English measurement of wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rich, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I bought a used bike that came with a Ccateye computer. I found the docs for the computer on the
    Cateye website, but the table for the wheel size is mostly in English format.

    What does 650x23 translate to in the English standard.

    26x??

    Thanks!

    Tags:

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, | they are not certain; and as far as they
    | are certain, | they do not refer to reality. --Albert Einstein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:38:06 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A shy person wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a used bike that came with a Ccateye computer. I found the docs for the computer on the
    >> Cateye website, but the table for the wheel size is mostly in English format.
    >>
    >> What does 650x23 translate to in the English standard.
    >
    >See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

    Lots of useful information on Sheldon's page, but not the answer to the shy person's question. Where
    did he find 650x23? The largest tire listed on the web page is 27" (or 630). Is there actually a 650
    made anywhere? The largest I've ever heard of is 635, used predominantly on Asian utility bikes.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Everett wrote:

    >> A shy person wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought a used bike that came with a Ccateye computer. I found the docs for the computer on the
    >>> Cateye website, but the table for the wheel size is mostly in English format.
    >>>
    >>> What does 650x23 translate to in the English standard.
    >>
    >> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html
    >
    > Lots of useful information on Sheldon's page, but not the answer to the shy person's question.
    > Where did he find 650x23? The largest tire listed on the web page is 27" (or 630). Is there
    > actually a 650 made anywhere? The largest I've ever heard of is 635, used predominantly on Asian
    > utility bikes.

    650c wheels are smaller than 700c. It's a modern metric size, near 26", used on some triathlon, time
    trial and small road bikes.

    650 is mentioned on the above page but there's only one tyre example. I would measure the
    circumference manually: inflate tyres to usual pressure, mark tyre and road, sit on bike, move
    forward one wheel revolution (or more), measure distance.

    ~PB

    John Everett wrote:

    > Lots of useful information on Sheldon's page, but not the answer to the shy person's question.
    > Where did he find 650x23? The largest tire listed on the web page is 27" (or 630). Is there
    > actually a 650 made anywhere? The largest I've ever heard of is 635, used predominantly on Asian
    > utility bikes.

    That "650" is not an ISO size, it's part of a French national designation, more properly "650C" in
    this instance. The ISO size is 571 mm

    I list the "650 x 25" (25-571) size on my site. The 23 mm version would be 4 mm smaller in diameter.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    Sheldon "Tires" Brown +---------------------------------+
    | Is ambivalence a bad thing? | Well, yes and no. | -- Garrison Keillor |
    +---------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:38:06 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A shy person wrote:
    > >
    > >> I bought a used bike that came with a Ccateye computer. I found the docs for the computer on
    > >> the Cateye website, but the table for the wheel size is mostly in English format.
    > >>
    > >> What does 650x23 translate to in the English standard.
    > >
    > >See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lots of useful information on Sheldon's page, but not the answer to the shy person's question.
    > Where did he find 650x23? The largest tire listed on the web page is 27" (or 630). Is there
    > actually a 650 made anywhere? The largest I've ever heard of is 635, used predominantly on Asian
    > utility bikes.

    I think the OP intended to program a computer for a 650-23C triathlon wheel. Those are smaller than
    700C wheels and roll out at something like 1935mm. Most computers use that rollout directly, some
    drop a digit (193).

  7. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:27:55 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I wrote:

    >>>See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html
    >
    >John Everett wrote:
    >
    >> Lots of useful information on Sheldon's page, but not the answer to the shy person's question.
    >> Where did he find 650x23? The largest tire listed on the web page is 27" (or 630). Is there
    >> actually a 650 made anywhere? The largest I've ever heard of is 635, used predominantly on Asian
    >> utility bikes.
    >
    >That "650" is not an ISO size, it's part of a French national designation, more properly "650C" in
    >this instance. The ISO size is 571 mm

    You know, I knew that. I guess I was just suffering from a temporary case of brain fade. :-(