EPO and Cutoff Point

Churchill

Guest
What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
France ?!

Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.

Comments welcome -:)

"Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
> France ?!
>
> Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
> just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.
>
> Comments welcome -:)

My comment is that you obviously don't know how testing for exogenous EPO is
performed.

Andy Coggan

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:44:02 -0400, "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
>France ?!
>
>Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
>just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.
>
>Comments welcome -:)

Go for it. The other riders will appreciate your withdrawal from
competition.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

Churchill <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
> France ?!

> Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
> just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.

You are confusing EPO, a chemical, and hematocrit, a measure
of red blood cell concentration. There are both an EPO test and
a hematocrit cut-off point, 50% for men. If you want more
information, search the groups.google.com archives.

Please stop crossposting all of your questions between r.b.misc,
racing, and tech. Choose the most appropriate newsgroup and
post there.

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the
>> Tour de France ?!
>>
>> Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their
>> EPO is just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.
>>
>> Comments welcome -:)

> My comment is that you obviously don't know how testing for
> exogenous EPO is performed.

Well, keep in mind that Churchill seems to be a troll. But you are
right, there are methods for testing for a high likelihood of EPO
doping, although that does not appear to be foolproof. And Churchill
does not seem to know this, even though it's been quite publicized.

>"Churchill" [email protected] Writes:

>What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
>France ?!
>
>Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
>just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.

You are about 5 years too late. You will need to invent a time machine to take
you back before testing was designed for exogenous EPO. FYI I've included the
link below.

http://www.dpcweb.com/documents/news&views/winter01/sydney2000.htm

On 2004-07-03 06:16:26 -0700, "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> said:

> "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What is the percentage cut-off point for being booted out of the Tour de
>> France ?!
>>
>> Presumably, with the aid of a physician a rider could ensure their EPO is
>> just under the cut-off point and take advantage of doping.
>>
>> Comments welcome -:)

> My comment is that you obviously don't know how testing for exogenous EPO is
> performed.

Well, it didn't catch Millar did it? He tested clean repeatedly, but
admitted he was taking it.

So the tests haven't caught up with what they're using, for now at least.