English or Italian bottom bracket

trek-man

Apr 10, 2005
G'day all
Question time again. The frame im restoring is nearly there. I am looking to replace the sad old original bottom bracket with a campy one to keep everything in sinc. The frame is an old steel Malvern star and the original bottom bracket is a spindle with the two end peices forming the cups for the bearings. The axle has threaded sections at the ends and the existing cranks slip over the axle and are held in place by a nut onto the threaded section of the axle. Probably the standard cheap **** setup of the late seventies early eighties.
The bike has been reno'ed with full campy xenon so far with a campy crank set coming to complete it. Question is, would the bottom bracket i need have an italian or english thread and is there a simple way to find out what the frame is threaded for?
cheers
Mick

trek-man wrote:
> G'day all

<Snip>

> The bike has been reno'ed with full campy xenon so far with a campy
> crank set coming to complete it. Question is, would the bottom bracket
> i need have an italian or english thread and is there a simple way to
> find out what the frame is threaded for?
> cheers
> Mick

If it's a Malvern Star I'd guess its 68mm english threaded, to find out
put the old bottom brack back in, if both threads tightento the right it
is Italian threaded (if it is italian threaded you'll need to constantly
re-tighten the BB as it will tend to loosen)

Cheers

Joel

trek-man said:
G'day all
Question time again. The frame im restoring is nearly there. I am looking to replace the sad old original bottom bracket with a campy one to keep everything in sinc. The frame is an old steel Malvern star and the original bottom bracket is a spindle with the two end peices forming the cups for the bearings. The axle has threaded sections at the ends and the existing cranks slip over the axle and are held in place by a nut onto the threaded section of the axle. Probably the standard cheap **** setup of the late seventies early eighties.
The bike has been reno'ed with full campy xenon so far with a campy crank set coming to complete it. Question is, would the bottom bracket i need have an italian or english thread and is there a simple way to find out what the frame is threaded for?
cheers
Mick

The frame would most likely be english thread and if memory serves correctly one way to tell is that italian have both bb lockrings with a RH thread while on the english ones one (the right, I think) has a LH thread to stop it coming undone.

Dunno about the Campag BB

Resound said:
The frame would most likely be english thread and if memory serves correctly one way to tell is that italian have both bb lockrings with a RH thread while on the english ones one (the right, I think) has a LH thread to stop it coming undone.

Dunno about the Campag BB
Cool thanks all, its an English thread which puts me one step closer to a whole bike. :D