Equipment For Bicycle Commuting

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
Hi!

I'm an older person interested in commuting to work. I've done this in the past: most recent commute was a few years ago and back then I did not do it as regularly as some folks do. My route to work is only about 5 miles one way. I usually have to leave in darkness or very dim morning light. About 3 miles of the commute are on pretty busy roads and one mile of the "busy" route is actually heavy traffic with extremely aggressive, impatient motor vehicle drivers.

What equipment do I need for such a ride? I'm real interested in suggestions for gloves and helmets and daytime visibility lights.

Thanks a lot!

Bob

Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

I spoke to a very committed cyclist at the office and he suggested I go to my local REI and get what I fancy there. He did point me to higher end Bell and Giro helmets. I had thought technology changes rapidly in a few short years, but I guess not.

Thanks a lot

Bob

If you are riding in the dark I would suggest reflective clothing. I have a friend that wear reflective gear all the time. He even has it on his back pack. A little overkill if you ask me, but he is looking after himself. There is no price you can put on your health and safety.

Reactions: BobCochran
Thank you, joshposh! I do agree with you. I have a reflective cycling jacket downstairs and will look into additional reflective clothing items.

Bob

You can't just go get a helmet someone recommended unless it fits, neither of the helmet manufactures mentioned by the previous poster will fit my oblong head so I had to go with Lazer. The point is you have to get a helmet that fits.

DO NOT RELY ON reflective stuff, use it yes, but rely on active lighting much more.

Nowadays with LED lighting dropping in price like flies, this light is a good deal: http://www.amazon.com/Brightest-Bike-Light-Amazon-Installation/dp/B00KQSVRF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431831810&sr=8-1&keywords=best+bicycle+lights Even if it only lasts 3 to 4 years it would be cheaper to buy a new light then major brand rechargeable battery packs. However expect the actual lumens to be closer to 800 which is plenty bright. And do not use that crappy free tail light that comes with that light, it's all but useless. Go with this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotshot-2-Watt-Rechargeable-Taillight/dp/B005DVA57Y/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1431831967&sr=8-13&keywords=best+bicycle+tail+lights

Other gear you need is a rain jacket and helmet cover just in case you get stuck in the rain; tools and spare tube plus patch kit to fix flats, a mini tool for minor repairs, make sure you have rugged tires that can hold up against punctures, and make sure you leave 15 minutes from your house early to allow for a flat repair. You don't want to be late for work or else you could be asked to either use your car or to leave the company.