EPO: not just cycling

Drug abuse in a sport other than cycling shocker. In actual fact people, its the fundamentalist muppets like many here and in the media generally who are turing me (and many others) off professional cycling. Maybe i'll start following athletics, or tennis, or golf, or american football, or rugby, of baseball, or.

Oh wait.....

trucker39 said:
Drug abuse in a sport other than cycling shocker. In actual fact people, its the fundamentalist muppets like many here and in the media generally who are turing me (and many others) off professional cycling. Maybe i'll start following athletics, or tennis, or golf, or american football, or rugby, of baseball, or.

Oh wait.....
Even Golf if you can believe that. But I just can't understand the need there. I mean you cannot tell me that John Daly is on the Juice...non-alchohol " juice" that is.

thebluetrain said:
It hasnt hit Ice Skating (aka Fairies on Ice) yet.
Well who can tell what Hormone imbalances are "natural" with the male figure skaters, but I'm sure Speed skaters, short and long track, are highly suspect.

Speed skaters are doped like you wouldn't believe. In other words, of course you believe it, they're all on something. Some years ago they did a secret test and nailed a ton of superstars for syringe sucking.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2000/11/19/doping001119.html

And there's this tidbit:

Gundersen, who works for Norway's Olympic committee and conducted the testing, said about 15 per cent of the speed skaters at the two world championships showed EPO use.

tonepad said:
Well who can tell what Hormone imbalances are "natural" with the male figure skaters, but I'm sure Speed skaters, short and long track, are highly suspect.
Well, I don't think they're on testosterone, LOL.

Trajectum said:
Once again. Hands of my winterport! Its a cycling forum here. Hail speedskating, Hail Thialf.
Look at this way. You can post all summer about doping in cycling and all winter about doping in skating :) .

This is the biggest sporting affair ever in Slovenia. She was tested on June 14(negative), June 18 (positive), and June 22 (negative). She might get away with it because of the mistakes in the testing procedure:rolleyes:. Rummor is that both (A and B) tests were tested in the same laboratory.[size=-1][/size]

nns1400 said:
Look at this way. You can post all summer about doping in cycling and all winter about doping in skating :) .
Would be true apart from the fact that we choose to just totally and utterly ignore even the possibility of an athlete doping in speedskating :) Of course we know.. But its more fun this way.

Also professional skating is not as much about the results alone here. ts also about the fans dressing up in orange and acting like total and utter maniacs cheering on the riders. :)

And its fun to do as well though I myself am not a very big fan of indoor skating, I prefer to wait untill the lakes freeze over in the winter and ride all the amateur tours then. The biggest one being the elfstedentocht for which I have finally been eligable to ride and then it wasnt ridden for the last ten years since the winters sucked and it needs a thick pack of ice due to massive contending :(

If its ridden its a total Dutch madhouse with about 15 % of the countries population standing by the track cheering the riders on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht

Also a fun fact from the elfstedentochts history:

Only 1% of the contestants finished in 1963, due to the extremely low temperatures and a harsh eastern wind.

Ultimate heros.. Anyway... <skating mode off>

the last people i will take a lecture from are journalists and the media in general.

all this nonsense about cycling being in crisis and the tour to be stopped is over the top media sensationalism.

if only those journalists applied the same standards to every other pro sport that has drug cheats or fraud or bridery or match fixing then i would take them seriously.

has anyone called for soccer to be abolished after all the bridery of teams and referees in europe and the demotion of top italian teams??

how many american footballers are juiced?? how about baseball........those sluggers look so natural with their gorilla sized bodies.
and lets not talk about athletcs....

there will always be drug cheats in any sport and all the sporting authorities can do is implement rigorous testing procedures and punishment for offenders
so it's just nonsense to start calling for a sport to be suspended.

zap brannigan said:
the last people i will take a lecture from are journalists and the media in general.

all this nonsense about cycling being in crisis and the tour to be stopped is over the top media sensationalism.

if only those journalists applied the same standards to every other pro sport that has drug cheats or fraud or bridery or match fixing then i would take them seriously.

has anyone called for soccer to be abolished after all the bridery of teams and referees in europe and the demotion of top italian teams??

how many american footballers are juiced?? how about baseball........those sluggers look so natural with their gorilla sized bodies.
and lets not talk about athletcs....

there will always be drug cheats in any sport and all the sporting authorities can do is implement rigorous testing procedures and punishment for offenders
so it's just nonsense to start calling for a sport to be suspended.
well said!!!!!!!

totally agree with the above. Going against the grain of the usual output on this forum and trying to be positive, at least cycling is attempting to catch the cheats, and the fact that the big names are tumbling shows it's working.

I have considered the unbelievable efforts the Kenyons make and dominance they have in distant running and the possibility of EPO/Blood doping. They seem to run away from all the competition in the marathons and long distant races. Seems fishy to me. Their only completition is other Kenyons.

zap brannigan said:

if only those journalists applied the same standards...
Why think when you can blame the media.

leerobbs said:
I have considered the unbelievable efforts the Kenyons make and dominance they have in distant running and the possibility of EPO/Blood doping. They seem to run away from all the competition in the marathons and long distant races. Seems fishy to me. Their only completition is other Kenyons.
They have a former cycling doctor. For real.