engineering student ideas

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by aramos2, Jun 1, 2007.

1. aramos2

aramos2 New Member

Hey guys,
    Im an engineering student and i have to come up with some kind of product that i could design (make prototype) and possibly sell.

I had an idea that i am working on. I always have a problem with seeing my maps and directions and such when i am cycling. So i am proposing a sort of map holder.
    The map holder itself would be made out of clear plexiglass with a carbon fiber or alum frame. That would be 2 layers of layers of 1/4 inch plexi to house the electronics (led bottom light (3 or 4 strips) for illumination) possibly a with a recharable plug area so that would eliminate that need for batteries. 1 layer 1/8 inch on top which will enclose that map or other documents.

For the mounting i was thinking some sort of pivitable / adjustable bracket on the top tube or maybe on the bars i need some ideas for this.

i have access to endless tools, working machine shop co-op this semester with access to water jet cutter.

If anyone would be interested in a final product let me know!! id probably make them at cost for u guys :)

Tags:

2. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

What discipline are you? I'm doing 3rd year civil at Auckland.

If I may offer a suggestion on the marketing side, there are GPS devices which are probably occupy your niche.

3. willocrew

willocrew New Member

Sounds interesting. Although I prefer to look at a map before I ride, memorize any route changes and go before the rain comes.

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Sorry Aramos2 but I have to agree with xxamr_corpxx and willowcrew. I tend to look at the map and memorize the route before I leave, and if I need directions while I'm on the bike, I use my GPS unit. Therefore I can't see where I would need your product, although it would have been very useful pre-GPS.

Now what I would really be interested in is if someone would come up with something that would keep me from having to swallow bugs while riding and breathing through my mouth. I would still have to be able to use my waterbottles though, and it shouldn't reduce the airflow.

5. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Great minds must think a like. Although some earlier than others. See link for the great idea. :eek: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10209&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

6. Eden

Eden New Member

hmmmm - sounds like a rather large item to have strapped to ones handlbars. As far as appeal goes I'm thinking it would be very limited to touring cyclists, randoneurs, or those who don't mind traveling with a lot of clutter. At that most handlebar bags that you would see on such cyclists already have a map holder built in.

what would I like to see....
    how about a rechargable air cyclinder - like a co2 cartridge, but something I could stick in a recharger after I've used it rather than having to buy new cartridges. It would have to be small and relatively light. (the charger could be any size...)

7. saintsfan342000

saintsfan342000 New Member

Hey that's some great initiative on your part, but honestly I don't know how many people would go for it. I ususally just put my map/directions in a zip-loc bag and tape it to me stem, and that works well enough. Maybe some folks who don't want to look that trashy would opt for your idea though.

I'm studying civil engineering at U of Texas, and I too have ideas coming to mind all the time. What do yall think about this? An alarm clock, that when it goes off, immediately tells you the local weather and forrecast.

8. RussB

RussB New Member

Sounds interesting, But the size will have to be limited, Also if it causes increased wind resistance, it will never sell. Most cyclists will require the best in aerodynamics, and as little weight as possible. I see people trying to trim grams when deciding between parts.

9. Matt888

Matt888 New Member

What about the same concept but done with a head up display by an LED or something built directly into the handlebar. You could incorporate GPS, Bike comp and HR monitor. Now that'll test you resources.;)

10. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Also include mobile phone, AM/FM radio, MP3, video calling, cameras...

11. JTE83

JTE83 Member

When I need to know where I am, I unfold a map that's on 11 x 17 paper...