Entry Level Road Bike and Competitive Racing

jagler

Jul 4, 2006
I bought an entry level road bike a year ago (Trek 1200) and this year I want to race for my school's club team. I know my bike is probably a lot slower than many of the other guy's bikes out there, but I really want to be competitive and be at least near the front of pack in races. Other than training my @ss off, what can I do to my bike to make it faster (better wheels, lighter frame, etc...)?
trekbike3cy.jpg

Thanks for any help and sorry for being such a newb.

To be honest best thing you could do is get yourself some cycling shoes and pedals instead of platforms. Then ride your bike alot ;-). race and see where you end up... if you enjoy it, then thinking about buying a new bike.

But there is nothing wrong with your Trek 1200 for entry level racing, other than the pedals.

I would question your fit though, as by looking at your pic you are either too big for the bike or riding in a very upright position. (ie not aero).

The bike is not slower as such.. it is more about the engine.

cheers

joel

From your set up I can say your frame looks small for your size. Anyways I would agree with getting some new clipless pedals and cycling shoes. Also remove those reflectors from the wheels as they add unecessary rotational mass. If the race course(s) arent hilly might as well switch to a double crank instead of that triple coz you're not going to need it. All these may not sound much more than making your bike a little lighter and more efficient. From my experience I find a lighter bike better and easier to push (farther, longer & faster) than a heavier one.

The first two suggestions were dead on also i would think about flipping your stem you don't want to be in that position for racing

jagler said:
I bought an entry level road bike a year ago (Trek 1200) and this year I want to race for my school's club team. I know my bike is probably a lot slower than many of the other guy's bikes out there, but I really want to be competitive and be at least near the front of pack in races. Other than training my @ss off, what can I do to my bike to make it faster (better wheels, lighter frame, etc...)?
trekbike3cy.jpg

Thanks for any help and sorry for being such a newb.

Stick with the bike you have for now. I agree with the others about the pedals and adjusting the fit a bit. I am not sure that the frame is too small. You may just need to get more used to riding lower in front. Racing is different than touring, you need to get used to riding in the drops and staying low.

Worry first about the engine, then the bike. You will not be losing races because of the bike. If possible, work with a good coach.

Pedals, shoes, position, all yes!

Stay with the triple, just a 39 tooth middle chainring and a closer ratio cassette, 12-23, and some lighter tyres, Conti GP4000 or Michie Pro Race, will make it a ltttle faster in acceleration. :cool:

I agree on the tires. I have the 1500 which came with the same tires and they did not last long enough. I switched to Contis (4 season)

gclark8 said:
Pedals, shoes, position, all yes!

Stay with the triple, just a 39 tooth middle chainring and a closer ratio cassette, 12-23, and some lighter tyres, Conti GP4000 or Michie Pro Race, will make it a ltttle faster in acceleration. :cool:

FloydLandis said:
The first two suggestions were dead on also i would think about flipping your stem you don't want to be in that position for racing
All good advice here but one question:
How far below the saddle are your bars now? Maybe it's just the photo but it looks like you might end up really low if you flip that stem.

Once your bike fits and is set up in a basic race configuration, it's really all about the engine.

Oh, and tactics, and about a hundred or so other things, few if any of which are about light and expensive bikes.

With a few minor adjustments, your bike will be as competitive as it needs to be at this point.

As everyone has said, it's really not about the bike, it's what's pushing it. I regularly ride with a good friend who is so tight with a dollar that he is still riding his 20 year old steel Trek (I have a full 5 pounds weight advantage on him) that he bought in college. And you guessed it - he kicks my butt everytime.

mace112961 said:
With a few minor adjustments, your bike will be as competitive as it needs to be at this point.

As everyone has said, it's really not about the bike, it's what's pushing it. I regularly ride with a good friend who is so tight with a dollar that he is still riding his 20 year old steel Trek (I have a full 5 pounds weight advantage on him) that he bought in college. And you guessed it - he kicks my butt everytime.
I concur with centiment that is not about the bike (why does that line sound fimiliar *lol*). Your fitness and weight plays a major role as well. Shedding a few kilo's/pounds off your body will heald much better results (only if it doesnt affect your health!) :D

My 5c.......

You really should go clipless pedals. People never believe how big a difference shoes and pedals make until they try them for at least one decent ride. They then never go back! This is the case with my girl friend. She doesn't listen to a word I say until somebody else agrees with me. She now loves clipless has has fitted them to both her new road bike and my old mountain bike she uses to ride to work.

I'd also look at some mid range wheels from shimano or mavic etc. Lighter rotating weight, better bearings, and better aero will make you feel like a rocket ship!

As long as you feel fast and enjoy riding does it matter if you win? For ever winner there is always a 2nd, 3rd 4th, 5th.........

Hello how are you. I have on my road bike crank 53/39 and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. is good setup this or i need somethink else. I try do century and i want do the century the faster i can. I think is flat trail as one man i work with tell me, But that man is ride many years is ride with 54 ring and is tell me the biggest cog used in that trail is was the 21. Why some people say 16 tooth and 18 tooth is magic