Entry Level Bike

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
I'm an old guy 41 and I'm want to select the best bike for my money as I am on a small budget. I am know for going all out whenever I decide to do someting...This will be no different. I would appreciate any advice on making a selection from the following. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires brand new in LBS and is on sale for 999.00 I believe I can get it cheaper but, I like the color (yellow) and it is equiped with 105 from crank to fd/rd shifters etc. However for the same price I can get a 2004 trek 1500 with ultegra rd tiagr fd 105 shifters and bontrager race with isis crank. My gut feeling is that I would be better off with the steel/carbon frame of the lemond (which is lighter than trek's alum frame. I'm pushing 230lbs and just think that the steel frame would hold up better. So, yes.. I'm leaning towards the Lemond but I am having a hard time figuring out why a bike like this would stay in a BS for 3 years??? Are there other bikes that may be better for the 800-1000 price range?

Originally posted by zapper
I'm an old guy 41 and I'm want to select the best bike for my money as I am on a small budget. I am know for going all out whenever I decide to do someting...This will be no different. I would appreciate any advice on making a selection from the following. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires brand new in LBS and is on sale for 999.00 I believe I can get it cheaper but, I like the color (yellow) and it is equiped with 105 from crank to fd/rd shifters etc. However for the same price I can get a 2004 trek 1500 with ultegra rd tiagr fd 105 shifters and bontrager race with isis crank. My gut feeling is that I would be better off with the steel/carbon frame of the lemond (which is lighter than trek's alum frame. I'm pushing 230lbs and just think that the steeframe would hold up better. So, yes.. I'm leaning towards the Lemond but I am having a hard time figuring out why a bike like this would stay in a BS for 3 years??? Are there other bikes that may be better for the 800-1000 price range?

Either one would probably be great. Tthe most important thing is to make sure it fits well. As one old-timer to another I'd say it would probably be a good idea to get the handlebars raised higher than most hard-core roadies prefer. You won't go quite as fast, but you're likely to be significantly more comfortable, which means riding more often--and really getting your money's worth.

Read more here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

I'm an old guy 41 and I'm want to select the best bike for my money as I am on a small budget. I am know for going all out whenever I decide to do someting...This will be no different. I would appreciate any advice on making a selection from the following. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires brand new in LBS and is on sale for 999.00 I believe I can get it cheaper but, I like the color (yellow) and it is equiped with 105 from crank to fd/rd shifters etc. However for the same price I can get a 2004 trek 1500 with ultegra rd tiagr fd 105 shifters and bontrager race with isis crank. My gut feeling is that I would be better off with the steel/carbon frame of the lemond (which is lighter than trek's alum frame. I'm pushing 230lbs and just think that the steel frame would hold up better. So, yes.. I'm leaning towards the Lemond but I am having a hard time figuring out why a bike like this would stay in a BS for 3 years??? Are there other bikes that may be better for the 800-1000 price range?

My LBS also has an 01 Lemond BA still on their floor, along with a 2001 Zurich, surprisingly. Not every bike sells and sometimes they do take these bikes at incentives on overstock and closeouts so it is hard to say why it is still there. I do think you would be better served by the Lemond, you could always upgrade the gruppo later if you needed to and the extra comfot of the composite frame would be much more comfortable on a longer ride.

Originally posted by zerokoo0l
you could always upgrade the gruppo later if you needed to and the extra comfot of the composite frame would be much more comfortable on a longer ride.
What?? The 2001 BA frame is steel.

I recommend you consider the LeMond Poprad. I think it would be a great beginner bike, especially for a "clydesdale" rider. As a beginner, you'll want something you're reasonably comfortable riding. The Poprad allows you to run fat tires, which add to comfort. The Poprad is also fairly heavy duty, so it should hold up well for a heavier rider. Also, as a beginner, there's no telling what direction you might take as a new cyclist. The Poprad is kind of a do-all bike -- you can ride it on the road, dirt roads, some trails, it'll accomodate racks for touring, and fenders for the rain. Also, the retail '04 price is just about in your range. If you can find a '03 close-out Poprad in your size, it'll be well within your range.

MartyLane

Originally posted by boudreaux
I didnt realize that it wasnt always carbon and steel as it is now. Not sure if the original poster did either but it would than be an important issue I think in the choice.

Originally posted by zerokoo0l
I didnt realize that it wasnt always carbon and steel as it is now. Not sure if the original poster did either but it would than be an important issue I think in the choice.

Yes this is news to me.. But after a second look at the specs, it is all Steel. I assumed as you did. So my question(s) would be, since it did seem very light for (steel) is this a good thing or should I go with alum...Second, would this be a bargaining chip when I go back in to purchase? Is 800.00 a fair price to offer for this bike?

thanks to all, who have answered thus far...

You are absolutely right! I goofed that one... So, does that make it a good buy or is that why it's still sitting in the lbs...

Originally posted by martylane
I recommend you consider the LeMond Poprad. I think it would be a great beginner bike, especially for a "clydesdale" rider. As a beginner, you'll want something you're reasonably comfortable riding. The Poprad allows you to run fat tires, which add to comfort. The Poprad is also fairly heavy duty, so it should hold up well for a heavier rider. Also, as a beginner, there's no telling what direction you might take as a new cyclist. The Poprad is kind of a do-all bike -- you can ride it on the road, dirt roads, some trails, it'll accomodate racks for touring, and fenders for the rain. Also, the retail '04 price is just about in your range. If you can find a '03 close-out Poprad in your size, it'll be well within your range.

MartyLane

Solid advice but.... I live in a rural area with lots of open winding roads that are calling my name. Although a "clydesdale", I'm in the military and workout 5 days a week and have no back problems. So I'm sure I'm showing my inexperience here but I'm not really looking for a comfy cozie ride... I ride a MTB occasionally, but I really want to ride these vacant roads loaded with great scenery. I may be puttin the cart before the "horse" :) but I have a really want to be a road racer and in the process lose a few extra pounds.. Lets' face it I also want a bike that looks good too... However, I will be looking at the Poprad if I can find one at one of the lbs around here. Thanks for the advice...

It's still a very good buy at that price.

Lots of riders love the Reynolds 853 steel frame; the new carbon/steel combo frame isn't much lighter.

If the bike fits, I think you'll like the ride of the steel frame. If you like the looks of the Buenos Aires, that's important motivation, too.

Originally posted by Allen H
It's still a very good buy at that price.

Lots of riders love the Reynolds 853 steel frame; the new carbon/steel combo frame isn't much lighter.

If the bike fits, I think you'll like the ride of the steel frame. If you like the looks of the Buenos Aires, that's important motivation, too.

I do like the looks of the bike. Additionally, it is the only offering in yellow in my price range out of the 9 bike shops in my area. (I want a yellow bike, but would settle for blue or black). I haven't ridden this bike yet. When I was at the shop, the tires were flat and I didn't have time to have them inflated and have pedals installed. So, you think that its a good price? I've ridden the trek 1500 and it is nice as well. You think I would be better off with the Lemond BA Older 2001 model than a brand new trek 1500? I know it seems like I can't make my own decision but I'm having trouble deciding between a bike with a steel frame and full 105 groupo but is 3 yrs old and a brand new trek1500 alum frame with tiagra/utegra/105 mixture with bontrager crank or even the Lemond reno with mix of 105/ tiagra with tiagra crank. So on their own merrit which is the better bike?

I do like the looks of the bike. Additionally, it is the only offering in yellow in my price range out of the 9 bike shops in my area. (I want a yellow bike, but would settle for blue or black). I haven't ridden this bike yet. When I was at the shop, the tires were flat and I didn't have time to have them inflated and have pedals installed. So, you think that its a good price? I've ridden the trek 1500 and it is nice as well. You think I would be better off with the Lemond BA Older 2001 model than a brand new trek 1500? I know it seems like I can't make my own decision but I'm having trouble deciding between a bike with a steel frame and full 105 groupo but is 3 yrs old and a brand new trek1500 alum frame with tiagra/utegra/105 mixture with bontrager crank or even the Lemond reno with mix of 105/ tiagra with tiagra crank. So on their own merrit which is the better bike?
Assuming it fits, the BA, but it's your money ,not mine. And, I don't even like yellow.

Assuming it fits, the BA, but it's your money ,not mine. And, I don't even like yellow.

I'm going to test drive the BA this week and I hope it fits. Recommending this bike and you don't even like yellow... that says something for the bike.:) Appreciate the advice. The only consistant negative reviews I've read about the BA is that the saddle is extremely uncomfortable and a few posts about paint wearing off of the wheels???

I'm going to test drive the BA this week and I hope it fits. Recommending this bike and you don't even like yellow... that says something for the bike.:) Appreciate the advice. The only consistant negative reviews I've read about the BA is that the saddle is extremely uncomfortable and a few posts about paint wearing off of the wheels???
The shop could switch the saddle, and everyone has their preference anyway. Painted wheels??

The shop could switch the saddle, and everyone has their preference anyway. Painted wheels??

Ok... a few of the reviews ran together.. there were a few that mentioned "fragile paint" on the frame and decals that came off of the Rolf Vector wheels. Now that I think about it... That seems too minor to even be a concern. I guess I'm just acting like a "tight wad" here sweating the little stuff prior to making my first real road bike purchase. I agree, I had planned to find a saddle that was right for me anyway....I'm just being a little cautious because this bike is at the "high end" of my price range but it seems to be the rule of thumb to buy the bike that gives you the most for the money first as it is much more expensive to upgrade later. You seem to possess a vast knowledge of Lemond bikes. What makes the Lemond a better bike than than the others mentioned? Is it the frame technology, the smooth welds or the groupo or what?? Just trying to learn as much as I can:)

Ok... a few of the reviews ran together.. there were a few that mentioned "fragile paint" on the frame and decals that came off of the Rolf Vector wheels. Now that I think about it... That seems too minor to even be a concern. I guess I'm just acting like a "tight wad" here sweating the little stuff prior to making my first real road bike purchase. I agree, I had planned to find a saddle that was right for me anyway....I'm just being a little cautious because this bike is at the "high end" of my price range but it seems to be the rule of thumb to buy the bike that gives you the most for the money first as it is much more expensive to upgrade later. You seem to possess a vast knowledge of Lemond bikes. What makes the Lemond a better bike than than the others mentioned? Is it the frame technology, the smooth welds or the groupo or what?? Just trying to learn as much as I can:)

ya i forgot rolf was lemonds wheelset supplier in 01, but im sure its nothing to worry about

anyways, have you test ridden the bikes? im kinda surprised you got by this long without someone on this board shouting at you to do that. i assume you havent cause youre still considering the trek 1500. im my opinion lemonds 853 steel frames make for a very sweet ride, altho they lack a little in snap and could be lighter of course.

lemonds old product line was pretty nice since they gave you a great frame even with lesser components, but thats not to say 105 wont perform because its a solid gruppo. id suggest that you try to get the BA for as cheap as possible, maybe throw a fit about how its not the newest bike around or whatever works.

good luck and have fun riding.

ps buy a helmet of course ;-)

Originally posted by fushman
ya i forgot rolf was lemonds wheelset supplier in 01, but im sure its nothing to worry about

anyways, have you test ridden the bikes? im kinda surprised you got by this long without someone on this board shouting at you to do that. i assume you havent cause youre still considering the trek 1500. im my opinion lemonds 853 steel frames make for a very sweet ride, altho they lack a little in snap and could be lighter of course.

lemonds old product line was pretty nice since they gave you a great frame even with lesser components, but thats not to say 105 wont perform because its a solid gruppo. id suggest that you try to get the BA for as cheap as possible, maybe throw a fit about how its not the newest bike around or whatever works.

good luck and have fun riding.

ps buy a helmet of course ;-)

I've tested the 1500 but not the BA. I will try the "throwing the fit" Idea. My plan was to go back to test it after they inflate the tires, and go with this angle. "This bike is nice but it's the oldest bike you have in here. the way I see it you have a choice. You can let me have it for 750 and I'll buy a new saddle, helmet, shoes and pedals from YOU at your normal price and you will have a loyal customer or you can insist on getting 999.00 for a bike that's 3 yrs old with flat tires and a small black mark on the frame and keep it in your inventory while I go elsewhere and buy a brand new bike of perhaps lesser quality but from someone who is willing to work with me" I have tossed around several versions of that scenario. However, it is hard to say after I get on the bike and just love it and if I can really tell the difference between the BA and the Trek. But just asking here.. Is 750.00 considered a really cheap price for this bike? I know I've seen one used one for $850.00 but that was on some bike trader website... Thanks for the input!

id say its at least a very good deal, especially if you can talk them down to 750. personally id rather have the older all steel frames than the their new spline design, not to knock the new stuff tho. but the frame of BA is well liked by many, ive never ridden it myself altho ive ridden the zurich steel frame which is all 853 including the rear triangle, but i dont know if youd really be able to tell much or any difference. but anyways a full 105 bike and 853 is a nice indeed. and i cant really remember the original msrp on that bike but i know when that year the base model with that frame fitted with sora was prolly around 1000.

Originally posted by fushman
id say its at least a very good deal, especially if you can talk them down to 750. personally id rather have the older all steel frames than the their new spline design, not to knock the new stuff tho. but the frame of BA is well liked by many, ive never ridden it myself altho ive ridden the zurich steel frame which is all 853 including the rear triangle, but i dont know if youd really be able to tell much or any difference. but anyways a full 105 bike and 853 is a nice indeed. and i cant really remember the original msrp on that bike but i know when that year the base model with that frame fitted with sora was prolly around 1000.
Ok...Yep, I'm hoping I can talk them down. The most I'm willing to pay is 900.00. I've seen msrp ranging from 13-14 hundred and some change associated with this year group bike. I'm excited and hopeful so, we'll see what will happen. At the very least, I"ve learned a little about this bike.