Entry level FS XC bike recommendation?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tdwfl, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00

    tim

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    TDWFL wrote:
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

    hardtail.

  3. "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

    like Penny said - hardtail - or used.

    There are plenty of 1-2 year old used, decent FS bikes available at that price, but not much in
    new bikes.

  4. Dick

    Dick Guest

    I'll third the hardtail remark. You can pick up some fantastic new hardtails these days for
    under a grand.

    I wouldn't recommend a used bike, especially fs, to a newbie, it'd be too easy to get burned. One or
    two tuneups, repairs, or parts will immediately start eating into any initial savings.

    Craig Thrasher wrote:
    > "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >>
    >>tim
    >

    > like Penny said - hardtail - or used.
    >
    > There are plenty of 1-2 year old used, decent FS bikes available at that price, but not much in
    > new bikes.

  5. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (TDWFL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

    There is an array of good steel hardtails out there for under 1K.

    JD

  7. vze4z5sh

    vze4z5sh Guest

  8. Adn

    Adn Guest

    I thought that the query was for full suspension.

    I have both and have spent much more. BUT I would say that the Giant NRS2 with XT/LX is about the
    least expensive that I would recommend at ~$1500. The NRS3 is about $1100 with lesser components.

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > <[email protected]> top posted in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4
    >
    > Where did you come from, mtbr?
    >
    > JD hahahaha gf booger

    The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000. Regardless of what JD will tell you,
    TDWFL, you will not crack a Sugar at the BB shell, headtube, or anywhere else (unless you try to
    Red Bull it).

    You will, however, want to think about getting rid of the AD-5 shock and the parts that say
    "Bontrager" on them...but not until you are ready to move out of the "entry-level" mindset.

    Chris

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ADN wrote:
    > I thought that the query was for full suspension.

    so it was. But consider that a HT in your price range will be a much better bike, componet and frame
    wise than will a new FS for the same price.

    Penny

  12. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

    Just as some others have said, FS for entry level probably isn't the wisest route. There are loads
    of really nice hard tails out there that can be had for under 1K, I lean towards Specialized or
    Giant. However, if you (he) is dead set on FS, for just over $1,000 the KHS FXT Pro has great
    components for the money (Hayes, Truvative, Kore, XT) the only change I would recommend would be to
    swap out the RS front susp.

    Lance

  13. Adn

    Adn Guest

    I agree. It's was tough for me to find a better ride than my HT Cannondale. I also had some pretty
    good technique. I still have the Canny but like the FSX suspension for some things. BUT I have put
    more maintenance in the FS than anything that I have ever owned.

    A friend who owns a few bike shops says that he love the new FS bike at the entry level. They keep
    bringing in the customers for tune-ups, replacement components and upgrades.

    ADN

    > ADN wrote:
    > > I thought that the query was for full suspension.
    >
    > so it was. But consider that a HT in your price range will be a much
    better
    > bike, componet and frame wise than will a new FS for the same price.
    >
    > Penny

  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    [email protected] (TDWFL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >
    > tim

    I just went through the bike buying process, first new mountain bike in 12 years. $1000 was about as
    much as I wanted to spend too. I ended up getting a Giant XTC2. Very nice and light hardtail bike
    with XT componants. I splurged a little more to 1200 and upgraded to the Avid disc brake setup.

    There were quite a few brands I looked at, Specialized, Trek, Diamond Back, etc with all good bikes
    in the $1000 price range. All hardtails though. The FS bikes were almost twice as much when you go
    with a comparable weight bike.

  15. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    > "Penny S." [email protected] wrote: >TDWFL wrote:
    >> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >>
    >> tim
    >
    >hardtail.

    On riding a hardtail on a 120 mile two day ride is there a way to cushion the shock to ones ass from
    the rear of the bike?

    tim

  16. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    >"..::TBF::.." [email protected] wrote: >Jamis Dakar

    Thanks. I found one at a local shop to look at tomorrow. Very reasonably priced too.

    tim

  17. TDWFL wrote:
    >>"Penny S." [email protected] wrote: >TDWFL wrote:
    >>
    >>>For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
    >>>
    >>>tim
    >>
    >>hardtail.
    >

    > On riding a hardtail on a 120 mile two day ride is there a way to cushion the shock to ones ass
    > from the rear of the bike?
    >
    > tim

    Bigger tires, although it'll make you go slower. You could get suspension seatpost. Otherwise, get
    some really good bike shorts ;)

    Jon Bond

  18. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > > <[email protected]> top posted in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4
    > >
    > > Where did you come from, mtbr?
    > >
    > > JD hahahaha gf booger
    >
    > The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000.

    Your naivete is showing. The booger is a piece of crap, no matter what number it is. Anyone who buys
    a cheapie cookie cutter FS deserves what they get, even if they do use misinformation from e-tards
    or the ragazines.

    JD

  19. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    > > > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4

    JD Replied:

    > > Where did you come from, mtbr?
    > >
    > > JD hahahaha gf booger

    Chris Retorted:

    > The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000. Regardless of what JD will tell you,
    > TDWFL, you will not crack a Sugar at the BB shell, headtube, or anywhere else (unless you try to
    > Red Bull it).
    >
    > You will, however, want to think about getting rid of the AD-5 shock and the parts that say
    > "Bontrager" on them...but not until you are ready to move out of the "entry-level" mindset.
    >
    > Chris

    After defending GF quite a bit even after I cracked my 2001 Sugar 3+, my 2002 Sugar 3+ (Which was a
    warrantee replacement) cracked as well. I was lucky and they replaced the rear triangle with the
    rear triangle from a Sugar 1 (Carbon Fibre), however I am getting semi slicks for the bike and will
    be using it as my commuter bike and have purchased an Enduro for my trail bike. Maybe lightweights
    will have better luck but after breaking TWO I won't recommend them to anyone.
    http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/Sugar3 <-- Broken Sugar 3 Pictures here...

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com