Equalizing leg strength?

bmhosey

Jul 31, 2003
My left leg is obviously weaker than my right. I had a hip problem as a youngster and allways compensated by using my right leg more... its now a touch bigger and definately stronger.

One thought for a goal this winter is to try to strengthen the left leg and get it close to the other in strength. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Do I weight train just the left? spin with just the left?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bmhosey said:
My left leg is obviously weaker than my right. I had a hip problem as a youngster and allways compensated by using my right leg more... its now a touch bigger and definately stronger.

One thought for a goal this winter is to try to strengthen the left leg and get it close to the other in strength. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Do I weight train just the left? spin with just the left?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I've had a similar incident where a compound fracture at 6 years of age and a torn ligament at 17 (same leg) has make my right weaker than my left. Still to this day (am 47 now) it's still true, but I do try to minimize the issue when riding my rollers. Much easier to concentrate when on the rollers to force my right to work harder. Not sure how much it helps but at least it helps give me one more thing to do while riding the rollers *smile*.

jimone said:
try 1 footed pedaling as it worked for me:)

Do you have a specific suggestion/regiment for this or do you just go out and ride one leg at a time?

i.e. alternate for 5 minutes each... etc

bmhosey said:
Do you have a specific suggestion/regiment for this or do you just go out and ride one leg at a time?

i.e. alternate for 5 minutes each... etc
Isolated leg drills are a great way to balance out the power between your legs. These are better performed indoors on rollers or a trainer, as your bike control is limited.
You'll find these are fairly difficult; start with low resistance and work on making your stroke as smooth as possible; later, increase the resistance and try to increase the power at which your weak leg can work.
One of the drawbacks to these drills is that it is hard to maintain a similar cadence that you would use while pedaling with both legs; that's ok, for both scenarios, do the best you can to keep the cadence above 70rpm (the main point of the first, lower resistance drills).
Remember, the overall goal is to become more balanced, so if you are going to focus on that, you need to keep your overall training load very modest for your strong leg. If your overall training load is already high (ie: at a level that challenges your strong leg), and then you beat up on the weaker leg as well, you'll just burn that sucker out.
Start with 1min efforts on your weak leg mixed into normal pedalling; very low resistance; 4-6 efforts, 3x/week.
Over 4-6 weeks, work up to a specific set of challenging efforts - eg: 3min IL x 3min normal pedaling, 4 times, at a very challenging effort (don't use HR, just hold that core still and work hard).
It takes time to balance out a weakness that have been with us for a long time. Be patient and consistent, you'll see results!

Smartt/RST said:
Be patient and consistent, you'll see results!

Ah, that sounds like good advice. Sure doesn't sound like it will make things worse :) The thing that I'm particularly excited about is a Fall/Winter goal. I was lacking a bit of motivation at the moment and am now looking forward to making some progress in this area.

Thanks!

Lazy leg drills do wonders to chew up time on the indoor trainer too. Have fun! :)