Entry level road bike?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by JCW, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JCW

JCW New Member

At 55, I just bought my first mountain bike to help me stay in shape. As much as I thought I would hate it, I totally love it. Shortly after getting it, I bought a Trek 7.2FX hybrid and I really like it. I would like to try a road bike, although I hear a lot of comments that I may not like it because of the riding angle.

With 2 kids in college, I don't want to spend a lot of money, especially if I don't like it. I was looking at a Trek 1.1, but it appears that it is cheap and junky from the comments I hear. Is it any better than a Schwinn at Walmart (which I'm sure is also cheap and junky). If I try this and like it, I'll certainly upgrade at some point, but I really don't mind having a less expensive bike around in case I want to carry it on a trip (should it be stolen, etc.).

Thanks for your help. Again, I am not going to spend $1500 just to try out a road bike. :)

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

A good bike shop will let you try out some bikes. If you do try and ride a reasonable distance and not just around the block.
    Comfort levels change as the mileage goes up.

3. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

The Trek 1.1 is an entry level road bike. It's much better than a standard Walmart bike. To find something significantly less expensive, you would have to buy used or from somewhere like bikesdirect.com

4. JCW

JCW New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking an entry level Trek would be better, but it kept getting bashed so bad that I thought I better make sure. Either way, I think I'll keep riding the hybrid and look for a higher quality used road bike. It appears the 2.1 is far superior to the 1.1-1.5.

Thanks again and sorry for being a "newbie" in this area.

5. Brittanyboy

Brittanyboy New Member

Road bikes like jeans have different fits, like the relaxed fit jeans for older guys , they also have relaxed fit bikes. Instead of a pure racing bike try riding a Cannondale Snyapses or a Giant Defy series or Specialized Roubaix. These bikes called endurance bikes have a slightly more upright riding position. They have entry level bikes in the sub $1000.00 range

6. TKOS

TKOS New Member

The Trek 1.1 is fine. Entry level Shimano components, but still should work decently if they are installed and setup correctly. The frame is the same as the rest of the 1 series so you can upgrade the parts as they wear out if you want to. I have the 1200 which is now the 1.2 and it was a great bike for me for years, I even raced it locally in road races and triathlons.

You may want them to set the bike up with a less aggressive riding style. Perhaps make sure the stem and bars are up higher so you don't need to bend over too far.

7. JCW

JCW New Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. You're right about me not needing a full race bike. I've ridden and raced dirt bikes for 35 years and obviously a beginner does not need a 210 lb bottle rocket with great suspension. Actually, they would be worse off trying to ride a race bike and it's probably the same with me on a full race bicycle at this point.

I'm doing anywhere from 10-18 miles per day on my Trek 7.2 Hybrid (which is only a $575 list bike) and it's fine for what I do. I'm averaging about 12-13 mph and I need to average 15-16 mph to ride with the road guys I want to ride with. I'm told the hybrid is 2-3 mph faster than the mountain bike (cruise speed) and the road bike is 2-3 mph faster than the hybrid. That is all I'm looking for....and I definitely prefer the more upright riding position.

I can't believe how much fun riding a bike is after 35 years off of one. I'm building up leg strength and it's really starting to be fun. I'm trying to ride one gear higher every week and that is really helping.

Thanks again everybody!!!