Eno SS conversion

Duncan

Guest
Hi,
I'm about to buy an Eno (eccentric) hub to convert an MTB to single speed.
I'm entering the SS Nats and I've always wanted to give a fixie a go for
commuting so it seems a good option.
Hippy, your name came up on a search I did once, are you running an Eno now?
Anyone got any words of encouragement or horror stories to change my mind?
Cheers,
Duncan.

Duncan said:
Hi,
I'm about to buy an Eno (eccentric) hub to convert an MTB to single speed.
I'm entering the SS Nats and I've always wanted to give a fixie a go for
commuting so it seems a good option.
Hippy, your name came up on a search I did once, are you running an Eno now?
Anyone got any words of encouragement or horror stories to change my mind?
Cheers,
Duncan.

Go to www.mtbr.com/techtalks and do a search in their single speed forums. lots of ENO users here, including a guy that does a lot of product testing (probably is part of the company) for the company ... goes by the nick of ErNestO I think.

So far, I've heard lot's of positive things about the ENO hub ... was going to get one myself but bought a dedicated SS bike instead. Was able to get a good look at one in the LBS and it's pretty well made ... certainly feels very solid.

Cheers
Koon

"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I'm about to buy an Eno (eccentric) hub to convert an MTB to single speed.
> I'm entering the SS Nats and I've always wanted to give a fixie a go for
> commuting so it seems a good option.
> Hippy, your name came up on a search I did once, are you running an Eno

now?
> Anyone got any words of encouragement or horror stories to change my mind?
> Cheers,
> Duncan.

Sorry for late reply.. been away..

I have an ENO but I haven't built it up yet. Mine is a
road-spaced one (130mm) and I was going to use it to
ss/fix a vertical dropout road frame.

I currently have "Vegemite" (an old Apollo) which has
horizontal 'dropouts' so I am in no rush to use the ENO.

There are a few stories/reviews on the 'net about it. Try
the singlespeed sites (63xc, mtbr, etc). Also, speak to
Dan at http://www.shifterbikes.com (Malvern Bicycles
Plus) who brings them into Oz.

Sorry for the essentially useless reply :-S

hippy

news:p[email protected]...
> "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> > I'm about to buy an Eno (eccentric) hub to convert an MTB to single

speed.
> > I'm entering the SS Nats and I've always wanted to give a fixie a go for
> > commuting so it seems a good option.

<snip>

> There are a few stories/reviews on the 'net about it. Try
> the singlespeed sites (63xc, mtbr, etc). Also, speak to
> Dan at http://www.shifterbikes.com (Malvern Bicycles
> Plus) who brings them into Oz.

I now have my Eno, haven't used it much as I've been away.
It all seems very nice but it keeps slipping and making the chain loose. It
only rotates a smidge so I've been doing the bolts progessively tighter. I
don't want to snap anything by going too far.
Hopefully the fixed cog will be in by friday. I'm hoping I'll be able to
use the same chain for the 34/16 freewheel as the 36/14 fixed gear.
I have a 36 chainring and my back of the envelope calculations suggest
they'll be very close (ie. the radius difference increase is negligable so
having the teeth counts sum to the same value is close enough).