England is the most dangerous place in the world to ride a bike. T or F?

Durangodave said:
Is my impression of cycling in England correct?

1. Narrow roads
2. High speed traffic
3. Abundance of wannabe F1 drivers
4. People will pass you NOW, not wait until it's safe.

Very different from my experiences in France, and even Scotland, in the highlands. Even in the USA, I've never felt that threatened by cars.
Japan was pretty bad as well. Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima. They respect the cyclist but so many cars and many, many pedestrians. I got off and walked most of the time.

I've been knocked off twice during the last 6 months. On both occasions, the main imapact was felt on my palms, wrists and bloodied knuckles.
The first classic was (again) caused by rain and a dumb taxi driver. I was passing towards a roundabout and then saw this taxi coming out rapidly on my left. He hadn't seem me so I tried to brake but the rain was slowing down the brake response. I realised there was nothing I could do and that I was gonna crash.
Next came a huge thud as my bike went straight into the cab and I then rocketed out of the seat, bounced over the car-roof and then slid onto the concrete.
One or two girls screamed and cars stopped as drivers cautiously approached to survey the damage.
I stood up. The taxi driver was terrified and thoroughly shaken, apologising and admitting it was his fault. I dusted myself down and told the audience I had no broken bones - just a bit shaken up. The driver gave me his number, I put the chain back on my bike and rode off to my appointment.
That night, when I went for a ****, I felt some pain in my sides that had me spooked. Eventually I recovered but I'm even more cautious on the road.

Eldrack said:
I've ridden from Lands end to John O'Groats without any problems. Fine you have a few irate and annoying drivers who think you shouldn't be on the road and hoot at you. Apart from that its all been good for me. Only crash I had was caused by a pedestrian in a town centre.

Having said that, I can't beat poor old Tyler Hamilton. He crashed in the TDF 2 years ago when a reckless sprinter brought the entire pack down in his wake. Hamilton's Spanish trainer was furious with Robby Mcewan, I believe, and told the press so in no uncertain terms. He said Mcewan and the other sprinter should be banned from the race as a danger to other riders. It was their behaviour in the mass sprint that brought everyone down.
Mcewan for his part had had the skin ripped off his buttocks and was in agony so he strolled over to the guilty sprinter and called him every f word under the sun (as this same guy lay on the floor, surrounded by medics).
Tyler had cuts and wounds all over and his back was hurt in the fall.
I believe Robin Williams of Mork and Mindy fame witnessed the crash and was stunned by the violence of all the crashing bikes and battered bodies.
I have had a taste of how it feels and can tell you that crashing is a pretty miserable experience. My last encounter was a white van knocking me off at a junction just 2 months ago and my thumb's still acheing.

MountainPro said:
yep, Englandshire...where the English (spit) live...
like Yankshire, where the Americans live...
Guinnessshire, where the Irish live..
Ozshire, where Aussie live and Jockshire, where us Scots live..

are you stoopid?
And Kiwis live in...UpsideDownClosedOnSundayshire.

stevebaby said:
And Kiwis live in...UpsideDownClosedOnSundayshire.
yeah, its strange that they live on the bottom of the planet yet they dont fall off...someone must have invented velcro for shoes.

imagine if the pubs n Aus closed on a Sunday....all those poor homeless men.

Never been there, but you never seen bad drivers until you come to Florida. The old people never cease to amaze me, and I'm a police officer!

Durangodave said:
South Africa claims the prize, so far. ;)
Congratulations, and my condolences.
I'll put in a vote for Kuala Lumpur being more dangerous. I got hit by cars there on multiple occassions (of course I did hit a few cars myself). My memories of riding in Jakarta were worse still. London looks like a cycling wonderland in comparison (I've been there, but haven't ridden).

I prefer Worchestershire -- on my steak!

tmuk55 said:
MountainPro said:
i didnt feel threatened by traffic on the few city cycling adventure through Englandshire...
MountainPro said:
ENGLANDSHIRE?

WHAT the heck is "Englandshire", when it's at home?

FYI: Shire is the arcaic name for "County", and a shire will almost always take the name of its main city, i.e.
Gloucester > Gloucestershire
Nottinghasm > Nottinghamshire
Chester > Cheshire
Buckingham > Buckinghamshire
York > Yorkshire
Derby > Derbyshire.

Some exceptions are Wiltshire (no City called Wilt) and Berkshire (no city called Berk! :eek:)

England is a Nation, has been for over 800 years! :( According to Patriots "there'll always be an England!" not true of shires!

News just in...

Tony Blair has decreed that all cyclists shall equip their bicycles with Bells. If you are caught by the fuzz sans Bell you are liable for an ON THE SPOT FINE OF UP TO £2500...

I jest not. :(

Personally I don't think that Bells will save a single cyclist or pedestrian, and I haven't seen any evidence that a bell is more effective than a cyclist bellowing "WATCH OUT !!!" (or equivelent)... I doubt that anyone *genuinely* thinks it'll make a difference, so we are left to wonder what other motives they may have for this legislation.

darkboong said:
News just in...

Tony Blair has decreed that all cyclists shall equip their bicycles with Bells. If you are caught by the fuzz sans Bell you are liable for an ON THE SPOT FINE OF UP TO £2500...

Personally I don't think that Bells will save a single cyclist or pedestrian, and I haven't seen any evidence that a bell is more effective than a cyclist bellowing "WATCH OUT !!!" (or equivelent)... I doubt that anyone *genuinely* thinks it'll make a difference, so we are left to wonder what other motives they may have for this legislation.
I'd like to try and see him enforce that one!!! Can you honestly believe a copper's gonna stop you for not having a bell as you shoot past him at around 20-30mph??? Classic Tony!!! :D

darkboong said:
News just in...

its been law for over a year now...that is that all new bikes must be sold with bells...i bought my daughter and wife new bikes in summer 2005 and both came with bells 'tringgg tringgg'....the roads are a safer place for them...(not).

we were out cycling soon after we bought them and after an hour solid of my daughter going 'tringgg tringgg' it was a case of....'if you hit that bell one more time were gonna stuff it up your left nostril....SHUT UP!'

MountainPro said:
its been law for over a year now...that is that all new bikes must be sold with bells...i bought my daughter and wife new bikes in summer 2005 and both came with bells 'tringgg tringgg'....the roads are a safer place for them...(not).

we were out cycling soon after we bought them and after an hour solid of my daughter going 'tringgg tringgg' it was a case of....'if you hit that bell one more time were gonna stuff it up your left nostril....SHUT UP!'
So Blair is trying to cause in fighting from the cycling community before the motorists kill us all???