Equal Access to Our Parks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, May 20, 2003.

  1. November 24, 1999 Tony Acosta Director, Office of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs 1520
    Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612

    Re: Access to Joaquin Miller Park

    Dear Sir:

    I am very concerned about the arbitrary and discriminatory management of Oakland's parks. I
    like to practice bulldozer racing (also known as "bulldozer scrambling", or BS, for short).
    That is my way of enjoying nature. Who are you to tell me how I should enjoy nature?! Why
    is your way of enjoying the outdoors any better than mine?! ____ ____ You allow roller-bladers,
    equestrians, mountain bikers, and even hikers in your parks. But I am excluded, and can't enjoy
    ________
    the parks that I pay taxes for. You obviously like them better than me, or maybe you belong to one
    of those user groups, so you are biased towards them. In any case, you are discriminating against me
    and other bulldozer racers, and I demand that this discrimination, which violates the Fifth
    Amendment to the Constitution, stop immediately!

    I know that bulldozer racers have a bad name, but that's just because we are the new kid on
    the block. We are a tiny minority. I know that there have been some problems, such as some
    people riding recklessly, going off the designated trails, and even secretly constructing
    illegal trails. But those are a small minority of bulldozer riders. You shouldn't allow a
    small minority to give the majority of us bulldozer racers, who ride responsibly, a bad
    name. Why should we be punished, just because of them, and be forced to walk, just ________
    ____ like everybody else?

    I also know that some extremist tree-huggers claim that it's a violation of CEQA (the
    California Environmental Quality Act) to allow a new use of the park trails, and the
    creation of new trails, without doing an EIR (Environmental Impact Report). But you are
    right: mountain biking and bulldozer racing, when performed in an environmentally
    responsible
    manner, doesn't have a significant impact on the environment.
    ______
    In fact, it's actually beneficial to wildlife. You can tell
    __________
    that, by the fact that you often see deer tracks on the
    mountain biking trails. If the trails didn't benefit them,
    they wouldn't use them, now would they? Bulldozer racing
    doesn't drive out wildlife. That is a myth. I see lots of
    ____
    wildlife where I ride.

    Some people say that we ride too fast to avoid killing small animals on the trail, such as
    snakes -- that we have to pay attention to avoid crashing, and can't also look out for
    wildlife. Are they that slow? What about "survival of the fittest"? If they are that slow,
    they aren't going to survive, anyway.

    Some HOHAs ("Hateful Old Hikers", as the mountain bikers call them) claim that bulldozer
    racing does more harm to the environment than hiking. But a scientific study was done in
    ________________
    New Zealand, proving that bulldozer racing does no more harm
    _______
    than hiking. Another scientific study showed that most erosion
    ________________
    is caused by nature, and so any additional erosion caused by bulldozer racing is not significant, by
    comparison. Would you rather have the park clear-cut, or turned into another gated community for the
    rich? Without the support of strong environmentalists like us, that's what will inevitably happen!
    We are your strongest defense against development. If a park doesn't have a strong constituency of
    recreational users, no
    ____________
    one will care about it, and it will inevitably be lost.
    ____
    (That's what those environmental extremists call "destroying it, in order to save it". But what do
    they know?) The HOHAs
    ____
    claim that vehicles make it too easy for lazy, uncaring people to get into wildlife habitat. But if
    nobody goes there, who will protect the park? The more people go to a park, the
    _________________________________
    better it is for the wildlife!
    ______________________________

    Another claim is that we compact the soil around redwoods, killing them! Can you believe
    that?! In Muir Woods National Monument, they don't even let people walk next to them, making
    ____
    them stick to pavement or raised walkways. They must be run by an environmental extremist
    tree-hugger!

    I know that some HOHAs claim that bulldozer racing is annoying, and destroys their
    experience of nature. I guess they're superior to everybody else. They are just being
    selfish. They just don't want to share "their" trails with anybody else! That's obvious. The
    older ones claim that they have given up going there, because they are afraid of being hit,
    or are tired of constantly having to get off the trail to let bulldozers go by. Isn't that
    just evolution -- survival of the fittest? Why should hikers, or anyone else, have the whole
    park to themselves? We pay taxes, too. We have just as much right to be there as they do. We
    are just as much environmentalists as they are. We love nature! That's why we
    ____
    want to ride there!

    When you have spent as much on your equipment as we have, believe me, it is very
    frustrating, not to have any place to use it! We don't, of course, condone illegal trail
    building. However, we can understand the frustration of people whose only sin is
    preferring a different way of enjoying nature. They think that, because they are able to
    purchase a piece of equipment that lets them go off-road, the public is obligated to give
    them a place to use it. That's understandable -- isn't that the American way? Aren't they
    just like the pioneers?

    We bulldozer racers ("BS-ers") belong in the parks just as much as everybody else. If the
    HOHAs don't want us on their trails, because we allegedly create narrow ruts, and make them
    difficult to walk on, then we deserve to have our own trails,
    ___
    which we will gladly build for free. There is plenty of space for everyone. If the wildlife don't
    like it, they can always move! It's just survival of the fittest. As I said, that's
    ____
    what evolution is all about.

    We will even police our own riders, so that you won't have any additional expenses. After
    all, how would you catch a renegade
    _____
    bulldozer racer? Your rangers would also need to drive bulldozers, increasing the wear and tear
    on the trails. We can do that for you. How about it? There are more and more of us every day.
    And we vote.
    ____

    Sincerely,

    Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more valuable land that is REALLY being
    ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED with smoke coming from South Mexico and Central America.
    Seems to me they are burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable environmentally,
    and the fact that the air is saturated with smoke for a thousand miles doesnt help. Seems like
    mountain bikes are pretty small potatoes compared to this!

> [...]
    > ____
    > what evolution is all about.
    >
    > We will even police our own riders, so that you won't have any additional expenses. After all, how
    > would you catch a renegade
    > _____
    > bulldozer racer? Your rangers would also need to drive bulldozers, increasing the wear and tear
    > on the trails. We can do that for you. How about it? There are more and more of us every day. And
    > we vote.
    > ____
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more valuable land that is REALLY
    > being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED with smoke coming from South Mexico and Central
    > America. Seems to me they are burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable
    > environmentally, and the fact that the air is saturated with smoke for a thousand miles doesnt
    > help. Seems like mountain bikes are pretty small potatoes compared to this!

    It is very sad. I was just in Belize and there are what seems to be hundreds of fires going all over
    the place. The whole country stinks of burning forest. I never realized how good the air smells in
    Virginia until I got back.

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more
    valuable
    > > land that is REALLY being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED
    with
    > > smoke coming from South Mexico and Central America. Seems to me they
    are
    > > burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable environmentally, and the fact
    > > that the air is saturated with smoke for a thousand miles doesnt help. Seems like mountain bikes
    > > are pretty small potatoes compared to this!
    >
    > It is very sad. I was just in Belize and there are what seems to be hundreds of fires going all
    > over the place. The whole country stinks of burning forest. I never realized how good the air
    > smells in Virginia
    until
    > I got back.

    Its crazy that we are feeling the effects here in AUSTIN TX!! Its really hot because of the
    greenhouse effects.. we have had a week of record breaking/tieing heat, elderly and sick have a
    rough time of breathing (not to mention those riders who breath hard like myself). It won't rain
    because the smog prevents it. It looks like a thick brownish fog, that lasts ALL day and wont burn
    off... its disgusting. I'd hate to see whats happening down there!!

  5. Jesus, Mike! Can't you come up with fresh arguments?

  6. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    I have been a pilot for almost 18 years. You should see what Mexico City looks like from the front
    seat in the air. Sort of what LAX used to look like in the eighties before some clean up efforts
    were made....

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more
    > valuable
    > > > land that is REALLY being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED
    > with
    > > > smoke coming from South Mexico and Central America. Seems to me they
    > are
    > > > burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable environmentally, and the fact
    > > > that the air is saturated with smoke for
    > > > thousand miles doesnt help. Seems like mountain bikes are pretty
    small
    > > > potatoes compared to this!
    > >
    > > It is very sad. I was just in Belize and there are what seems to be hundreds of fires going all
    > > over the place. The whole country stinks of burning forest. I never realized how good the air
    > > smells in Virginia
    > until
    > > I got back.
    > >

    > Its crazy that we are feeling the effects here in AUSTIN TX!! Its really
    hot
    > because of the greenhouse effects.. we have had a week of record breaking/tieing heat, elderly and
    > sick have a rough time of breathing (not to mention those riders who breath hard like myself). It
    > won't rain
    because
    > the smog prevents it. It looks like a thick brownish fog, that lasts ALL day and wont burn off...
    > its disgusting. I'd hate to see whats happening down there!!

  7. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    One thing I left out-

    It seems to get worse though...... (MEX)

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been a pilot for almost 18 years. You should see what Mexico City looks like from the front
    > seat in the air. Sort of what LAX used to look like in the eighties before some clean up efforts
    > were made....
    >

    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > valuable
    CHOKED
    > > with
    > > are
    for
    > small
    > > >
    > > > It is very sad. I was just in Belize and there are what seems to be hundreds of fires going
    > > > all over the place. The whole country stinks
    of
    > > > burning forest. I never realized how good the air smells in Virginia
    > > until
    > > > I got back.
    > > >

    > > Its crazy that we are feeling the effects here in AUSTIN TX!! Its really
    > hot
    > > because of the greenhouse effects.. we have had a week of record breaking/tieing heat, elderly
    > > and sick have a rough time of breathing
    (not
    > > to mention those riders who breath hard like myself). It won't rain
    > because
    > > the smog prevents it. It looks like a thick brownish fog, that lasts
    ALL
    > > day and wont burn off... its disgusting. I'd hate to see whats
    happening
    > > down there!!

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:01:26 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.

    As in piled higher and deeper, right?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. On Tue, 20 May 2003 08:34:38 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more valuable .land that is REALLY
    being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED with .smoke coming from South Mexico and Central
    America. Seems to me they are .burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable
    .environmentally, and the fact that the air is saturated with smoke for a .thousand miles doesnt
    help. Seems like mountain bikes are pretty small .potatoes compared to this!

    By your logic, you shouldn't complain about your wife being raped, if she wasn't killed. Are you
    guys really THAT stupid?

    .news:[email protected]... .> November 24, 1999 .> Tony Acosta .> Director,
    day. And we vote. .> ____ .> .> Sincerely, .> .> Michael J. Vandeman, .> Ph.D. .> .> === .> I am

  10. On Tue, 20 May 2003 12:30:02 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Jesus, Mike! Can't you come up with fresh arguments?

    Why? the old ones are still valid, and you guys haven't been able to refute even ONE of them.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  11. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    By your logic, you'd rather have her killed then looked at funny! Doesn't seem to bother you if shes
    dead, so long as your happy little tiny world is preserved. Whats the point of worrying about a
    little thing if theres a MUCH bigger problem elsewhere. Spend your efforts where they can really
    make a difference.

> [...]
    > own riders, so that you won't have any .> additional expenses. After all, how would you catch a
    > renegade .> _____ .> bulldozer racer? Your rangers would also need to drive .> bulldozers,
    > increasing the wear and tear on the trails. We can .> do that for you. How about it? There are
    > more and more of us .> every day. And we vote. .> ____ .> .> Sincerely, .> .> Michael J. Vandeman,
    > .> Ph.D. .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans
    > ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
    > construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

  12. No, the old arguments are as full of shit today as they were when they were still fresh. You are
    pathetic ...

    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 12:30:02 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > .Jesus, Mike! Can't you come up with fresh arguments?
    >
    > Why? the old ones are still valid, and you guys haven't been able to
    refute even
    > ONE of them.
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 08:34:38 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more
    valuable
    > .land that is REALLY being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED
    with
    > .smoke coming from South Mexico and Central America. Seems to me they are .burning their country
    > to ashes. That land is far more valuable .environmentally, and the fact that the air is saturated
    > with smoke for a .thousand miles doesnt help. Seems like mountain bikes are pretty small .potatoes
    > compared to this!
    >
    > By your logic, you shouldn't complain about your wife being raped, if she
    wasn't
    > killed. Are you guys really THAT stupid?

    Wow, what logic!

    Look up stupid in the dictionary and you will find Mike's picture.

    Hawke

  14. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 08:34:38 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Hey Mike, wouldnt it be more prudent to try and conserve the more valuable .land that is REALLY
    > being ravaged? Right now in Austin we are CHOKED with .smoke coming from South Mexico and Central
    > America. Seems to me they are .burning their country to ashes. That land is far more valuable
    > .environmentally, and the fact that the air is saturated with smoke for a .thousand miles doesnt
    > help. Seems like mountain bikes are pretty small .potatoes compared to this!
    >
    > By your logic, you shouldn't complain about your wife being raped, if she wasn't killed. Are you
    > guys really THAT stupid?

    By my logic I'd rather see you raped than my moutain bike trails closed down.