EPIC S-WORKS Disc Test Ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by ..::Tbf::.., Jun 16, 2003.

  1. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    I posted an Epic Comp test review yesterday after trying one out for a few hours.

    Got into the office a little late today and found some dude sitting in my chair. Turns out he was a
    client, although we had never met prior to this morning. I took over the portfolio with his holdings
    back in December and he was in for an operating line of credit.

    He introduces himself and tells me the name of his business.... I almost fell of my chair to
    discover it was the bike shop down the street from my office. I've been in there a few times looking
    around but never spoke with anyone except the wrench.

    I start telling him about my ride on the Comp the previous day and he lights up. He's totally stoked
    on the Epic line and couldn't believe that I wouldn't trade my Jamis for one. I think he took it as
    an insult because right after we sign the contracts and shake hands, he leaves and comes back with a
    brand spanking new Epic S-Works FSR., dripping with 03' XTR, Roll X
    2.'s, Easton Bar, Post and Stem, only marred by that god awful BG saddle Specialized insists on
    torturing people with.

    My mind starting racing wondering if this guy was giving me the bike or something. Afterall my gift
    value limit is only $100 and I'm thinking how to explain it away to my VP.

    Turns out that he wanted me to try out the top of the line model, so he brought along a set of
    racing shoes, which oddly enough, was my exact size
    (3). The guy sized me up thoroughly down to the jersey and shorts too (he let me keep those).

    He says "Take this bad boy out for a spin and tell me if you change your mind". I made a couple
    quick excuses to my assistant and took off around town for a ride.

    First off, the S-Works bike was WAY lighter than the comp! and the parts spec was smoother and more
    predictable. It was my first crack at the new 03' XTR and I must say, I dig it!

    I hit a few curbs, steps, speed bumps, potholes, etc and my honest opinion:

    It's still a hardtail and you never know when the Brain will kick in and soften things up. I felt
    faster, but I'm sure it's the parts spec, and no matter what anyone says, I still don't like the
    Roll X tires or the saddle.

    Would I pay $4500 for the bike? no way, I would still opt for the NRS Air if I wanted part-time rear
    suspension, for half the cheese. My Jamis is way more responsive suspension-wise, which is exactly
    why I sold my HT last Winter.

    But if the guy feels like he wants me to take one off his hands as a gift, I'm str8 up with
    that program!

    I can definitely see the pro racers switching to the S-Works model, it's a big improvement over an
    elite HT on anything but super-smooth courses. As usual, Specialized workmanship is top notch for a
    mass produced bike...but then so is the Giant line. For the money, I would rather trade up from my
    heavy components to the XTR/Easton parts spec and reap the weight savings. I'd take a trip to
    Scotland with the rest of the money and ride the wheels of my Jamis.

    Tags:

  2. > It's still a hardtail and you never know when the Brain will kick in and soften things up. I felt
    > faster, but I'm sure it's the parts spec, and no matter what anyone says, I still don't like the
    > Roll X tires or the
    saddle.

    That was my feeling exactly. I just couldn't tell the Epic was actually a dually. I could see the
    suspension moving, but it was NOT taking the edge off of the bumps. I've spent a few minutes on my
    friend's Santa Cruz Blur and I like it much better.

    RS

    Disclaimer: I ride a SuperLight and I am somewhat biased towards Santa Cruz since they have
    treated me well.

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > First off, the S-Works bike was WAY lighter than the comp! and the parts spec was smoother and
    > more predictable. It was my first crack at the new
    03'
    > XTR and I must say, I dig it!

    The only thing I would change about my sworks fsr is to swap out the 952 rear derailer with the new
    962. I was talking to the shimano sales rep today, and he says that's the reason the shifting is
    subpar on that bike. The new XTR derailer has a much stronger spring (even if it is reversed), and
    it should make the shifting much quicker and able to handle shifts under load. I'll try to score a
    new 962 derailer and see if it helps... if not I'll just dump the entire XTR shifting system and go
    with my tried and true SRAM X.0.

    > I hit a few curbs, steps, speed bumps, potholes, etc and my honest
    opinion:

    > It's still a hardtail and you never know when the Brain will kick in and soften things up. I felt
    > faster, but I'm sure it's the parts spec, and no matter what anyone says, I still don't like the
    > Roll X tires or the
    saddle.

    Since I'm a hardtail fan, I have no complaints here. It softens the bumps much more than a hardtail
    would. The shock is actually doing its job most of the time without you knowing it. It seems to be
    more functional toward increasing traction rather than delivering cushy comfort. This is simply
    something you would need to adapt to, and takes longer than one ride to get used to.

    > Would I pay $4500 for the bike? no way, <snip>

    Me either.

    -John Morgan

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:hOwHa.73370$%[email protected]... <snip>

    > Since I'm a hardtail fan, I have no complaints here. It softens the bumps much more than a
    > hardtail would. The shock is actually doing its job most of the time without you knowing it. It
    > seems to be more functional toward increasing traction rather than delivering cushy comfort. This
    > is simply something you would need to adapt to, and takes longer than one ride to
    get
    > used to.
    >
    > > Would I pay $4500 for the bike? no way, <snip>
    >
    > Me either.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    I feel the same way you do, John. I've always been a hardtail rider and this is my first foray into
    the world of FS. It works for me and the way I ride. I had to get the S-Works frame because it was
    significantly lighter than the lower models. I love it, but I don't love it to the tune of $4500. I
    just bought the frame and built it up with components I already had. I'd like to get a new wheelset
    and go to disk brakes one day, but for now I'm pretty happy with Vs and 517s (with Stan's).

    Matt

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I feel the same way you do, John. I've always been a hardtail rider and
    this
    > is my first foray into the world of FS. It works for me and the way I
    ride.
    > I had to get the S-Works frame because it was significantly lighter than
    the
    > lower models. I love it, but I don't love it to the tune of $4500. I just bought the frame and
    > built it up with components I already had. I'd like
    > get a new wheelset and go to disk brakes one day, but for now I'm pretty happy with Vs and 517s
    > (with Stan's).
    >
    > Matt

    This is my second foray, so to speak. Heheh. At first I was convinced I was ready to "go large" and
    get a big beefy 5 inch trail bike... so I went for it. Either I was a victim of freeride hype, or
    merely a fool. I have never broken a bicycle component due to stress or abuse, I didn't need a 33
    pound bike. So went back to basics and assembled the lightest hardtail I could afford, and loved it.
    Not long ago I had the opportunity and the means to try the newest technology, which leans toward
    hardtail riders--so why not? =) If they lighten it up a bit next year and add a bump threshold knob
    to the brain, I'll just sell it and trade up for the newer model....

    -John Morgan