Energy Gels

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by meowcatz, May 12, 2010.

1. meowcatz

meowcatz New Member

Is there a noticable difference when using things like Powerbar gels or Hammer gel?
    Right now I just eat a granola bar or fruit leather on rides, but I am wondering if it is worth it to try these energy gels.
    The effectiveness obviously depends on the individual; I am just interested in the experience other people have had with these products.

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Gel's that contain caffeine are the best :eek:

3. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

I tried the GU chocolate while on a ride with one of my tweeps about a month ago, gave me quite a boost without the queasiness I tend to get from some caffeinated stuff.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Mainly it's down to convenience. If you like chowing down on a granola bar, and have time to chew it, then stick with it. If you're in a situation where you need to eat and need something that's easy to swallow then gels are where it's at.

For the most part, calories are calories - you just have to find what works best for you under the riding situations that you face.

After a few hours of sucking down gels many folk like to have some 'real' food.

Personally, I prefer something in the drink - Hammer Perpetuem is my drink of choice on rides over 2 hours. Hammer HEED on shorter, but hot, rides. If it's a long hot ride I'll add some HEED to Perpetuem - but use 1/2 a scoop less of Perpetuem. The last thing you need on a hot day is a really strong carbo drink.

5. choffman

choffman New Member

Gels are a good place to get your sugar and electrolyte boost while on the road. It's quick, easy and convenient. I like the caffeinated versions for days where I am really looking for a bit of a kick. The tend to start working through your system in about 30-45 minutes.

Check out products that Don't contain Hugh Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is not real sugar and your digestive system can have difficulty digesting.

Good Luck!

6. NoRacer

NoRacer New Member

What I'm usually looking for is what kind of energy I would be getting from these foods--sustained or fast.

Something like a PowerBar or CliffBar would have a mix of ingredients that provide a low glycemic index (GI) energy and some high glycemic index (GI) energy tending toward the low. Gels, jelly beans, glucose tablets tend to lean toward the high GI.

The high GI ingredients usually provides a fast boost to blood sugar--they can be utilized by your body very quickly. The low GI ingredients provide a more sustained level of energy over time.

So, depending on your situation on the bike, you could go to one source or the other.

7. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I just use gels when racing. In the heat of competition I don't want to be trying to chew on something and I need the relatively fast energy they (possibly) provide.

Training I have carbo drinks (mixed from concentrate) and muesli bars.