Entry Level Road Bike. Trek 1.2/1.5 vs. Defy 2/3

Erok32

Mar 26, 2011
Hello,

Sorry for another "new to road bike" thread. I ride 2-3 x per week on mainly paved trails near chicago. Typical rides last 1-4 hrs and go for up to 45 miles. I love to ride fast, and I'd love to be able to ride longer, but the ergonomics of my hybrid trail bike causes my hands to go numb. I'm in dire need of a road bike and have briefly tried both the defy 3 and trek 1.5. I'm looking for something entry level, but am not sure what to do in terms of model. I can't say how long I will keep the bike, or if I will be looking to upgrade right away because I've never owned a true road bike, but I'd like to keep it for a bit. My question is, will the upgraded derailleurs and carbon fork/seat post make that much of a difference in my ride? Would it be wise to go with the cheaper defy 3 and then upgrade to a full carbon frame a couple of years down the road? I just want a pleasurable ride and to be able to go fast and push myself. I'm also a big guy (6'5" 265) and generate a lot of power when I ride. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 1.5. However, I bought a very gently used 2008 version for far less than 1/2 the price of new, and with some nice accessories to go along with it. I know the 08' doesn't have tiagra shifters, but I think this will still suit me very nicely. I can't wait to take it out on a long ride.

Originally Posted by Erok32 .

I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 1.5. However, I bought a very gently used 2008 version for far less than 1/2 the price of new, and with some nice accessories to go along with it. I know the 08' doesn't have tiagra shifters, but I think this will still suit me very nicely. I can't wait to take it out on a long ride.

That's smart shopping! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Enjoy your bike!

Component-wise, the Giant Defy 2 and the Trek 1.5 are virtually identical. Both are running Shimano Tiagra. When I went in to choose, my LBS carried both Trek and Giant. They set me up on the proper size for each. For me, the Defy 2 felt better. So that is what I went with. Extremely happy with it.

I can see myself upgrading the drivetrain components in a couple of years to Ultegra. But for now it is perfect!

Roger