Ephedrine linked to fattie fatality

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Amit, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amit

    Amit Guest

    Tags:


  2. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 2/18/03 4:00 PM, in article [email protected], "Danny Callen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html
    >>
    >> This time they linked ephedrine.
    >>
    >> fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    >>
    >> -Amit
    >
    > Just because someone dies that isn't a sklinny little shit, doesn't mean you have to be
    > disrespectful. Show some class.
    >
    > Danny Callen
    >
    >

    No shit........

    This "henry" induced fattie shit is getting real old
     
  4. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Amit wrote:

    > http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html
    >
    > This time they linked ephedrine.
    >
    > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    >
    > -Amit

    I would expect a post like this from turdina... not you, Amit.

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
    fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
    <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.
     
  5. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

  6. "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > >
    > > -Amit
    >
    > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
    >
    > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
    >
    > -Ken
    >

    According an AP story,

    "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the Orioles organization and
    weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his conditioning, he
    was unable to complete running drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.

    Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
    offseason."

    Where's your source, Ken?
     
  7. Jack M

    Jack M Guest

    "spam hater" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Amit wrote:
    >
    > > http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html
    > >
    > > This time they linked ephedrine.
    > >
    > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > >
    > > -Amit
    >
    > I would expect a post like this from turdina... not you, Amit.
    >
    > Joe

    I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have a problem with fat people. After all, he's been banging your
    mom for years.
     
  8. "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA78148D.2C8AA%[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > No shit........
    >
    > This "henry" induced fattie shit is getting real old

    The timing of Amit's post is open to discussion, but the fact that Americans eat too much is not.

    As for me I"m merely following the lead of the Surgeon General and the head of the Center for
    Disease Control:

    From: http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/07/100.calories.ap/

    But scientists are searching for different approaches to what is fast becoming a national epidemic.
    Sixty percent of U.S. adults are overweight, and the government blames 300,000 deaths a year on
    weight-related diseases. "The biggest problem we face in America is not terrorism. The biggest
    health problem we're facing is obesity," Dr. Julie Gerberding, head of the Centers for Disease
    Control and Prevention, told The Associated Press last week.

    <snip>

    Using that same government data, he estimated that, on average, people gain 2 pounds a year, which
    equals 50 extra calories stored each day

    <snip><end>

    I use the term "Masters Fatties" because it is plainly visible, even in an endurance sport like ours
    where more leanness generally equals higher performance, that the older the racers are the bigger
    they are. I can tell a Masters field from far away - the shapes on the bikes look different than in
    the pro1/2 fields. The 2 lb./year gain is accepted in our sport as it is in our society at large. A
    few decades of that translates into serious health risks. And don't get me started on the aesthetic
    aspect, which is secondary.

    As for the pitcher's fitness:

    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm

    Bechler, who was 6-foot-2 and 239 pounds, had battled weight for much of his five-year professional
    career. Asked about the pitcher's conditioning, manager Mike Hargrove was quoted as saying it was
    ``not good.''

    <snip>

    The speculation is that he took ephedrine as a weight loss measure. Considering the difference in
    salary between the major league minimum and Triple A, it's not surprising that he would take that
    risk. It's too bad for him, his family, his friends, the Baltimore Oriolies and his pregnant wife
    that he couldn't keep his weight down by balancing his caloric intake with his energy expenditure
    during the off-season.
     
  9. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > > >
    > > > -Amit
    > >
    > > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
    > >
    > > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
    > >
    > > -Ken
    > >
    >
    > According an AP story,
    >
    > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
    Orioles
    > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his
    > conditioning, he was unable to complete
    running
    > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
    >
    > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
    > offseason."

    Add:

    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm

    Broward ME says weight-loss drug probably contributed to death of Baltimore Orioles pitcher

    By The Associated Press

    FORT LAUDERDALE - A weight-loss drug banned by many sports leagues but not major league baseball
    probably contributed to the heatstroke death of Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect Steve Bechler, a
    medical examiner said Tuesday.

    <snip>

    If a *baseball* workout gets someone's temperature up to 108 degrees and kills him, something is
    seriously wrong. It's not like he was climbing Alpe'd'Huez.
     
  10. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<b2uhg0$3a1

    >
    > Just because someone dies that isn't a sklinny little shit, doesn't mean you have to be
    > disrespectful. Show some class.
    >

    Yeah you're right. My first reaction was to the fact that: here was this kid (23 yrs old) who let
    himself get out of shape and used drugs to try to fix it. He probably wasn't aware of the dangerous
    situation he was in.

    -Amit
     
  11. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > > >
    > > > -Amit
    > >
    > > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
    > >
    > > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
    > >
    > > -Ken
    > >
    >
    > According an AP story,
    >
    > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
    Orioles
    > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his
    > conditioning, he was unable to complete
    running
    > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
    >
    > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
    > offseason."
    >
    > Where's your source, Ken?
    >
    >
    >

    Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How would
    you feel if you were one of his family and read that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou"
    atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls because
    they're ":underweight". It makes no sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.

    I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act this way. The death of an
    athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?

    Danny Callen
     
  12. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:47:45 -0500, "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect.

    Yeah! Show some respect for the fat fuck for Christ's sake.

    Sheesh. Some people...

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp
     
  13. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > >
    > > > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > > > >
    > > > > -Amit
    > > >
    > > > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
    > > >
    > > > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
    > > >
    > > > -Ken
    > > >
    > >
    > > According an AP story,
    > >
    > > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
    > Orioles
    > > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with
    > > his conditioning, he was unable to complete
    > running
    > > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
    > >
    > > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to
    train
    > > properly during the offseason."
    > >
    > > Where's your source, Ken?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
    > would you feel if you were one of his family and
    read
    > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
    > cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense
    > to me and really tugs my short hairs.
    >
    > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
    this
    > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?
    >

    No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not trying
    to disparage him. I think it is a sad, unfortunate tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson that others
    can learn from. But my point wasn't about that; it was simply to show Ken that he actually did have
    a weight problem. That's all.
     
  14. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
    > would you feel if you were one of his family and
    read
    > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
    > cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense
    > to me and really tugs my short hairs.
    >
    > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
    this
    > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?

    Tell that to the press and the medical examiner.

    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm
     
  15. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
    > would you feel if you were one of his family and read that post. Here we go with our "Holier than
    > thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls
    > because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.
    >

    Ok, ok. I was a callous in the way I posted this, since this was a young pitcher I'd never heard of.
    FWIW, the guy was heavy (BMI over
    30). The only reason I posted this was because I know I lot of cyclists do use ephedrine. Often the
    people who do take ephedrine are the people it can be the worst for.

    -Amit
     
  16. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > > >
    > > > > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > -Amit
    > > > >
    > > > > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
    > > > >
    > > > > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
    > > > >
    > > > > -Ken
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > According an AP story,
    > > >
    > > > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
    > > Orioles
    > > > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with
    > > > his conditioning, he was unable to complete
    > > running
    > > > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
    > > >
    > > > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to
    > train
    > > > properly during the offseason."
    > > >
    > > > Where's your source, Ken?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
    > > would you feel if you were one of his family and
    > read
    > > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes
    a
    > > bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight".
    > > It makes no sense to me and really tugs my
    short
    > > hairs.
    > >
    > > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
    > this
    > > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?
    > >
    >
    > No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not
    > trying to disparage him. I think it is a sad,
    unfortunate
    > tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson that others can learn from. But my point wasn't about that;
    > it was simply to show Ken that he actually did
    have
    > a weight problem. That's all.
    >
    >

    Fair enough. I didn't like the tone of the original post but I do believe it is worth noting the
    dangers of Ephedrine..

    Danny Callen
     
  17. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<b2uhg0$3a1
    >
    > >
    > > Just because someone dies that isn't a sklinny little shit, doesn't mean
    you
    > > have to be disrespectful. Show some class.
    > >
    >
    > Yeah you're right. My first reaction was to the fact that: here was this kid (23 yrs old) who let
    > himself get out of shape and used drugs to try to fix it. He probably wasn't aware of the
    > dangerous situation he was in.
    >
    > -Amit

    No worries Amit, I agree he was overweight and I also agree that your intentions were not
    necessarily to be disrespectful in particular. I do wonder if we as cyclists are overestimating what
    is considered "overweight". Henry is 100% correct in stating that too many Americans are overweight,
    but I think we are maybe being too critical.

    Danny Callen
     
  18. > > >
    > >
    > > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
    > > would you feel if you were one of his family and
    > read
    > > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
    > > cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no
    > > sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.
    > >
    > > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
    > this
    > > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?
    > >
    >
    > No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not
    > trying to disparage him. I think it is a sad, unfortunate tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson
    > that others can learn from. But my point wasn't about that; it was simply to show Ken that he
    > actually did have a weight problem. That's all.

    I think the original post did miss a certain point. That point being the loss of life of a young
    man, who had not even hit the prime of his life. The original post was disparaging to the person who
    died. And the title of this thread is disrespectful (Ephedrine linked to fattie fatality). A better
    title might have been "Ephedrine linked to fatality". Think of it in a flip-flop situation and if it
    had been a brother or a son of yours. Would you want to read about someone calling your now dead
    brother/son the following: fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat. That's just cold and
    wrong. Have a little respect will you.

    Tom
     
  19. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, ok. I was a callous in the way I posted this, since this was a young pitcher I'd never heard
    > of. FWIW, the guy was heavy (BMI over
    > 30). The only reason I posted this was because I know I lot of cyclists do use ephedrine. Often
    > the people who do take ephedrine are the people it can be the worst for.
    >
    Amit Amit Amit.... You're not doing your troll index any good by replying to your own thread. Take a
    lesson from Emma.
     
  20. Jason Murray

    Jason Murray Guest

    Amit <[email protected]> wrote:
    > http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html

    > This time they linked ephedrine.

    > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.

    I'm pretty sure fatfuck+heat+exercise-rehydration would do it just fine. No need to slander the
    ephedrine. No everyone is going to be like "Oh he we on that bad ephedrine stuff, he would have been
    fine otherwise." No, he died of heat stroke.

    > -Amit

    --

    +---
    | Jason Murray, P.Eng.
    +---
    | The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised
    | community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral,
    | is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be
    | better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to
    | do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or
    | reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting
    | him with any evil in case he do otherwise. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the
    | individual is sovereign.
    +--- John Stuart Mill
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...