EPO: Are the results permanent?

Discussion in 'Doping in Cycling' started by gntlmn, Jun 26, 2004.

1. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

I heard that long exposure to EPO screws up the bodies regulatory system so that natural EPO isn't produced at normal rates causing a mild anemia.

2. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Hmmm. This makes sense in that the body's regulatory mechanish does get damaged by long term drug use from at least one other drug--steroids. I heard it reduces the amount of natural testosterone which is produced, of course while taking them but also after taking them long term. So I wouldn't be surprised with EPO either.

I suppose those that do this on a regular basis may be shortening their lifespans.

One reason I doubt that Lance is doing EPO is that he is subject to random drug testing on a year round basis. This means that if he did EPO, every 3 weeks he would have a 72 hour window where he could get busted with traces in his blood. That's 3 days out of 24 or 1/8 of the time. If he has been getting tested randomly and regularly all year, every year for several years with EPO in his blood 1/8 of the time, odds are he wouldn't have made it clean even through one year of random drug tests, let alone several.

I don't think most riders are subject to random year round drug testing. If they know when the drug tests will be administered, they can easily cheat by abstaining for 72 hours prior to each test.

We need uniform random drug testing for all pro cyclists, not just some.

3. steve007

steve007 New Member

I think how dangerous it is really depends on the individual and size and frequency of dose.

Even if you didnt know when a test is coming, you of course know when you took a shot.....its not so hard to be unavailable with a good reason.....

4. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

That's not the way drug tests generally work. I was subject to random drug testing for more than 8 years. It was a very effective program. There were no excuses to avoid taking a test when your number was drawn, if you still had a pulse. If you didn't submit, the punishment was the same that it would be if you tested positive. In other words, an excuse is a positive. Given that this was the rule, no one who failed to show would be believed if he said that he was clean. If he were clean, he would have shown up for the testing. That's all there is to it.

I would like to see more publicized about random drug testing for cyclists. If the testing is truly random and effective, it will help the general public gain more trust that riders are really riding clean. I would also like to see the rules which designate who is subject to random testing all year long.

5. steve007

steve007 New Member

It depends where you are when they call.......they cant test you while you are on a flight.....training in the alps..... ;)

6. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I'd like to see the protocol. I want more description. But actually, all it takes is a medical professional on a flight to draw blood and get a urine sample. I don't know how they do this as a practical matter.

Too bad pro cyclists rarely get on this forum. I'd like to hear from them how the testing works.

7. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Long term EPO administration causes the body to reduce production of it's own EPO for at least some period of time. Marco Pantani is said to have suffered effects from EPO (ab)use which contributed to ending his career.

The pros are subjected to random testing, which can take place absolutely anywhere, sometimes literally in the form of a knock on the door in the middle of the night. In the case of LA, there is no pro whose body fluids have been scrutinized to the extent that his have since 1999.

8. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I guess this means they can follow a rider on a plane flight too. I suppose they draw the numbers in advance and then make plans to intercept the rider at the designated time. That's another interesting question. Do the officials collect specimens within a certain period of time after the random numbers are drawn or do they have a lead time of say a few days before they are scheduled to draw samples? The best way as far as security is concerned is to draw immediately, but this doesn't fit a rider's schedule and travel location.

9. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

A proffesional cyclist is required to notify the authorities of every move they make. They have visited lance at 8 in the morning at his house in Texas. Tyler was out in the wilderness and he had to hussle back to get within the three hour limit.

10. steve007

steve007 New Member

yeah ok;)

11. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

This sounds like the random drug testing I had for my non cycling job. If you failed to show, you automatically lose your job for 2 years. It nailed a lot of people.

I wonder who is subject to year round drug testing. I heard that not all pro riders must submit to year round random testing. I wonder how they make that determination.