Epsom to Surbiton

Julian

Guest
Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting to work by train and bike;
a recipe for disaster if ever there was one:) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell
East and Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine a
suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is there
anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

TIA
--
Julian

In message <[email protected]> Julian <[email protected]> wrote:
> one:) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as
> that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to
> Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would
> publish such a route?

Epsom Council have a cycle map on the Web. If you cross the A3 at Tolworth there is a Kingston route
via King Charles Rd (nasty r turn)

Regards Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

"Julian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting to work by train and
> bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was one:) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom,
> Ewell East and Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine
> a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is
> there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?
>
> TIA
> --
> Julian

Well you've hit my local area bang on the head there ;)

The A3 roundabout in Tolworth is nasty if you're on the road, but you could consider getting of and
going down the underpasses and such? From there it's a pretty straight road to Surbiton.

Ewell East is probably the best station to choose out of the three though, (in terms of easy
cycling) or even Cheam (if the train stops there, I'm assuming it's a train that goes through all of
Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East & Epsom). Cheam would probably be even better;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=523997&y=163989&z=3&sv=Cheam&st=3&tl=Cheam,+Greater+London+-
[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

You can go through Nonsuch Park, through Stoneleigh and join up on the Kingston Road (A240 again) -
straight road to Surbiton. Ewell East is also on that map, station in the bottom left square.

Hmm... this probably isn't much help to you at all is it?

There's no really nice cycle routes that I personally know of; however there is a slip road that you
can take to avoid the main road if you wish between Ruxley Lane and Worcester Park Road, then
there's a cycle path pretty much all the way to the Tolworth roundabout.

Hope this was of any use,

Sue

"Julian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting to work by train and
> bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was one:) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom,
> Ewell East and Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine
> a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is
> there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

Well, you won't be parking outside my place ever again! Result! .. Still, I don't need my parking
permit ... so, any offers before I stick it on ebay ;) (It'll need to be well above the £60 basic
charge!)....

If it's a rush hour journey you do, then there should be no problem with traffic around here ...

Nick

Julian wrote:
> Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting to work by train and
> bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was one:) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom,
> Ewell East and Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine
> a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is
> there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?
>
> TIA

You're not going to be able to avoid the A3 roundabouts, but I don't think they are too bad - I
cycled down the A240 at Tolworth this afternoon and you can use the underpass at Tolworth roundabout
and there's a tolerable cycle lane towards Ewell.

I'd recommend the A243 as being a better route to approach Surbiton than the A240, it's smaller
roads although maybe slightly longer. You could cycle from Epsom via Chessington and Hook on mostly
side roads and streets, and Hook roundabout is much smaller than Tolworth, although no underpass.

A friend cycles from Surbiton to Epsom daily and that's the route he uses, roughly.

Now.. should I buy that residents parking permit or not....

Pete

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Julian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to determine a suitable
> cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is there
> anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

Surrey County Council are intent on publishing some maps much like the TfL / LCC ones, with the same
sort of route information on them. Of course, being 'intent on', they're not available yet.

Which probably leads on to the observation that someone there may well be interested in the opinions
of local cyclists about routes in teh vicinity. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue who, but anyone
having strong views might like to try and track down a cycling officer, or transport department, or
whatever they have.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Thanks all, I'll check out your suggestions. As it happens, I never did park in the streets. It's
just that the car park I currently use will almost certainly fill up before the time I can sensibly
get there. I already arrive an hour and half early for work! That's my limit.
--
Julian