EPO and Training

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    I am correct in the assumption that taking EPO during training would have little effect in producing
    a better athlete once the red blood cell count returns to normal.

    The point here is that it seems to me, unlike steriods, EPO has to be used close to competition. Is
    this right?

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Steven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am correct in the assumption that taking EPO during training would have little effect in
    > producing a better athlete once the red blood cell count returns to normal.
    >
    > The point here is that it seems to me, unlike steriods, EPO has to be used close to competition.
    > Is this right?

    I'm not sure that it is, as I can envision potential mechanisms by which training when using EPO
    could result in beneficial physiological adaptations that would outlast the increase in hematocrit.
    OTOH, I seem to recall that the research studies done in Australia in which athletes were given EPO
    found that there were no long-lasting benefits (although I don't remember if they measured
    performance, or just VO2max and associated physiological variables).

    Andy Coggan

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I would have thought that there would be gains to be had from training at a higher level (longer &
    harder) then you would normally be able to do (by taking epo etc). Steroids have the same effect for
    a cyclist enabling him to be able to train more often for longer durations at a higher torque,
    Amphetamines have long been in use for very hard long training rides by riders during the winter
    (Although I would have think the side effects would put off most would be cheats). Anything that
    enables you to train/race more often is probably going to give you fitness gains. Im not sure if epo
    would hasten the onset of over training.

    Phil www.turbovids.net