Enjoyable Commuting (a new commuters journal)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi all,

    Havent done an installment for a while so I thought i'd give you an update.

    I've had some stinkers of rides but this morning I really enjoyed the ride in - why? I dont know!
    Just got here and thought, im glad I did that! I made it to work in my fastest time ever (40
    minutes) - usually takes 44-45 mins and I wasnt REALLY pushing it, I relaxed and enjoyed the ride
    for a change!

    I also managed my fastest maximum speed ever this AM - 34.1 MPH (remember im on a MTB) which Im
    quite proud of! Also felt a lot more in control of the bike this morning. My average speed hovers
    around 11mph (any good?) and peaked once at 11.9 mph. I have 2 large hills to ride up on the way to
    work where I usually end up doing 6-7 MPH!

    At the moment im in "smug mode" and cant wait to ride home later! Sad isnt it!

    Anyway, I just hope I can survive the winter - if I can then ill be a fully fledged cycle commuter!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Lee"
    > Anyway, I just hope I can survive the winter - if I can then ill be a
    fully
    > fledged cycle commuter!

    Well done. Yes, the test comes in wintertime, but it's mostly a mental thing though. Last winter I
    had to get out of bed at 0515, look out of the window to see it snowing and blowing a gale, get all
    togged up in warm gear and ride past a nice cosy car in the drive for an hour's ride in the winter
    blackness.

    I must admit, it took some doing not opting for the car on days like that, but once you've made that
    mental leap, then you'll never go back :)

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    > "Lee"
    > > Anyway, I just hope I can survive the winter - if I can then ill be a
    > fully
    > > fledged cycle commuter!
    >
    > Well done. Yes, the test comes in wintertime, but it's mostly a mental
    > thing though. Last winter I had to get out of bed at 0515, look out of the
    > window to see it snowing and blowing a gale, get all togged up in warm
    gear
    > and ride past a nice cosy car in the drive for an hour's ride in the
    winter
    > blackness.
    >
    > I must admit, it took some doing not opting for the car on days like that, but once you've made
    > that mental leap, then you'll never go back :)
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Well my "ultimate" goal is to sell the car (as I really dont need it). Until that time, putting
    it in storage (a relatives garage) would remove the temptation - im looking forward to the
    challenge tho!

    Lee

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > Last winter I had to get out of bed at 0515, look out of the window to see it snowing and blowing
    > a gale, get all togged up in warm
    gear
    > and ride past a nice cosy car in the drive for an hour's ride in the
    winter
    > blackness.

    The secret is not to look ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Lee"

    > Well my "ultimate" goal is to sell the car (as I really dont need it). Until that time, putting it
    > in storage (a relatives garage) would remove
    the
    > temptation - im looking forward to the challenge tho!

    I've cut down on car supermarket trips as well by using Sainsburys, Iceland and Tesco home
    delivery. I order all the stuff at work on nights in work's time and it gets delivered to my door
    whenever I want. Downside is, I don't get to use enough petrol to take advantage of the 4p a litre
    off coupon! Simon

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    > "Lee"
    > >
    > > Well my "ultimate" goal is to sell the car (as I really dont need it). Until that time, putting
    > > it in storage (a relatives garage) would remove
    > the
    > > temptation - im looking forward to the challenge tho!
    >
    > I've cut down on car supermarket trips as well by using Sainsburys,
    Iceland
    > and Tesco home delivery. I order all the stuff at work on nights in work's time and it gets
    > delivered to my door whenever I want. Downside is, I
    don't
    > get to use enough petrol to take advantage of the 4p a litre off coupon! Simon

    Well my fiancee has a car which we use for shopping etc. - good idea with the home delivery tho -
    used to like to do that! Not done it for a while!

  7. Dene Wilby

    Dene Wilby Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]com says...

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Lee"
    > > > Anyway, I just hope I can survive the winter - if I can then ill be a
    > > fully
    > > > fledged cycle commuter!
    > >
    > > Well done. Yes, the test comes in wintertime, but it's mostly a mental
    > > thing though. Last winter I had to get out of bed at 0515, look out of the
    > > window to see it snowing and blowing a gale, get all togged up in warm
    > gear
    > > and ride past a nice cosy car in the drive for an hour's ride in the
    > winter
    > > blackness.
    > >
    > > I must admit, it took some doing not opting for the car on days like that, but once you've made
    > > that mental leap, then you'll never go back :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
    > >

    > Well my "ultimate" goal is to sell the car (as I really dont need it). Until that time, putting
    > it in storage (a relatives garage) would remove the temptation - im looking forward to the
    > challenge tho!
    >
    > Lee

    Sell the car now and remove the temptation and in the process make more money before it devalues any
    more. And with the money get a new bike. I justify the money I spend on the bike with the fact that
    I am saving so much money on bus fares, road tax, servicing, petrol, car parking etc. etc.

    I started off by selling my car and riding my mountain bike to work but in March decided to get a
    road bike. Now, at the very least, I like to do 20 miles trip to work. My wife takes the only car we
    have to work so there is no temptation there. My 2 options are ride the bike or catch the bus. There
    really is no competition, i'll take the bike any day and in any weather rather than have to face a
    miserable bus driver every day. I look at it like this, a straight run to work is 6 miles. If it's
    teaming down with rain i'll get the mountain bike out and ride that. So instead of leaving the front
    door and walk to the bus stop, I can already be halfway down the road.

    Dene

  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > Sell the car now and remove the temptation and in the process make more money before it devalues
    > any more. And with the money get a new bike. I justify the money I spend on the bike with the fact
    > that I am saving so much money on bus fares, road tax, servicing, petrol, car parking etc. etc.
    >
    > I started off by selling my car and riding my mountain bike to work but in March decided to get a
    > road bike. Now, at the very least, I like to do 20 miles trip to work. My wife takes the only car
    > we have to work so there is no temptation there. My 2 options are ride the bike or catch the bus.
    > There really is no competition, i'll take the bike any day and in any weather rather than have to
    > face a miserable bus driver every day. I look at it like this, a straight run to work is 6 miles.
    > If it's teaming down with rain i'll get the mountain bike out and ride that. So instead of leaving
    > the front door and walk to the bus stop, I can already be halfway down the road.
    >
    > Dene

    I tell you, its VERY tempting. I dont think ill get much for my car tho - maybe £500 if im VERY
    lucky! I take your point tho, if its not there what choice do I have.... I will have to give serious
    consideration to all these points I think...

    The only things I amn worried about are:

    1. Rain, had a wet ride, didnt enjoy it much but was wearing shorts & t shirt - perhaps could be
    better clothed!
    2. Cold, came in with leggings this AM and found it better than shorts :p - think a balaclava may
    be useful when the wind starts biting - suggestions appreciated! What do you guys wear in Winter?
    3. Snow - how do you guys handle this?

    Lee

  9. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sell the car now and remove the temptation and in the process make more money before it devalues
    > any more. And with the money get a new bike. I justify the money I spend on the bike with the fact
    > that I am saving so much money on bus fares, road tax, servicing, petrol, car parking etc. etc.

    I sold my car 11 months ago, on the basis that if I need one, it's cheaper to hire one. I've driven
    three times in that time, each time was to help out other people. I've not hired a car once.

    Sell the car when you feel like the time is right, but make sure you have the right equipment to get
    through the winter. I bought a Buff last winter. Despite making me a look like a terrorist, it is a
    great bit of kit. Albeit expensive.

    http://www.buff.es/ (noisy website though).

  10. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sell the car now and remove the temptation and in the process make more money before it
    > > devalues any more. And with the money get a new bike. I justify the money I spend on the bike
    > > with the fact that I am saving so much money on bus fares, road tax, servicing, petrol, car
    > > parking etc. etc.
    > >

    > I sold my car 11 months ago, on the basis that if I need one, it's cheaper to hire one. I've
    > driven three times in that time, each time was to help
    out
    > other people. I've not hired a car once.
    >
    > Sell the car when you feel like the time is right, but make sure you have the right equipment to
    > get through the winter. I bought a Buff last
    winter.
    > Despite making me a look like a terrorist, it is a great bit of kit.
    Albeit
    > expensive.
    >
    > http://www.buff.es/ (noisy website though).

    May have to investigate the buff later - for the life of me I cant see where to buy them!? How
    much are they?

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Sell the car now and remove the temptation and in the process make
    more
    > > > money before it devalues any more. And with the money get a new bike.
    > > > justify the money I spend on the bike with the fact that I am saving
    so
    > > > much money on bus fares, road tax, servicing, petrol, car parking etc. etc.
    > > >

    > > I sold my car 11 months ago, on the basis that if I need one, it's
    cheaper
    > > to hire one. I've driven three times in that time, each time was to help
    > out
    > > other people. I've not hired a car once.
    > >
    > > Sell the car when you feel like the time is right, but make sure you
    have
    > > the right equipment to get through the winter. I bought a Buff last
    > winter.
    > > Despite making me a look like a terrorist, it is a great bit of kit.
    > Albeit
    > > expensive.
    > >
    > > http://www.buff.es/ (noisy website though).
    > >

    > May have to investigate the buff later - for the life of me I cant see
    where
    > to buy them!? How much are they?

    I got mine at John Lewis ... too blooming expensive. Maybe an aged auntie may be able to knit
    something up :)

    I think it was twenty quid or so. They were highly recommended on here though, and I agree.

    www.buyabuff.com do them for about a tenner. Never used them though.

  12. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "elyob" <newsprof[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > more
    > so
    > > > >

    > > > I sold my car 11 months ago, on the basis that if I need one, it's
    > cheaper
    > > > to hire one. I've driven three times in that time, each time was to
    help
    > > out
    > > > other people. I've not hired a car once.
    > > >
    > > > Sell the car when you feel like the time is right, but make sure you
    > have
    > > > the right equipment to get through the winter. I bought a Buff last
    > > winter.
    > > > Despite making me a look like a terrorist, it is a great bit of kit.
    > > Albeit
    > > > expensive.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.buff.es/ (noisy website though).
    > > >

    > > May have to investigate the buff later - for the life of me I cant see
    > where
    > > to buy them!? How much are they?
    > >

    > I got mine at John Lewis ... too blooming expensive. Maybe an aged auntie may be able to knit
    > something up :)
    >
    > I think it was twenty quid or so. They were highly recommended on here though, and I agree.
    >
    > www.buyabuff.com do them for about a tenner. Never used them though.

    In fact, the polar buff is £18.50 .. this is the one I use.

  13. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:rEI4b.2154$%[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Lee"
    > <[email protected]com>
    > > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > more
    > bike.
    > > so
    > etc.

    > > cheaper
    > help
    > > > out

    > > have
    > > > winter.
    > > > Albeit

    > > > May have to investigate the buff later - for the life of me I cant see
    > > where
    > > > to buy them!? How much are they?
    > > >

    > > I got mine at John Lewis ... too blooming expensive. Maybe an aged
    auntie
    > > may be able to knit something up :)
    > >
    > > I think it was twenty quid or so. They were highly recommended on here though, and I agree.
    > >
    > > www.buyabuff.com do them for about a tenner. Never used them though.
    > >

    > In fact, the polar buff is £18.50 .. this is the one I use.

    Any difference between polar buff and buff original?

  14. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Any difference between polar buff and buff original?

    Polar buff has a fleece portion which gives more warmth. (100% Polyester microfibre with Polar
    100 Fleece )

  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

  16. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    My hard hat for work requires replacing every 3 years to comply with H&S regulations because of its
    exposure to UV radiation.

    Should my cycling helmet be replaced periodically for similar reasons, there is no mention of a
    maximum life on the stickers that I can see?

  17. Jason Wyatt

    Jason Wyatt Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:00:04 +0100, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

    >3. Snow - how do you guys handle this?

    I love snow anyway, but a properly equiped snowy commute is the highlight of the year for me. Too
    bad there have been so few lately. Very warm clothes and plenty of time to spare are essential, as
    are knobbly tyres[1]. Then go out, have fun, and watch the world grind to a halt around you.

    [1] - every year I put my knobblies on to my commuter around November. Imagine getting to April,
    having fought against the extra resistance for 6 months and a thousand or so commuting miles,
    NEVER TO HAVE NEEDED THEM ONCE!!! Global warming sucks. I'm off to Siberia.

    Jason Wyatt Leeds UK

  18. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jason Wyatt <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:00:04 +0100, "Lee"
    ><[email protected]com> wrote:
    >

    >>3. Snow - how do you guys handle this?
    >>

    >I love snow anyway, but a properly equiped snowy commute is the highlight of the year for me. Too
    >bad there have been so few lately. Very warm clothes and plenty of time to spare are essential, as
    >are knobbly tyres[1]. Then go out, have fun, and watch the world grind to a halt around you.

    Hub brakes are the business in snow, as rim brakes have a tendency to clog up and not work much.....

    Reasonably fresh snow is ok, but the problem with snowy roads is when it gets compacted by cars
    (esp. if it has then frozen over night as well) this can be very slippery.

    >[1] - every year I put my knobblies on to my commuter around November.

    That's rather hopeful isn't given the amount of snow most of the UK gets?

    Of course what you really need are studded tyres :)
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  19. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> Any difference between polar buff and buff original?
    >>

    > Polar buff has a fleece portion which gives more warmth. (100% Polyester microfibre with Polar 100
    > Fleece )

    I use a buff original because its the only thing that will fit under my helmet. I find that a buff
    in and a gortex helmet cover keeps me snug down to k2b freezing temps.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  20. Gawnsoft