Ephedrine linked to fattie fatality

No ****........

This "henry" induced fattie **** is getting real old

Amit wrote:

> http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html
>
> This time they linked ephedrine.
>
> fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
>
> -Amit

I would expect a post like this from turdina... not you, Amit.

Joe
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
> >
> > -Amit
>
> That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
>
> You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
>
> -Ken

According an AP story,

"The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the Orioles organization and
weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his conditioning, he
was unable to complete running drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.

Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
offseason."

Where's your source, Ken?

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA78148D.2C8AA%[email protected]...

> No ****........
>
> This "henry" induced fattie **** is getting real old

The timing of Amit's post is open to discussion, but the fact that Americans eat too much is not.

As for me I"m merely following the lead of the Surgeon General and the head of the Center for
Disease Control:

From: http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/07/100.calories.ap/

But scientists are searching for different approaches to what is fast becoming a national epidemic.
Sixty percent of U.S. adults are overweight, and the government blames 300,000 deaths a year on
weight-related diseases. "The biggest problem we face in America is not terrorism. The biggest
health problem we're facing is obesity," Dr. Julie Gerberding, head of the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, told The Associated Press last week.

<snip>

Using that same government data, he estimated that, on average, people gain 2 pounds a year, which
equals 50 extra calories stored each day

<snip><end>

I use the term "Masters Fatties" because it is plainly visible, even in an endurance sport like ours
where more leanness generally equals higher performance, that the older the racers are the bigger
they are. I can tell a Masters field from far away - the shapes on the bikes look different than in
the pro1/2 fields. The 2 lb./year gain is accepted in our sport as it is in our society at large. A
few decades of that translates into serious health risks. And don't get me started on the aesthetic
aspect, which is secondary.

As for the pitcher's fitness:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm

Bechler, who was 6-foot-2 and 239 pounds, had battled weight for much of his five-year professional
career. Asked about the pitcher's conditioning, manager Mike Hargrove was quoted as saying it was
``not good.''

<snip>

The speculation is that he took ephedrine as a weight loss measure. Considering the difference in
salary between the major league minimum and Triple A, it's not surprising that he would take that
risk. It's too bad for him, his family, his friends, the Baltimore Oriolies and his pregnant wife
that he couldn't keep his weight down by balancing his caloric intake with his energy expenditure
during the off-season.

> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
> > >
> > > -Amit
> >
> > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
> >
> > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
> >
> > -Ken
> >

> According an AP story,
>
> "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
Orioles
> organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his
> conditioning, he was unable to complete
running
> drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
>
> Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
> offseason."

Add:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm

Broward ME says weight-loss drug probably contributed to death of Baltimore Orioles pitcher

By The Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE - A weight-loss drug banned by many sports leagues but not major league baseball
probably contributed to the heatstroke death of Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect Steve Bechler, a
medical examiner said Tuesday.

<snip>

If a *baseball* workout gets someone's temperature up to 108 degrees and kills him, something is
seriously wrong. It's not like he was climbing Alpe'd'Huez.

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<b2uhg0$3a1

> Just because someone dies that isn't a sklinny little ****, doesn't mean you have to be
> disrespectful. Show some class.

Yeah you're right. My first reaction was to the fact that: here was this kid (23 yrs old) who let
himself get out of shape and used drugs to try to fix it. He probably wasn't aware of the dangerous
situation he was in.

-Amit

> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.
> > >
> > > -Amit
> >
> > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
> >
> > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
> >
> > -Ken
> >

> According an AP story,
>
> "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
Orioles
> organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with his
> conditioning, he was unable to complete
running
> drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
>
> Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to train properly during the
> offseason."
>
> Where's your source, Ken?

Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How would
you feel if you were one of his family and read that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou"
atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls because
they're ":underweight". It makes no sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.

I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act this way. The death of an
athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?

Danny Callen

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:47:45 -0500, "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect.

Yeah! Show some respect for the fat **** for Christ's sake.

Sheesh. Some people...

Thanks, Ronde Chimp

> > > That pitcher was no fat-f*ck either.
> > >
> > > You're perfect Amit! (or else in a bad mood)
> > >
> > > -Ken
> > >

> > According an AP story,
> >
> > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
> Orioles
> > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with
> > his conditioning, he was unable to complete
> running
> > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
> >
> > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to
train
> > properly during the offseason."
> >
> > Where's your source, Ken?
> >

> Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
> would you feel if you were one of his family and
read
> that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
> cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense
> to me and really tugs my short hairs.
>
> I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
this
> way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?

No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not trying
to disparage him. I think it is a sad, unfortunate tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson that others
can learn from. But my point wasn't about that; it was simply to show Ken that he actually did have
a weight problem. That's all.

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
> would you feel if you were one of his family and
read
> that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
> cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense
> to me and really tugs my short hairs.
>
> I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
this
> way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?

Tell that to the press and the medical examiner.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5209186.htm

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
> would you feel if you were one of his family and read that post. Here we go with our "Holier than
> thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls
> because they're ":underweight". It makes no sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.

Ok, ok. I was a callous in the way I posted this, since this was a young pitcher I'd never heard of.
FWIW, the guy was heavy (BMI over
30). The only reason I posted this was because I know I lot of cyclists do use ephedrine. Often the
people who do take ephedrine are the people it can be the worst for.

-Amit

> > > According an AP story,
> > >
> > > "The 6-foot-2 Bechler had battled a weight problem since joining the
> > Orioles
> > > organization and weighed 249 pounds Friday, 10 pounds above his listed weight. Struggling with
> > > his conditioning, he was unable to complete
> > running
> > > drills Saturday and was scolded by manager Mike Hargrove.
> > >
> > > Teammate Matt Riley said Bechler later acknowledged he had failed to
> train
> > > properly during the offseason."
> > >
> > > Where's your source, Ken?
> > >

> > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
> > would you feel if you were one of his family and
> read
> > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes
> > bunch of wannabe cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight".
> > It makes no sense to me and really tugs my
short
> > hairs.
> >
> > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
> this
> > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?
> >

> No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not
> trying to disparage him. I think it is a sad,
unfortunate
> tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson that others can learn from. But my point wasn't about that;
> it was simply to show Ken that he actually did
have
> a weight problem. That's all.

Fair enough. I didn't like the tone of the original post but I do believe it is worth noting the
dangers of Ephedrine..

Danny Callen

"Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<b2uhg0$3a1
>

> > Just because someone dies that isn't a sklinny little ****, doesn't mean
you
> > have to be disrespectful. Show some class.
> >

> Yeah you're right. My first reaction was to the fact that: here was this kid (23 yrs old) who let
> himself get out of shape and used drugs to try to fix it. He probably wasn't aware of the
> dangerous situation he was in.
>
> -Amit

No worries Amit, I agree he was overweight and I also agree that your intentions were not
necessarily to be disrespectful in particular. I do wonder if we as cyclists are overestimating what
is considered "overweight". Henry is 100% correct in stating that too many Americans are overweight,
but I think we are maybe being too critical.

Danny Callen

> > Your missing the point Carl. It's not about him being 'fat' per se. It's about disrespect. How
> > would you feel if you were one of his family and
> read
> > that post. Here we go with our "Holier than thou" atititude. What makes a bunch of wannabe
> > cyclists think they have the world by the balls because they're ":underweight". It makes no
> > sense to me and really tugs my short hairs.
> >
> > I think we've had this argument before but "real" atheletes don't act
> this
> > way. The death of an athelete is at least a time to show a little class, isn't it?
> >

> No I'm not missing your point. I do have empathy for the poor guy and his family and I'm not
> trying to disparage him. I think it is a sad, unfortunate tragedy but can hopefully be a lesson
> that others can learn from. But my point wasn't about that; it was simply to show Ken that he
> actually did have a weight problem. That's all.

I think the original post did miss a certain point. That point being the loss of life of a young
man, who had not even hit the prime of his life. The original post was disparaging to the person who
died. And the title of this thread is disrespectful (Ephedrine linked to fattie fatality). A better
title might have been "Ephedrine linked to fatality". Think of it in a flip-flop situation and if it
had been a brother or a son of yours. Would you want to read about someone calling your now dead
brother/son the following: fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat. That's just cold and
wrong. Have a little respect will you.

Tom

"Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, ok. I was a callous in the way I posted this, since this was a young pitcher I'd never heard
> of. FWIW, the guy was heavy (BMI over
> 30). The only reason I posted this was because I know I lot of cyclists do use ephedrine. Often
> the people who do take ephedrine are the people it can be the worst for.

Amit Amit Amit.... You're not doing your troll index any good by replying to your own thread. Take a
lesson from Emma.

Amit <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0218/1510772.html

> This time they linked ephedrine.

> fatfuck+heat+exercise+ephedrine --> some dead meat.

I'm pretty sure fatfuck+heat+exercise-rehydration would do it just fine. No need to slander the
ephedrine. No everyone is going to be like "Oh he we on that bad ephedrine stuff, he would have been
fine otherwise." No, he died of heat stroke.

--

+---
| Jason Murray, P.Eng.
+---
| The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised
| community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral,
| is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be
| better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to
| do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or
| reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting
| him with any evil in case he do otherwise. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the
| individual is sovereign.
+--- John Stuart Mill