Entry level bike for women

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
All

I am looking for an entry level road bike for my girlfriend. I have a budget of around $A500 - $A600. Any suggestions on a cheap but reliable alumnium framed bike at that price?

Have looked so far at Giant and Avanti and can get some deals down to $850 but no lower. There are some cheaper kmart specials but they don't look to be very good quality.

Cheers
Mark

I would have a serious look at 2nd hand bike.

You may find that you get more for your $$ with a 2nd hand bike.

Cheers Ben

If you are happy with a flat bar road bike, one of the SUB (sarah ulmer bikes, Avanti's women's specific range) bikes would be something to look at. I believe it's the Sublime2 which is around the $600 mark. Giant also make a women's version of the CRX4 at around the same price.

mmamster said:
All

I am looking for an entry level road bike for my girlfriend. I have a budget of around $A500 - $A600. Any suggestions on a cheap but reliable alumnium framed bike at that price?

Have looked so far at Giant and Avanti and can get some deals down to $850 but no lower. There are some cheaper kmart specials but they don't look to be very good quality.

Cheers
Mark
For that kind of money, you really must buy second hand - you could do quite well. Anything new will be a real clunker unless you get a good sale price.
If you use e-bay, make sure it's in your home town so that you can check it out before bidding.

you know if you really wnat to show her you care for her

go up in price by a littel more and youll be better off

You could also try a few triathlete websites and clubs for something second hand. Plenty of triathletes buy a new ~$1,000 road bike and upgrade reasonably quickly once they're hooked on the sport...

Oh, you might also want to check the gearing on the bike (number of teeth on the rear sprockets and front chainrings) to make sure it's suitable. That said, most ~1K bikes aren't geared that hard, so you should be fine...

Good luck,

Stanners

Thanks all for ideas. I am looking at a second hand bike through my tri club, also looking at a budget increase - the limit is hers, not mine! There is a really nice OCR1 W women's specific giant which is $1800 BTW.