-complex stuff is great for stamina and energy. B-12 increases the production of red blood cells. Helps with oxygen uptake and the other b vitamins in the mix help breakdown carbs to energy.

Been doing this for the last month and have noticed improvements in stamina, energy and post workout recovery.

mongooseboy said:
eating healthy/natural really does give you more energy.
No it doesnt:) . It makes you feel better while giving you less energy, that's why it's 'healthy'.

Jono L said:

I'm new here.. and i like you, i get the impression very, very few, can distinguish between an "energy" source and a "stimulant".