EPO Curiousity

FrankBattle

May 9, 2005
I cannot be the only one who is wondering what EPO can do. All this talk .. making me want to try it ..

Am I the only one?

*I don't necessarily need the moral judges to respond; simply just wondering out loud. Point is that anything abused can cause damage, but what if it's used correctly .. and not in a racing situation. I know there are lots of folks who like to ride competitively, whether to beat personal "records" or against buddies on lunch/weekend rides .. but do not race. Am I the only curious as to what EPO can do in those situations?*

Alright, say one was curious, where do you get it?

FrankBattle said:
I cannot be the only one who is wondering what EPO can do. All this talk .. making me want to try it ..

Am I the only one?

*I don't necessarily need the moral judges to respond; simply just wondering out loud. Point is that anything abused can cause damage, but what if it's used correctly .. and not in a racing situation. I know there are lots of folks who like to ride competitively, whether to beat personal "records" or against buddies on lunch/weekend rides .. but do not race. Am I the only curious as to what EPO can do in those situations?*

Alright, say one was curious, where do you get it?
I'm sure LOTS folks wonder the same thing. Nowonder the company that makes the stuff is located in Boulder, Co...where SO MANY active people live. Hmm...

Eden said:
A while back someone posted a link to a story from Outside Magazine written by a guy who did experiment (all legally - it is amazing what you can get with a doctors blessing) with performance enhancing drugs to write about the experience. The article is absolutely fascinating so I thought it worth reposting the link.

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

When used in the healthy can be a very dangerous drug which causes stroke and heart attacks from the bblood getting too thick and clots forming. Can also cause a fatal illness, now well documents, aplactic anemia, in which your body develops an immune reaction against EPO, icuding your own EPO therby causing red blood cell production to shut down. Not a good thing.

hombredesubaru said:
When used in the healthy can be a very dangerous drug which causes stroke and heart attacks from the bblood getting too thick and clots forming. Can also cause a fatal illness, now well documents, aplactic anemia, in which your body develops an immune reaction against EPO, icuding your own EPO therby causing red blood cell production to shut down. Not a good thing.
I said the article was interesting, but believe me neither me nor the article advocates using EPO, heck I don't even like to take non prescription medications, much less anything like that. The guy who wrote the article tried a lot of things including HGH, various hormones and steroids and EPO. He was very impressed with the athletic results, but the side effects were very nasty. I said I was suprised about what you could get legally and I still am. I was always under the impression that a doctor could get into trouble for prescribing things unneccesarily, but I guess that only holds true for schedule 1 narcotics.
Read the article - it is definitely does not advocate doping and is really very interesting.

Eden said:
A while back someone posted a link to a story from Outside Magazine written by a guy who did experiment (all legally - it is amazing what you can get with a doctors blessing) with performance enhancing drugs to write about the experience. The article is absolutely fascinating so I thought it worth reposting the link.

Very interesting indeed.

Eden said:
I said the article was interesting, but believe me neither me nor the article advocates using EPO, heck I don't even like to take non prescription medications, much less anything like that. The guy who wrote the article tried a lot of things including HGH, various hormones and steroids and EPO. He was very impressed with the athletic results, but the side effects were very nasty. I said I was suprised about what you could get legally and I still am. I was always under the impression that a doctor could get into trouble for prescribing things unneccesarily, but I guess that only holds true for schedule 1 narcotics.
Read the article - it is definitely does not advocate doping and is really very interesting.
It is indeed. Accounts like that resonate more than folks yelling about not using drugs. Makes you wonder exactly what kind of pressure professionals are under to make them use these drugs [over and over]. Can one compete completely naturally? Or does it simply make sense to have an "all natural" professional body much like in body building, where the distinction is clearly made between just body building and natural bodybuilding?

How about an all natural Tour de France?

Eden said:
Didnt think for a minute you were advocating use of EPO.
Just a word of caution to the guy who asked.
I read the Outside article when it came out and found it NOT a persuasive argument not to dope. I think he said he was stronger, faster, his eyesight improved, old scars vanished, hemorrhoids went away, sex life improved, etc etc.
I dont recall the down sides except some rhoid induced irritability?

And yes, many of these substances are "controlled" meaning the government tracks them like narcotics, but they can choose what to do.
I mean if pediatric endocrinologists prescribe a bunch of HGH for their short patients who are missing GH for one reason or another, that is legit. But how much work would it take to track down all the rx and the docs...probably a lot.

T

mtnbiker371 said:
I'm sure LOTS folks wonder the same thing. Nowonder the company that makes the stuff is located in Boulder, Co...where SO MANY active people live. Hmm...
Who in Boulder makes it? Asking out of curiosity.. :D

Eden said:

When you read that article and the benefits of PEDs you come to realise just how mightly powerful they are. The question you also ask is; assuming that 25% of riders in the pro peleton are users then how on earth is Lance beating these? Is it is really possible to have that much of a natural advantage?

Personally as we age I believe a little dose here and there of HGH would be incredibly beneficial and rather safe. EPO on the other hand, not such a good idea.

azdroptop said:
Personally as we age I believe a little dose here and there of HGH would be incredibly beneficial and rather safe. EPO on the other hand, not such a good idea.

This is the coolest forum. I have wondered about this stuff since I first heard about it. I've read articles about athletes both destroying the competition, and destroying themselves with this stuff. Those of us that have ever lost a race by 2 seconds or been dusted on the road by somebody with a bad attitude think how nice it would be to get that edge for just one race or one ride. Problem with this stuff, and I speak from experience, is that you want to do it again. Then you have to do it to maintain the edge. Then the fun goes out of the sport, or worse you get hooked.
I've riden with people that have used EPO. They report 20% gains in speed within a week or two. Climbing ability the've never seen before.
How do you stop using when your kickin everybodies butt? That's a monkey I wouldn't want.

One thing that I have learned about PEDs and supplements is that they actually benefit the well trained athlete more than the weekend worrior. As an example, if a sedentary person started using EPO he would not start winning the Tour De France. I read that EPO increases your power output at lactate threshold by like 10% or something. So that individual can produce 80 watts for an hour, add 10% and you get 88 watts. Now the average competitve club cyclist can produce about 225 watts for an hour, add 10% and you get 248 watts. Now lets see for a pro, I think it is said that Lance (for example not implying anything) does 500 watts for an hour, plus 10% and you get 550 watts. So you have to weigh the risk with the benefit, the sedentary person only gets 8 watts for taking a risk with his health, the club cyclist gets 22.5 watts and the pro gets 50 watts. So obviously the sedetary individual and the club cyclist would benefit from better/more efficiant training and diet than from EPO. While the pro already has that stuff in line.