Entry level recumbent purchase very soon

Ken M

Guest
I posted a message here "Short wheel base for beginner" a little over a
week ago, and I got some good advise. However from some recent net
research most seem to recommend a different type of bike. So now I am
more leaning towards a lwb or a clwb model. There are three that I have
found so far that seem to be in my "entry level" price range. The SUN
EZ-1SC and the CYCLE GENIUS STARLING and the CYCLE GENIUS SPARROW. I am
really leaning towards the EZ-1. My reasoning on this one is the
reputation of SUN. And the fact that most (all?) the EZ models were
designed by the folks at EASY RACERS. Does any one own a EZ-1SC? If so
how do you like it? I am test riding one on Tuesday. How about the two
CYCLE GENIUS bikes? The dealer I am going to test ride the SUN is also a
CYCLE GENIUS dealer.

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

"Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I posted a message here "Short wheel base for beginner" a little over a
>week ago, and I got some good advise. However from some recent net research
>most seem to recommend a different type of bike. So now I am more leaning
>towards a lwb or a clwb model. There are three that I have found so far
>that seem to be in my "entry level" price range. The SUN EZ-1SC and the
>CYCLE GENIUS STARLING and the CYCLE GENIUS SPARROW. I am really leaning
>towards the EZ-1. My reasoning on this one is the reputation of SUN. And
>the fact that most (all?) the EZ models were designed by the folks at EASY
>RACERS. Does any one own a EZ-1SC? If so how do you like it? I am test
>riding one on Tuesday. How about the two CYCLE GENIUS bikes? The dealer I
>am going to test ride the SUN is also a CYCLE GENIUS dealer.

The SUN EZ-1 is a great recumbent. The only criticisms I have ever heard
about it are that it is a little on the heavy side and it sits you fairly
upright because of the low crank. This could possibly effect comfort. But
the seat seems to be quite good. Also, some do not like the 16" front wheel,
preferring a 20" front wheel. I rode it briefly once and it handled like a
dream. Why spend more when you can get a very good recumbent for less? I
even like the looks of it.

By the way, I am very much in favor of a company like SUN. They make
recumbents that are not going to cost you an arm and a leg. Unless you are
into racing you do not need a light super fast recumbent. Let's face it,
most of us just ride our bikes around town for some fun and some exercise.
You need a $2000. recumbent to do this?

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I do own an EZ-1 SC. Yes you do sit upright. I'm 5'8" and it sits
about like riding in a truck with a bench seat. Only the slightest of
recline. This is my first recumbent and the only issues I've come up
against so far are that you have to hunt a bit to find a cycle
computer that will work with the bike. I ended up mounting mine using
the front wheel for speed and making a stand-off to mount the cadence
sensor. The other issue I have found is the rear derailer height.
This is definitely a road bike and you don't want to approach a bump
at a narrow angle on the right side. The rear derailer will hit. So
also be careful of soft ground. The rear wheel is a 20 inch wheel and
the derailer hangs down close to 8 inches. The ride on chip sealed
(tar and gravel) roads can be a bit rough (to me) but I put that down
to the fact I'm sitting with no suspension.

I will agree though that the EZ series of recumbents are good starter
bikes that won't break your wallet. (I know I'm quoting that from
someplace) I like the bike,

Edward Dolan wrote:

> The SUN EZ-1 is a great recumbent. The only criticisms I have ever heard
> about it are that it is a little on the heavy side and it sits you fairly
> upright because of the low crank. This could possibly effect comfort. But
> the seat seems to be quite good. Also, some do not like the 16" front wheel,
> preferring a 20" front wheel. I rode it briefly once and it handled like a
> dream. Why spend more when you can get a very good recumbent for less? I
> even like the looks of it.

It looks better than the CYCLE GENIUS models I was looking at, although
I haven't seen either of them up close yet. I had the pleasure of riding
one of SUNs other (more $$$) models and it was like limo ride. Well the
way I figure it, you start out at an entry level type bike, and then if
you continue to enjoy it you step up at the next bike purchase.

> By the way, I am very much in favor of a company like SUN. They make
> recumbents that are not going to cost you an arm and a leg. Unless you are
> into racing you do not need a light super fast recumbent. Let's face it,
> most of us just ride our bikes around town for some fun and some exercise.
> You need a $2000. recumbent to do this?

The model I test rode at the bike shop where I bought my latest diamond
frame bike, I think it was a EZ-SPORT price tag was marked $1599.00 I
thought that was a bit pricey for a first bike. My current price range
is $500-$750 which, to me seems more reasonable for a first 'bent'.

Ken

--

Stonegrift wrote:
> I do own an EZ-1 SC. Yes you do sit upright. I'm 5'8" and it sits
> about like riding in a truck with a bench seat. Only the slightest of
> recline. This is my first recumbent and the only issues I've come up
> against so far are that you have to hunt a bit to find a cycle
> computer that will work with the bike. I ended up mounting mine using
> the front wheel for speed and making a stand-off to mount the cadence
> sensor. The other issue I have found is the rear derailer height.
> This is definitely a road bike and you don't want to approach a bump
> at a narrow angle on the right side. The rear derailer will hit. So
> also be careful of soft ground. The rear wheel is a 20 inch wheel and
> the derailer hangs down close to 8 inches. The ride on chip sealed
> (tar and gravel) roads can be a bit rough (to me) but I put that down
> to the fact I'm sitting with no suspension.

Well I have a diamond frame that I will continue to use for short hops
around town and on my commute (3 miles one way). I want to use a
recumbent for longer rides. I have back issues that give me discomfort
on longer rides on upright road bikes. My diamond frame is a hybrid /
comfort type bike and the upright position is comfortable, but the
aerodynamic drag is high, so from what I have been reading a recumbent
may be a better bike for me for longer rides.

> I will agree though that the EZ series of recumbents are good starter
> bikes that won't break your wallet. (I know I'm quoting that from
> someplace) I like the bike,

I think that is a quote from the SUN website. Thanks I appreciate the
feedback.

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

"Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
>> By the way, I am very much in favor of a company like SUN. They make
>> recumbents that are not going to cost you an arm and a leg. Unless you
>> are into racing you do not need a light super fast recumbent. Let's face
>> it, most of us just ride our bikes around town for some fun and some
>> exercise. You need a $2000. recumbent to do this?
>>

> The model I test rode at the bike shop where I bought my latest diamond
> frame bike, I think it was a EZ-SPORT price tag was marked $1599.00 I
> thought that was a bit pricey for a first bike. My current price range is
> $500-$750 which, to me seems more reasonable for a first 'bent'.

Ken, I can't believe the way prices of bikes have gone sky high in the past
30 years or so. I got my first upright for a little over $100. (a very nice
French one). Now you have to pay at least several hundred in order to get a
fairly good upright bike.

But recumbents exist in another universe than uprights. They are all just so
damn expensive. $500. - $750. is an excellent price point for recumbents.
Many on this group are into super expensive recumbents. Even I worked my way
up to a couple of $2000. recumbents, but I have a very bad conscience about
it.

I have little respect for manufacturers who only know how to bring our very
expensive recumbents. I will save my respect and admiration for those
manufacturers who have the smarts to figure out how to bring out a recumbent
for a few hundred instead of a few thousand. I am of the opinion that any
dumbbell can bring out a recumbent if price is no object. The trick is to be
able to do it cheaply. That is why I rather like SUN. They have more smarts.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Ken, I can't believe the way prices of bikes have gone sky high in the past
> 30 years or so. I got my first upright for a little over $100. (a very nice
> French one). Now you have to pay at least several hundred in order to get a
> fairly good upright bike.

Yes, and for the several hundred dollars you only get an entry level
bike these days.

> But recumbents exist in another universe than uprights. They are all just so
> damn expensive. $500. - $750. is an excellent price point for recumbents.
> Many on this group are into super expensive recumbents. Even I worked my way
> up to a couple of $2000. recumbents, but I have a very bad conscience about
> it.

I suppose recumbents are in their own universe because they are not
produced in numbers that diamond frames are. Super expensive bikes are
nice, but may or may not be suitable for a beginner. I have been
searching websites left and right looking for entry level type bikes,
and have found several in my price range. RANS makes a couple I could
stretch the price range to, SUN looks good, ACTIONBENT makes a couple of
models but they have no local dealers. CYCLE GENIUS makes a couple in
the my beginners bracket.

> I have little respect for manufacturers who only know how to bring our very
> expensive recumbents. I will save my respect and admiration for those
> manufacturers who have the smarts to figure out how to bring out a recumbent
> for a few hundred instead of a few thousand. I am of the opinion that any
> dumbbell can bring out a recumbent if price is no object. The trick is to be
> able to do it cheaply. That is why I rather like SUN. They have more smarts.

I agree with you on that point. If more companies would make and market
lower price range bikes more people would buy them and expand the
overall market of recumbents.

Ken
--

Ken M wrote:
> I posted a message here "Short wheel base for beginner" a little over a
> week ago, and I got some good advise. However from some recent net
> research most seem to recommend a different type of bike. So now I am
> more leaning towards a lwb or a clwb model. There are three that I have
> found so far that seem to be in my "entry level" price range. The SUN
> EZ-1SC and the CYCLE GENIUS STARLING and the CYCLE GENIUS SPARROW. I am
> really leaning towards the EZ-1. My reasoning on this one is the
> reputation of SUN. And the fact that most (all?) the EZ models were
> designed by the folks at EASY RACERS. Does any one own a EZ-1SC? If so
> how do you like it? I am test riding one on Tuesday. How about the two
> CYCLE GENIUS bikes? The dealer I am going to test ride the SUN is also a
> CYCLE GENIUS dealer.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes mentioned, as long as one accepts
that their lower price comes at the expense of weight and component
quality. In addition, unlike a bike such as the RANS Rocket which will
be faster than an upright road bike in flat to rolling and windy
conditions, the bicycles mentioned above will be slower than a normal
drop-bar upright in most conditions.

If the limitations of the entry level CLWB's bikes do not interfere
with the intended use of the potential owner, they are excellent values
for the money. If riding fast and/or long distances is expected, there
are much better choices (that cost considerably more).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:45:58 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:
<snip>

>I have little respect for manufacturers who only know how to bring our very
>expensive recumbents. I will save my respect and admiration for those
>manufacturers who have the smarts to figure out how to bring out a recumbent
>for a few hundred instead of a few thousand. I am of the opinion that any
>dumbbell can bring out a recumbent if price is no object. The trick is to be
>able to do it cheaply. That is why I rather like SUN. They have more smarts.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan - Minnesota

It doesn't hurt that Gardner Martin had worked out the basic geometry
with the Easy Racer line for many years before creating the Sun line.
Sun bikes are an import ine, aren't they? I imagine the price would be
considerably higher if the bikes were built in the US.

I liked the ride of the Sun Sport model, but didn't feel that I was
getting much of a noticable improvement over my old Shcwinn Varsity
(in terms of travel for effort expended in only one test ride, comfort
was certainly better on the Sun). The Tour Easy, though at least twice
as costly as the Sun, did feel like less effort than the Shcwinn and I
have no regrets about parting with the cash to get the bike I chose.

Indiana Mike

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:24:16 -0500, Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:

>Stonegrift wrote:
>> I do own an EZ-1 SC. Yes you do sit upright. I'm 5'8" and it sits
>> about like riding in a truck with a bench seat. Only the slightest of
>> recline. This is my first recumbent and the only issues I've come up
>> against so far are that you have to hunt a bit to find a cycle
>> computer that will work with the bike. I ended up mounting mine using
>> the front wheel for speed and making a stand-off to mount the cadence
>> sensor. The other issue I have found is the rear derailer height.
>> This is definitely a road bike and you don't want to approach a bump
>> at a narrow angle on the right side. The rear derailer will hit. So
>> also be careful of soft ground. The rear wheel is a 20 inch wheel and
>> the derailer hangs down close to 8 inches. The ride on chip sealed
>> (tar and gravel) roads can be a bit rough (to me) but I put that down
>> to the fact I'm sitting with no suspension.
>>

>Well I have a diamond frame that I will continue to use for short hops
>around town and on my commute (3 miles one way). I want to use a
>recumbent for longer rides. I have back issues that give me discomfort
>on longer rides on upright road bikes. My diamond frame is a hybrid /
>comfort type bike and the upright position is comfortable, but the
>aerodynamic drag is high, so from what I have been reading a recumbent
>may be a better bike for me for longer rides.
>
>> I will agree though that the EZ series of recumbents are good starter
>> bikes that won't break your wallet. (I know I'm quoting that from
>> someplace) I like the bike,
>>

>I think that is a quote from the SUN website. Thanks I appreciate the
>feedback.
>
>Ken

My old Schwinn beat me up pretty good after 30 miles or so. My tour
Easy is comfortable on rides of 50-70 miles.

Indiana Mike

Mike Rice wrote:

> It doesn't hurt that Gardner Martin had worked out the basic geometry
> with the Easy Racer line for many years before creating the Sun line.
> Sun bikes are an import ine, aren't they? I imagine the price would be
> considerably higher if the bikes were built in the US.

From what I have read they are made in Asia somewhere. And yeah I would
think they would be considerable higher if they were made in the U.S.

> I liked the ride of the Sun Sport model, but didn't feel that I was
> getting much of a noticable improvement over my old Shcwinn Varsity
> (in terms of travel for effort expended in only one test ride, comfort
> was certainly better on the Sun). The Tour Easy, though at least twice
> as costly as the Sun, did feel like less effort than the Shcwinn and I
> have no regrets about parting with the cash to get the bike I chose.

Well that SPORT model did ride nice, but this being my first recumbent
purchase I think I would like to stick to something a little less
pricey, just in case I can't stand the bike. Not that I think that will
happen, but sometimes it's hard to tell on a relatively short "test
ride". Bike shops shop take a deposit, and then let you take the bike
home and ride it for a couple of days of something. I don't know of any
around here that do that though.

Ken
--

Mike Rice wrote:

>>>I will agree though that the EZ series of recumbents are good starter
>>>bikes that won't break your wallet. (I know I'm quoting that from
>>>someplace) I like the bike,
>>>

>>I think that is a quote from the SUN website. Thanks I appreciate the
>>feedback.
>>
>>Ken

> My old Schwinn beat me up pretty good after 30 miles or so. My tour
> Easy is comfortable on rides of 50-70 miles.

Yeah my Raleigh hybrid (32pounds, upright bars, sus fork) is comfortable
up to about 40 miles or so. But the position I am forced to ride in
make me and the bike like a sail in the wind. Most any given day riding
in south Florida my average speed is limited to about 13mph.

Ken
--

Johnny Sunset wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with the bikes mentioned, as long as one accepts
> that their lower price comes at the expense of weight and component
> quality. In addition, unlike a bike such as the RANS Rocket which will
> be faster than an upright road bike in flat to rolling and windy
> conditions, the bicycles mentioned above will be slower than a normal
> drop-bar upright in most conditions.

Well speed is not the most important thing for me. I like to ride some
longer rides, but due to some old back injuries from MV accidents, I
feel discomfort on a diamond frame bike with bars positioned much below
two inches above the saddle. In other words (in case I didn't explain
that right) when the bars go below two inches below the height of the
saddle I have discomfort. So that kind of makes me like a big air dam. I
usually start to feel the resistance at about 14 mph, with my average
speed on rides of 10+ miles hovering around the 12 to 13mph range.

> If the limitations of the entry level CLWB's bikes do not interfere
> with the intended use of the potential owner, they are excellent values
> for the money. If riding fast and/or long distances is expected, there
> are much better choices (that cost considerably more).

Ah yes a better bike can always be had for more money!

Ken
--

Ken M wrote:
> Johnny Sunset wrote:
>

> > There is nothing wrong with the bikes mentioned, as long as one accepts
> > that their lower price comes at the expense of weight and component
> > quality. In addition, unlike a bike such as the RANS Rocket which will
> > be faster than an upright road bike in flat to rolling and windy
> > conditions, the bicycles mentioned above will be slower than a normal
> > drop-bar upright in most conditions.
> >

> Well speed is not the most important thing for me. I like to ride some
> longer rides, but due to some old back injuries from MV accidents, I
> feel discomfort on a diamond frame bike with bars positioned much below
> two inches above the saddle. In other words (in case I didn't explain
> that right) when the bars go below two inches below the height of the
> saddle I have discomfort. So that kind of makes me like a big air dam. I
> usually start to feel the resistance at about 14 mph, with my average
> speed on rides of 10+ miles hovering around the 12 to 13mph range.
>
> > If the limitations of the entry level CLWB's bikes do not interfere
> > with the intended use of the potential owner, they are excellent values
> > for the money. If riding fast and/or long distances is expected, there
> > are much better choices (that cost considerably more).
> >

> Ah yes a better bike can always be had for more money!

Ken,

Since you mention aerodynamic drag on longer rides as a deficiency of
riding an upright bicycle with higher handlebars, it is my opinion that
a CLWB may not be the best bicycle for you. CLWB bikes with the
relatively high seat, low BB and upright seating position are not that
aerodynamic, and may be no better than riding a drop bar upright "on
the hoods".

I am not suggesting that you need to get a lowracer, highracer or fully
faired bike, but a SWB bike with a reasonably high BB and seat recline
will do much better in windy conditions. A LWB bicycle with a front
fairing can also perform well.

The used market may be the better alternative. Bikes such as the RANS
Rocket and Vision R-40 (1999 and later R-40's are better) are/were made
in relatively large quantities, and if not damaged by crashing or
abuse, will likely only require minor work to be fully functional.
There are other less common SWB models that occasionally show up on the
used market.

There are also some older LWB bikes (e.g. RANS Stratus, Easy Racers
Tour Easy) that may fall into your price range. Just be aware that
since these bikes were expensive when new, those selling for less than
$1,000 will be quite old. The main concern here will be that they might
be equipped with things like 6-speed freewheels, so upgrading to modern
drive trains could be expensive. And of course, with any older
bicycles, the frame should be inspected for signs of damage and fatigue
cracking. Also, these bicycles perform much better with front fairings,
so I would look for a used bike with the fairing included.

--

Johnny Sunset wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Since you mention aerodynamic drag on longer rides as a deficiency of
> riding an upright bicycle with higher handlebars, it is my opinion that
> a CLWB may not be the best bicycle for you. CLWB bikes with the
> relatively high seat, low BB and upright seating position are not that
> aerodynamic, and may be no better than riding a drop bar upright "on
> the hoods".

Well I think my diamond frame rides even higher, more upright than a
road bike "on the hoods".

> I am not suggesting that you need to get a lowracer, highracer or fully
> faired bike, but a SWB bike with a reasonably high BB and seat recline
> will do much better in windy conditions. A LWB bicycle with a front
> fairing can also perform well.

Well I know that some swb bikes have a lower frontage area, due to
higher bb and more reclined seat. I experimented with a home-brew swb
last winter. Due to my lack of knowledge of frame geometry it was a bit
unstable, plus heavy steel frame made it weight in at over 40+pounds,
and I had gearing problems as well. But OTOH I did get to ride it enough
to appreciate the swb layout, which is my I inquired in an earlier post
about swb bikes for beginners. I don't know much about fairings,except
that I have read that they improve aerodynamic efficiency.

> The used market may be the better alternative. Bikes such as the RANS
> Rocket and Vision R-40 (1999 and later R-40's are better) are/were made
> in relatively large quantities, and if not damaged by crashing or
> abuse, will likely only require minor work to be fully functional.
> There are other less common SWB models that occasionally show up on the
> used market.

Well the lbs here that is a dealer for both SUN & CYCLE GENIUS
supposedly also has some used models. I will inquire about them on
Tuesday when I go for a test ride.

> There are also some older LWB bikes (e.g. RANS Stratus, Easy Racers
> Tour Easy) that may fall into your price range. Just be aware that
> since these bikes were expensive when new, those selling for less than
> $1,000 will be quite old. The main concern here will be that they might
> be equipped with things like 6-speed freewheels, so upgrading to modern
> drive trains could be expensive. And of course, with any older
> bicycles, the frame should be inspected for signs of damage and fatigue
> cracking. Also, these bicycles perform much better with front fairings,
> so I would look for a used bike with the fairing included.

Thanks for the advise.

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

"Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> I liked the ride of the Sun Sport model, but didn't feel that I was
> getting much of a noticable improvement over my old Shcwinn Varsity
> (in terms of travel for effort expended in only one test ride, comfort
> was certainly better on the Sun). The Tour Easy, though at least twice
> as costly as the Sun, did feel like less effort than the Shcwinn and I
> have no regrets about parting with the cash to get the bike I chose.
>
> Indiana Mike

Recumbents are all about comfort for the vast majority of us. Speed is
incidental. It is never fair to compare uprights with recumbents when it
comes to the comfort factor.

I continue to believe that uprights are faster than recumbents over all. The
only time I was ever faster on any of my many recumbents was going downhill.
If you aren't faster going uphill, you will eventually get dropped by
uprights every time.

I agree with you about the Tour Easy. The Varsity was an unbelievably heavy
bike. Most recumbents are going to weigh around 30 pounds. I think that
Varsity of yours weighed around 45 pounds!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> I am not suggesting that you need to get a lowracer, highracer or fully
> faired bike, but a SWB bike with a reasonably high BB and seat recline
> will do much better in windy conditions. A LWB bicycle with a front
> fairing can also perform well.

My main objection to SWB recumbents is that they do not handle as well as
LWB. You can easily get into difficulties on a SWB that you can avoid on a
LWB.

I have often thought that for someone who is not a fanatic about cycling
that a CLWB is the best choice. You will get some comfort and some handling
ease. You will not be as fast as you would be on other configurations, but I
am assuming that most who come to recumbents are not all that interested in
being fast. If they are, then it is a whole different ball game.

By the way, I have been on many week long bike tours that had quite a few
Bike E's. They seemed to do just fine, but slower. But I do agree, it is not
the optimum recumbent for long tours.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

In article <[email protected]>, Edward
Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Edward Dolan wrote:

> [...]
> >> By the way, I am very much in favor of a company like SUN. They make
> >> recumbents that are not going to cost you an arm and a leg. Unless you
> >> are into racing you do not need a light super fast recumbent. Let's face
> >> it, most of us just ride our bikes around town for some fun and some
> >> exercise. You need a $2000. recumbent to do this?
> >>

> > The model I test rode at the bike shop where I bought my latest diamond
> > frame bike, I think it was a EZ-SPORT price tag was marked $1599.00 I
> > thought that was a bit pricey for a first bike. My current price range is
> > $500-$750 which, to me seems more reasonable for a first 'bent'.

> Ken, I can't believe the way prices of bikes have gone sky high in the past
> 30 years or so. I got my first upright for a little over $100. (a very nice
> French one). Now you have to pay at least several hundred in order to get a
> fairly good upright bike.
>
> But recumbents exist in another universe than uprights. They are all just so
> damn expensive. $500. - $750. is an excellent price point for recumbents.
> Many on this group are into super expensive recumbents. Even I worked my way
> up to a couple of $2000. recumbents, but I have a very bad conscience about
> it.
>
> I have little respect for manufacturers who only know how to bring our very
> expensive recumbents. I will save my respect and admiration for those
> manufacturers who have the smarts to figure out how to bring out a recumbent
> for a few hundred instead of a few thousand. I am of the opinion that any
> dumbbell can bring out a recumbent if price is no object. The trick is to be
> able to do it cheaply. That is why I rather like SUN. They have more smarts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

This is basic economics 101.
Supply and Demand. These small recumbent companies run a tight ship to
stay afloat. They don't make many bikes so they must sell them at a
high margin. Sun and Easy have worked out a great deal here that is
beneficial to the entire industry. Cheap bents means more riders and
more interested parties.

Skip the EZ1 and go straight to the EZ-Sport. Its a champ and doesn't
look like something that just came out of the welding shop class at the
local highschool. Dolan is right, it does handle nice but its fugly.

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 08:53:16 -0500, Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Rice wrote:
>

>> It doesn't hurt that Gardner Martin had worked out the basic geometry
>> with the Easy Racer line for many years before creating the Sun line.
>> Sun bikes are an import ine, aren't they? I imagine the price would be
>> considerably higher if the bikes were built in the US.
>>

> From what I have read they are made in Asia somewhere. And yeah I would
>think they would be considerable higher if they were made in the U.S.
>
>> I liked the ride of the Sun Sport model, but didn't feel that I was
>> getting much of a noticable improvement over my old Shcwinn Varsity
>> (in terms of travel for effort expended in only one test ride, comfort
>> was certainly better on the Sun). The Tour Easy, though at least twice
>> as costly as the Sun, did feel like less effort than the Shcwinn and I
>> have no regrets about parting with the cash to get the bike I chose.
>>

>Well that SPORT model did ride nice, but this being my first recumbent
>purchase I think I would like to stick to something a little less
>pricey, just in case I can't stand the bike. Not that I think that will
>happen, but sometimes it's hard to tell on a relatively short "test
>ride". Bike shops shop take a deposit, and then let you take the bike
>home and ride it for a couple of days of something. I don't know of any
>around here that do that though.
>
>Ken

Ken. if you happen to be here now (6:18 pm EDT) there is a Sun Sport
on E-bay closing in 15 minutes that is currently at $450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-EZ-Sport-...207282907QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Indiana Mike

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:19:57 GMT, Mike Rice <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 08:53:16 -0500, Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Rice wrote:
>>

>>> It doesn't hurt that Gardner Martin had worked out the basic geometry
>>> with the Easy Racer line for many years before creating the Sun line.
>>> Sun bikes are an import ine, aren't they? I imagine the price would be
>>> considerably higher if the bikes were built in the US.
>>>

>> From what I have read they are made in Asia somewhere. And yeah I would
>>think they would be considerable higher if they were made in the U.S.
>>
>>> I liked the ride of the Sun Sport model, but didn't feel that I was
>>> getting much of a noticable improvement over my old Shcwinn Varsity
>>> (in terms of travel for effort expended in only one test ride, comfort
>>> was certainly better on the Sun). The Tour Easy, though at least twice
>>> as costly as the Sun, did feel like less effort than the Shcwinn and I
>>> have no regrets about parting with the cash to get the bike I chose.
>>>

>>Well that SPORT model did ride nice, but this being my first recumbent
>>purchase I think I would like to stick to something a little less
>>pricey, just in case I can't stand the bike. Not that I think that will
>>happen, but sometimes it's hard to tell on a relatively short "test
>>ride". Bike shops shop take a deposit, and then let you take the bike
>>home and ride it for a couple of days of something. I don't know of any
>>around here that do that though.
>>
>>Ken

>Ken. if you happen to be here now (6:18 pm EDT) there is a Sun Sport
>on E-bay closing in 15 minutes that is currently at $450.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-EZ-Sport-...207282907QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>Indiana Mike

Excuse me, it's at $415.

Indiana Mike