Equal Access to Our Parks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. November 24, 1999
    Tony Acosta
    Director, Office of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs
    1520 Lakeside Drive
    Oakland, CA 94612

    Re: Access to Joaquin Miller Park

    Dear Sir:

    I am very concerned about the arbitrary and discriminatory management of
    Oakland's parks. I like to practice bulldozer racing (also known as "bulldozer
    scrambling", or BS, for short). That is my way of enjoying nature. Who are you
    to tell me how I should enjoy nature?! Why is your way of enjoying the outdoors
    any better than mine?! You allow roller-bladers, equestrians, mountain bikers,
    and even hikers in your parks. But I am excluded, and can't enjoy the parks that
    I pay taxes for. You obviously like them better than me, or maybe you belong to
    one of those user groups, so you are biased towards them. In any case, you are
    discriminating against me and other bulldozer racers, and I demand that this
    discrimination, which violates the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution, stop
    immediately!

    I know that bulldozer racers have a bad name, but that's just because we
    are the new kid on the block. We are a tiny minority. I know that there have
    been some problems, such as some people riding recklessly, going off the
    designated trails, and even secretly constructing illegal trails. But those are
    a small minority of bulldozer riders. You shouldn't allow a small minority to
    give the majority of us bulldozer racers, who ride responsibly, a bad name. Why
    should we be punished, just because of them, and be forced to walk, just like
    everybody else?

    I also know that some extremist tree-huggers claim that it's a violation
    of CEQA (the California Environmental Quality Act) to allow a new use of the
    park trails, and the creation of new trails, without doing an EIR (Environmental
    Impact Report). But you are right: mountain biking and bulldozer racing, when
    performed in an environmentally responsible manner, doesn't have a significant
    impact on the environment. In fact, it's actually beneficial to wildlife. You
    can tell that, by the fact that you often see deer tracks on the mountain biking
    trails. If the trails didn't benefit them, they wouldn't use them, now would
    they? Bulldozer racing doesn't drive out wildlife. That is a myth. I see lots of
    wildlife where I ride.

    Some people say that we ride too fast to avoid killing small animals on
    the trail, such as snakes -- that we have to pay attention to avoid crashing,
    and can't also look out for wildlife. Are they that slow? What about "survival
    of the fittest"? If they are that slow, they aren't going to survive, anyway.

    Some HOHAs ("Hateful Old Hikers", as the mountain bikers call them)
    claim that bulldozer racing does more harm to the environment than hiking. But a
    scientific study was done in New Zealand, proving that bulldozer racing does no
    more harm than hiking. Another scientific study showed that most erosion is
    caused by nature, and so any additional erosion caused by bulldozer racing is
    not significant, by comparison. Would you rather have the park clear-cut, or
    turned into another gated community for the rich? Without the support of strong
    environmentalists like us, that's what will inevitably happen! We are your
    strongest defense against development. If a park doesn't have a strong
    constituency of recreational users, no one will care about it, and it will
    inevitably be lost. (That's what those environmental extremists call "destroying
    it, in order to save it". But what do they know?) The HOHAs claim that vehicles
    make it too easy for lazy, uncaring people to get into wildlife habitat. But if
    nobody goes there, who will protect the park? The more people go to a park, the
    better it is for the wildlife!

    Another claim is that we compact the soil around redwoods, killing them! Can you
    believe that?! In Muir Woods National Monument, they don't even let people walk
    next to them, making them stick to pavement or raised walkways. They must be run
    by an environmental extremist tree-hugger!

    I know that some HOHAs claim that bulldozer racing is annoying, and
    destroys their experience of nature. I guess they're superior to everybody else.
    They are just being selfish. They just don't want to share "their" trails with
    anybody else! That's obvious. The older ones claim that they have given up going
    there, because they are afraid of being hit, or are tired of constantly having
    to get off the trail to let bulldozers go by. Isn't that just evolution --
    survival of the fittest? Why should hikers, or anyone else, have the whole park
    to themselves? We pay taxes, too. We have just as much right to be there as they
    do. We are just as much environmentalists as they are. We love nature! That's
    why we want to ride there!

    When you have spent as much on your equipment as we have, believe me, it is very
    frustrating, not to have any place to use it! We don't, of course, condone
    illegal trail building. However, we can understand the frustration of people
    whose only sin is preferring a different way of enjoying nature. They think
    that, because they are able to purchase a piece of equipment that lets them go
    off-road, the public is obligated to give them a place to use it. That's
    understandable -- isn't that the American way? Aren't they just like the
    pioneers?

    We bulldozer racers ("BS-ers") belong in the parks just as much as everybody
    else. If the HOHAs don't want us on their trails, because we allegedly create
    narrow ruts, and make them difficult to walk on, then we deserve to have our own
    trails, which we will gladly build for free. There is plenty of space for
    everyone. If the wildlife don't like it, they can always move! It's just
    survival of the fittest. As I said, that's what evolution is all about.

    We will even police our own riders, so that you won't have any additional
    expenses. After all, how would you catch a renegade bulldozer racer? Your
    rangers would also need to drive bulldozers, increasing the wear and tear on the
    trails. We can do that for you. How about it? There are more and more of us
    every day. And we vote.

    Sincerely,

    Michael J. Vandeman,
    Ph.D.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. di

    di Guest

    > November 24, 1999
    > Tony Acosta
    > Director, Office of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs
    > 1520 Lakeside Drive
    > Oakland, CA 94612
    >
    > Re: Access to Joaquin Miller Park
    >
    > Dear Sir:
    >
    > I am very concerned about the arbitrary and discriminatory management of
    > Oakland's parks. I like to practice bulldozer racing (also known as
    > "bulldozer
    > scrambling", or BS, for short). That is my way of enjoying nature. Who are
    > you
    > to tell me how I should enjoy nature?! Why is your way of enjoying the
    > outdoors
    > any better than mine?! You allow roller-bladers, equestrians, mountain
    > bikers,
    > and even hikers in your parks. But I am excluded, and can't enjoy the
    > parks that
    > I pay taxes for. You obviously like them better than me, or maybe you
    > belong to
    > one of those user groups, so you are biased towards them. In any case, you
    > are
    > discriminating against me and other bulldozer racers, and I demand that
    > this
    > discrimination, which violates the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution,
    > stop
    > immediately!

    You are really are nuts aren't you, how do you truly expect to get any
    support for your cause with crap like this?

  3. Eugene Miya

    Eugene Miya Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Director, Office of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs
    >Re: Access to Joaquin Miller Park
    > I am very concerned about the arbitrary and discriminatory management of
    >Oakland's parks. I like to practice bulldozer racing (also known as "bulldozer
    >scrambling", or BS, for short). That is my way of enjoying nature. Who are you
    >to tell me how I should enjoy nature?! Why is your way of enjoying the outdoors
    >any better than mine?! You allow roller-bladers, equestrians, mountain bikers,
    >and even hikers in your parks. But I am excluded, and can't enjoy the parks that

    > Sincerely,
    > Michael J. Vandeman,

    Jonathan Swift, Mike ain't.

    Irony and sarcasm don't work well on bureaucies unfortunately.
    Didn't help Swift, either.

    You should have selected the bulldozer groups.
    It would have sounded more credible.
    --

  4. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:00:05 -0600, "di" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..
    .."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ..news:[email protected]
    ..> November 24, 1999
    ..> Tony Acosta
    ..> Director, Office of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs
    ..> 1520 Lakeside Drive
    ..> Oakland, CA 94612
    ..>
[...]

    Your humor detector broken? Forgot to turn it on?
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande