Entry-level cross bikes

Matt Bryant

Guest
Looking at purchasing a cross bike this spring. I like what I've seen on the Le Mond Poprad and the
Surly Cross Check. It appears steel is the material of choice for what will have to be a pretty
versatile bike: I'd like this one to serve as an alternative to my hardtail on some of the smoother
offroad stuff I ride, as well as something to give me a bit more speed and efficiency on the
occasional informal road ride.

I'm seeing lots of stuff offered at or close to $1000, so I figure that's a reasonable price to
expect to pay.

Anyone have any observations on the Surly or the Le Mond? Are there any other models/manufacturers I
should check out?

---

Release Date: 01/21/03

"Matt Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any observations on the Surly or the Le Mond? Are there any other models/manufacturers
> I should check out?

Have you considered a Redline?:

www.redlinebicycles.com

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

I actually saw a few guys/gals on Redlines at the Nationals in Napa. They look to be as well
equipped as other bikes in the same price range. I'm yet to find an LBS that actually has one in
stock, though.

Only problem is that the Conquest and Conquest Pro are aluminium. Any thoughts on the contention
that steel is simply better suited for this particular application?

> "Matt Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone have any observations on the Surly or the Le Mond? Are there any other
> > models/manufacturers I should check out?
>
> Have you considered a Redline?:
>
> www.redlinebicycles.com
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

---

Release Date: 01/21/03

"Matt Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I actually saw a few guys/gals on Redlines at the Nationals in Napa. They look to be as well
> equipped as other bikes in the same price range. I'm
yet
> to find an LBS that actually has one in stock, though.

They sure are nice bikes, I am not sure that LBS's usually stock them, I think they might be ordered
when necessary.

> Only problem is that the Conquest and Conquest Pro are aluminium. Any thoughts on the contention
> that steel is simply better suited for this particular application?

All based on personal preference of the rider. If you like a bike that has a little "give" and is
less harsh on the body, then steel is the answer. If you like a bike that's more stiff and
responsive, then alu is the answer.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Matt Bryant wrote:

> Looking at purchasing a cross bike this spring. I like what I've seen on the Le Mond Poprad and
> the Surly Cross Check. It appears steel is the material of choice for what will have to be a
> pretty versatile bike: I'd like this one to serve as an alternative to my hardtail on some of the
> smoother offroad stuff I ride, as well as something to give me a bit more speed and efficiency on
> the occasional informal road ride.
>
> I'm seeing lots of stuff offered at or close to $1000, so I figure that's a reasonable price to
> expect to pay.
>
> Anyone have any observations on the Surly or the Le Mond? Are there any other models/manufacturers
> I should check out?

Trek also makes the XO-1 cross bike. It's aluminum, and speced with Sora shifters instead of
barcons, but might be worth checking out as another option.

Be careful buying a 'cross bike, you might find yourself riding it a lot more than you thought you
would. They're a lot of fun.