Epic Hi-speed, HiWheel crash on line!

Martin Krieg

Guest
How often do most people here even see a HiWheel bicycle in action? Much
less see one going down hill? Since I am riding one a lot now (it
greatly increases my recumbent riding strength) and can't see myself the
few times I've been challenged by a worthy descent, even I have to admit
I've never been witness to such insanity. Nor do I do them fast as the
madly spinning pedals on that huge front wheel (a fixed gear) can force
a discordant wobble that is unnerving at best. Nor do I so with my feet
over the top of the handlebars as in let it all hang out.......

Ah, but 1984 TransAm HiWheel vet Jack Castor (SF to Boston in 44 days)
does. And a film crew was there to document this excitement in November
of 2001 on the south island of New Zealand as he rode the Otematata
Grade. Riding a Penny Farthing that was built in Christchurch, New
Zealand by Robin Willan, Jack is rumored to have reached 40 miles an
hour. In fact, in the film clip ahead, so that Jack does not run into
them, you can hear the videographer desperately imploring his driver to
go faster, in French, with the words, "More speed, more speed". When all
of a sudden Jack's tire rolls of the rim.

At six feet above the ground, his bike slides out. He hits the ground
so hard that his legs cannot hold him as the force of the collision
hammers him into the asphalt. In the slow motion version which amplifies
every action, he looks like a lifeless rag doll, as he bounces across
the road to a stop in the weed filled shoulder. I have never seen
anything like this before in my life. Out loud I exclaimed "WOW" in
disbelief. The fact that Jack survived with no more than cuts and
bruises and dislocated joints fully astounds me.

The following video takes a while to load, 3-7 minutes depending on the
speed of your connection and the time of day you access it. But I
guarantee it will be worth your time. I say click on the link. Open a
new browser window and attend to your other computer needs. If you have
the sound on, you can hear the clip when it begins to play as there is
music when it starts.

Here's the link: http://bikeroute.com/jacksCrashclip.avi

If HIWheels, the first bicycle, also called Penny Farthings, Boneshakers
or Ordinaries, interest you, take a look at our HiWheel page at:
http://bikeroute.com/HiWheeler

The above blog entry can be found at our bent blog at
http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents as
http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000066.html

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
Can You Change it with Love?
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

I have spoken with Jack while he was stopped in Palo Alto. I received the
full report and conducted a tech inspection of the bike he rides. I was
totally taken aback by the weight and overall crudeness. Yet I have seen him
going over the Dumbarton and in farther reaches of the Bay Area.

He is amazing and totally comfortable on his rig.

Martin Krieg <[email protected]> wrote:

> The fact that Jack survived with no more than cuts and
> bruises and dislocated joints fully astounds me.

Forget that, what about the bike?

(or do spammers read followups to their posts?)

RFM

Martin Krieg wrote of Jack Castor falling:

> At six feet above the ground, his bike slides out.

Interesting clip. I noticed that there was shimmy
as he was JRA with his legs over the bars.

Also, the tire was separating from the rim well before
he crashed. You can see it clearly on the "close-up"
about half way through the clip. There's a gap
between the rim and the tire just ahead of the
contact patch.

I'm glad there weren't more trucks on the road.

-=E

Eric Topp wrote:
|| Martin Krieg wrote of Jack Castor falling:
||| At six feet above the ground, his bike slides out.
|| Interesting clip. I noticed that there was shimmy
|| as he was JRA with his legs over the bars.
|| Also, the tire was separating from the rim well before
|| he crashed. You can see it clearly on the "close-up"
|| about half way through the clip. There's a gap
|| between the rim and the tire just ahead of the
|| contact patch.

I'm curious. After the tire started separating from the rim, was there any
way he could have avoided crashing at that point? It seems pretty much a
done deal at that point to me.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Eric Topp wrote:
> || Interesting clip. I noticed that there was shimmy
> || as he was JRA with his legs over the bars.
> || Also, the tire was separating from the rim well before
> || he crashed. You can see it clearly on the "close-up"
> || about half way through the clip. There's a gap
> || between the rim and the tire just ahead of the
> || contact patch.
>
> I'm curious. After the tire started separating from the rim, was there any
> way he could have avoided crashing at that point? It seems pretty much a
> done deal at that point to me.

It's a matter of dumb luck, at that point. he loses control because the
metal rim has no grip on the pavement.

At best, he might have been able to ride into the ditch and soften his
landing.

There's a lot of reasons why safety bicycles took over, and this video
illustrates several. Note that this is something of a better-case
scenario, since the rider landed on his feet, not the ever-popular face,
which is quite easy on a high-wheeler from what I understand.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> There's a lot of reasons why safety bicycles took over, and this
> video illustrates several. Note that this is something of a
> better-case scenario, since the rider landed on his feet, not the
> ever-popular face, which is quite easy on a high-wheeler from what
> I understand.

I wonder if that's the reason for the feet-over-handlebars position --
to turn face plants into foot plants.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: [email protected])

In article <[email protected]>,
Ray Heindl <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > There's a lot of reasons why safety bicycles took over, and this
> > video illustrates several. Note that this is something of a
> > better-case scenario, since the rider landed on his feet, not the
> > ever-popular face, which is quite easy on a high-wheeler from what
> > I understand.

> I wonder if that's the reason for the feet-over-handlebars position --
> to turn face plants into foot plants.

It can't hurt, but I believe the main intention is to keep the feet out
of the way while the pedals (and wheels) spin freely.

I've seen video of modern fixie-riders doing the same thing (feet on
bars) for largely the same reason (pedals spinning freely).

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Another point is the fact that the front tire is SOLID rubber. No inner
tube. This is one of the factors that surprised me. It is a true Bone
Shaker. Imagine riding on a garden hose filled with solidified tar.

Feet before face anyday!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Brian Wax" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Another point is the fact that the front tire is SOLID rubber. No inner
> tube. This is one of the factors that surprised me. It is a true Bone
> Shaker. Imagine riding on a garden hose filled with solidified tar.

Solid rubber tires are normal for high-wheel bikes. I think the only
saving grace is the sheer size of the tire, which tends to let the tire
roll a little more easily over small pavement irregularities. But yeah,
there's another reason why the safety bicycle took over.

> Feet before face anyday!

Stop. You'll only get the recumbent people started.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Brian Wax" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Another point is the fact that the front tire is SOLID rubber. No inner
> > tube. This is one of the factors that surprised me. It is a true Bone
> > Shaker. Imagine riding on a garden hose filled with solidified tar.

> Solid rubber tires are normal for high-wheel bikes. I think the only
> saving grace is the sheer size of the tire, which tends to let the tire
> roll a little more easily over small pavement irregularities. But yeah,
> there's another reason why the safety bicycle took over.
>
> > Feet before face anyday!

> Stop. You'll only get the recumbent people started.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
> Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Their beards are groomed and ready for battle....