Entry level bike build needs help!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cyclingaidan, Feb 1, 2006.

1. cyclingaidan

cyclingaidan New Member

I'm doing an entry level bike build which is quite an ambitious[font=&quot] project for me and i'm having trouble with component compatibility. I bought some campag veloce ergo shifters in haste because they were going cheap on ebay but now i'm in the process of buying wheels and all the campag compatible ones are just a little bit out of my price range. I'm a student so on a very tight budget. Does anyone know if i can convert a shimano freehub to take a campag casette? OR should i take the plunge and just buy some campag wheels. Or cut my losses with the veloce ergo shifters, sell them on ebay and go all shimano? Any help with this would be very much appreciated!
    [/font]

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

A shimano freehub will NOT take a Campag cassette, but you can use Campagnolo shifters with Shimano freehub wheels with some modifications.

You have a few options:
    1. Use a converter cassette such as that made by Wheels manufacturing, IRD, or American classic with shimano compatible freehub. This is a shimano cassette spaced for Campy shifters. These work fine but are expensive. $100-150 new, maybe cheaper used.
    2. Use a jtek Shiftmate. This is an adapter that fits on the rear derailleur that changes the cable pull/derailleur swing ratio to allow mixing brands of shifters and derailleurs/cassettes. These cost $35 and are available in 4 versions for a variety of shifter/derailleur/cassette combinations.
    ---2A. Use shimano derailleur/cassette with ergo shifters but modify the cable clamping at the rear derailleur. It is cheap and can work but not as good as the shiftmate. I don't know how well it works with 10s as it was originally used with 9s ergo/shimano combination. This approach was originally developed by hubbub cycles but their website doesn't have the picture anymore. I found it at this link:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
    3. Get a used campy rear wheel for not so much money as new campy wheels on ebay. I got a pair of good condition Mirage/CXP21s for $110 last spring on eBay.
    4. Have a campy rear wheel built on a new veloce or mirage hub. This could be done for as little as $125-140 or so depending on rim/spoke choice. Cheaper if you can find a decent used hub or if you can build your own wheel.
    5. Buck up for Campy wheels. You can find some 2005 Ventos around for a little over $200. These are boat anchor heavy but durable. Personally I would choose option 4 over Ventos.

Going all Shimano is not really much cheaper than going mid-range Campagnolo, so I wouldn't necessarily pursue that option if you really want Campagnolo. If you already have decent condition shimano derailleurs/wheels, I would go with the Shiftmate and use your Ergos. See this link for more info: (Check with you LBS or do a google search for other online suppliers)

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

If you are starting completely from scratch, you might as well stick with Campy if you prefer Ergo to STI.

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I also vote for getting a Campy rear hub and build up a wheel on that. Might be able to find a pair so they'd match but the front can be Shimano or anything else for that matter. Used Campy hubs are more available than used Campy wheelsets, but new hubs aren't that expensive either.

4. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Contact me through Private Message- I might have a pair of Campy wheels for low price :)