Entry level FS XC bike recommendation?

Tdwfl

Guest
For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00

tim

TDWFL wrote:
> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>
> tim

hardtail.

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>
> tim

like Penny said - hardtail - or used.

There are plenty of 1-2 year old used, decent FS bikes available at that price, but not much in
new bikes.

I'll third the hardtail remark. You can pick up some fantastic new hardtails these days for
under a grand.

I wouldn't recommend a used bike, especially fs, to a newbie, it'd be too easy to get burned. One or
two tuneups, repairs, or parts will immediately start eating into any initial savings.

Craig Thrasher wrote:
> "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>>
>>tim
>

> like Penny said - hardtail - or used.
>
> There are plenty of 1-2 year old used, decent FS bikes available at that price, but not much in
> new bikes.

I thought that the query was for full suspension.

I have both and have spent much more. BUT I would say that the Giant NRS2 with XT/LX is about the
least expensive that I would recommend at ~$1500. The NRS3 is about $1100 with lesser components.

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>
> tim

> <[email protected]> top posted in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4
>
> Where did you come from, mtbr?
>
> JD hahahaha gf booger

The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000. Regardless of what JD will tell you,
TDWFL, you will not crack a Sugar at the BB shell, headtube, or anywhere else (unless you try to
Red Bull it).

You will, however, want to think about getting rid of the AD-5 shock and the parts that say
"Bontrager" on them...but not until you are ready to move out of the "entry-level" mindset.

Chris

ADN wrote:
> I thought that the query was for full suspension.

so it was. But consider that a HT in your price range will be a much better bike, componet and frame
wise than will a new FS for the same price.

Penny

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>
> tim

Just as some others have said, FS for entry level probably isn't the wisest route. There are loads
of really nice hard tails out there that can be had for under 1K, I lean towards Specialized or
Giant. However, if you (he) is dead set on FS, for just over $1,000 the KHS FXT Pro has great
components for the money (Hayes, Truvative, Kore, XT) the only change I would recommend would be to
swap out the RS front susp.

Lance

I agree. It's was tough for me to find a better ride than my HT Cannondale. I also had some pretty
good technique. I still have the Canny but like the FSX suspension for some things. BUT I have put
more maintenance in the FS than anything that I have ever owned.

A friend who owns a few bike shops says that he love the new FS bike at the entry level. They keep
bringing in the customers for tune-ups, replacement components and upgrades.

ADN

[email protected] (TDWFL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>
> tim

I just went through the bike buying process, first new mountain bike in 12 years. $1000 was about as
much as I wanted to spend too. I ended up getting a Giant XTC2. Very nice and light hardtail bike
with XT componants. I splurged a little more to 1200 and upgraded to the Avid disc brake setup.

There were quite a few brands I looked at, Specialized, Trek, Diamond Back, etc with all good bikes
in the $1000 price range. All hardtails though. The FS bikes were almost twice as much when you go
with a comparable weight bike.

> "Penny S." [email protected] wrote: >TDWFL wrote:
>> For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>>
>> tim
>
>hardtail.

On riding a hardtail on a 120 mile two day ride is there a way to cushion the shock to ones ass from
the rear of the bike?

tim

TDWFL wrote:
>>"Penny S." [email protected] wrote: >TDWFL wrote:
>>
>>>For a friend who wants to buy something new under $1000.00
>>>
>>>tim
>>
>>hardtail.
>

> On riding a hardtail on a 120 mile two day ride is there a way to cushion the shock to ones ass
> from the rear of the bike?
>
> tim

Bigger tires, although it'll make you go slower. You could get suspension seatpost. Otherwise, get
some really good bike shorts ;)

Jon Bond

news:<[email protected]>...
> > <[email protected]> top posted in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4
> >
> > Where did you come from, mtbr?
> >
> > JD hahahaha gf booger
>
> The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000.

Your naivete is showing. The booger is a piece of ****, no matter what number it is. Anyone who buys
a cheapie cookie cutter FS deserves what they get, even if they do use misinformation from e-tards
or the ragazines.

JD

> > > Gary fisher sugar 3 or 4

JD Replied:

> > Where did you come from, mtbr?
> >
> > JD hahahaha gf booger

Chris Retorted:

> The Sugar (3 or 4) is a totally sweet bike for around $1000. Regardless of what JD will tell you,
> TDWFL, you will not crack a Sugar at the BB shell, headtube, or anywhere else (unless you try to
> Red Bull it).
>
> You will, however, want to think about getting rid of the AD-5 shock and the parts that say
> "Bontrager" on them...but not until you are ready to move out of the "entry-level" mindset.
>
> Chris

After defending GF quite a bit even after I cracked my 2001 Sugar 3+, my 2002 Sugar 3+ (Which was a
warrantee replacement) cracked as well. I was lucky and they replaced the rear triangle with the
rear triangle from a Sugar 1 (Carbon Fibre), however I am getting semi slicks for the bike and will
be using it as my commuter bike and have purchased an Enduro for my trail bike. Maybe lightweights
will have better luck but after breaking TWO I won't recommend them to anyone.
http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/Sugar3 <-- Broken Sugar 3 Pictures here...

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com