Entry level wheelset

ManOnTheMoon

Dec 5, 2011
hi all,

I decided to go for a pair of lightly used "second hand" wheels for my road bike. I have two choices so far, within the same price range..

a) One is the DT Swiss R1900

b) and the other is the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe

From my previous thread, i was told it would be best to get more spokes due to my weight (about 92 Kg).

From what I have read online, the Mavic seem to be more long lasting even though they have a lower spoke count (20/20)

On the other hand, the DT Swiss has 20/24 but some have had broken spokes etc..

I personally like the look of the DT Swiss more but reliability is my primary concern and I guess this points more towards the Mavic..

What would you suggest? Is that true that the DT Swiss have issues with reliability for heavy riders?

thanks for reading..

cheers

Torpedo7 (on line) have Shimano R500 s on special at NZ $139 (+post) which is exceptional value as they include a wheel bag (resell it?).
I had a set I trained on for 2/3 years.
BBB

thks...its the ones that my girlfriend uses on her Giant bike. So far, so good.

they look good too but i think they also have low spoke counts

cheers

Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon .

thks...its the ones that my girlfriend uses on her Giant bike. So far, so good.

they look good too but i think they also have low spoke counts

cheers
That set has 20f/24 rear spoke counts. I think that's a bit low for you.

Well I have a set of Aksium which are lower than ksirium or whatever they are called. I have no complains, I weight more than 92kg and roads in Costa Rica are far from smooth and we have a lot of hills. So eventhough they may have a low spole count they are strong. Going down a road I hit a pothole that I thought had broken my frame or something it was nasty. The wheels just got out of true a little and I didn't even take them to the shop for fixing or guarantee claim. I was able to true them by myself.

I agree with Alienator. A hand built set with nice hubs, 32 spokes and a quality rim will set you back less then most factory wheels, and will be more reliable and easier to service.