Equipment Report: Weyless MG-1 pedals

Monique Y. Herman said...

> Eek! Don't scare me like that!!
>
> Thus far, my only nicks have been to my calf, and I don't think shin guards will help with that,
> unless I wear them backwards ...
>
> But geez ... what was he doing when he managed to get smacked like that? Seems like a non-zero
> number of posters here have used flat pedals for a while without mentioning such injuries .... did
> they just not want to scare me off, or are they not using spikey things?

I gave you a detailed warning. I just think platforms are the lesser of two evils as far as injuries
go. Flats give you scrapes, clipless give you falls.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:55:28 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> penned:
> Monique Y. Herman said...
>
>> I asked about lubing the pedals before we got started, and Eric claimed that they were pre-lubed
>> or something and didn't need help.
>>
>> Perhaps I'll suggest it to him again after this fiasco and see what he says.
>
> He means lubing the threads where the pedals screw into the crank arms.

Pardon my imprecise terminology. I meant lubing the threads as you describe.

I mentioned this to Eric this morning, and he told me the original pedals were simply on too tight,
but that they had plenty of lube. As he's pretty much my mechanic, I'm going to trust him on this. I
didn't investigate too closely -- if he's wrong, it will in all likelihood be his problem to deal
with, anyway.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

> I mentioned this to Eric this morning, and he told me the original pedals were simply on too
> tight, but that they had plenty of lube. As he's pretty much my mechanic, I'm going to trust him
> on this. I didn't investigate too closely -- if he's wrong, it will in all likelihood be his
> problem to deal with, anyway.

Don't be foolish. Ask any experienced mechanic and he will tell you that pedal threads need to be
greased. Get some good quality grease (Such as Finish Line Synthetic) and save yourself a headache.

Also a good to grease your headset, seatpost, or any other bolt on your bike with it.

-John Morgan

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:06:18 -0400, Michael Dart <[email protected]>
penned:

> <snip>
> >
> > You may want to invest in a pair of shin guards. A friend of mine was showing off in the parking
> > lot after a DH race and severely 'bear
trapped'
> > himself. He basically unzipped his shin from just below his knee to the
top
> > of his ankle to the bone in a couple of places. It took something like
20
> > stitches to close it up. I drew first blood on my friends brand new
trials
> > bike( true bear traps with two rows of sharp teeth, not pins.) and have
> > small boney lump just below my right knee as a reminder, every time I
kneel
> > down.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Eek! Don't scare me like that!!
>
> Thus far, my only nicks have been to my calf, and I don't think shin guards will help with that,
> unless I wear them backwards ...
>
> But geez ... what was he doing when he managed to get smacked like that? Seems like a non-zero
> number of posters here have used flat pedals for a while without mentioning such injuries .... did
> they just not want to scare me off, or are they not using spikey things?

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. In retrospect (at this age I see more clearly that way!) it was an
extreme example. He was attempting a wheelie in the parking lot after a race and his foot slipped
and the bike came down dragging the pedal all the way down his shin.

I guess I was just telling you to be careful with them.

Mike

Monique Y. Herman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:06:18 -0400, Michael Dart <[email protected]>
penned:

> <snip>
> >
> > You may want to invest in a pair of shin guards. A friend of mine was showing off in the parking
> > lot after a DH race and severely 'bear
trapped'
> > himself. He basically unzipped his shin from just below his knee to the
top
> > of his ankle to the bone in a couple of places. It took something like
20
> > stitches to close it up. I drew first blood on my friends brand new
trials
> > bike( true bear traps with two rows of sharp teeth, not pins.) and have
> > small boney lump just below my right knee as a reminder, every time I
kneel
> > down.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Eek! Don't scare me like that!!
>
> Thus far, my only nicks have been to my calf, and I don't think shin guards will help with that,
> unless I wear them backwards ...
>
> But geez ... what was he doing when he managed to get smacked like that? Seems like a non-zero
> number of posters here have used flat pedals for a while without mentioning such injuries .... did
> they just not want to scare me off, or are they not using spikey things?

I got flat pedals with spikes, and before that, had some with sharp and jagged cages. I'm always
cutting myself, mainly on the shins. I don't mention it much, because I hardly even notice, and
don't care at all. My shins are _all_ scar tissue, I'm sure.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:51:24 +0100, Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> penned:

> I got flat pedals with spikes, and before that, had some with sharp and jagged cages. I'm always
> cutting myself, mainly on the shins. I don't mention it much, because I hardly even notice, and
> don't care at all. My shins are _all_ scar tissue, I'm sure.
>
> ',;~}~

A little bit of blood doesn't bother me one whit ... tearing off half my shin might, though.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

Monique Y. Herman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:51:24 +0100, Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]>
penned:

> > I got flat pedals with spikes, and before that, had some with sharp and jagged cages. I'm always
> > cutting myself, mainly on the shins. I don't mention it much, because I hardly even notice, and
> > don't care at all. My shins are _all_ scar tissue, I'm sure.
> >
> > ',;~}~
> >

> A little bit of blood doesn't bother me one whit ... tearing off half my shin might, though.

Well, I only have one big (sorta) shin scar, about 3" x 3/4 wide, inside of my right leg, just above
the ankle bone, but I did that with a chain ring.

Shaun aRe - Not a patch on the o8 or so inch long scar down the outside of my left thigh, though.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:02:46 +0100, Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> penned:

> Well, I only have one big (sorta) shin scar, about 3" x 3/4 wide, inside of my right leg, just
> above the ankle bone, but I did that with a chain ring.
>
> Shaun aRe - Not a patch on the o8 or so inch long scar down the outside of my left thigh, though.

Hrmm ... pretty sure that pedals didn't cause that ...?

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

Monique Y. Herman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:02:46 +0100, Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]>
penned:

> > Well, I only have one big (sorta) shin scar, about 3" x 3/4 wide, inside
of
> > my right leg, just above the ankle bone, but I did that with a chain
ring.

> > Shaun aRe - Not a patch on the o8 or so inch long scar down the outside
of
> > my left thigh, though.
> >

> Hrmm ... pretty sure that pedals didn't cause that ...?

That shoulda read '_18_ or so inch long', BTW, not 'o8' - it starts at my hip bone/joint, and runs
all the way down to the knee - it's loooovely! ',;~}~

It was a motorbike (small - 100cc) accident (only going 25 mph too) a few years ago where I
shattered 3" of my left femur (total crumbs!) - they had to cut me from hip to knee to get all the
bits out, and to drive a titanium tube down the middle of the bone to hold it in place while it grew
over the gap. Best time of my life that was! Heheheheheh! ',;~}~

I did a 60 mile canal tow-path ride less than 6 months after the accident - determination is a
damned fine healer.

Shaun aRe - I've told the whole story here a few times before, if you are interested in details it's
in the archives!

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:49:49 +0100, Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> penned:

> That shoulda read '_18_ or so inch long', BTW, not 'o8' - it starts at my hip bone/joint, and runs
> all the way down to the knee - it's loooovely! ',;~}~
>
> It was a motorbike (small - 100cc) accident (only going 25 mph too) a few years ago where I
> shattered 3" of my left femur (total crumbs!) - they had to cut me from hip to knee to get all the
> bits out, and to drive a titanium tube down the middle of the bone to hold it in place while it
> grew over the gap. Best time of my life that was! Heheheheheh! ',;~}~
>
> I did a 60 mile canal tow-path ride less than 6 months after the accident - determination is a
> damned fine healer.
>

> Shaun aRe - I've told the whole story here a few times before, if you are interested in details
> it's in the archives!

Ack! My dad has a similar arrangement in his shin ... one ankle is considerably smaller than the
other, and he has a nice scar. Once when I was a teenager, he had the thing x-rayed for some reason,
and I begged him to let me have the neato pics that showed the pins quite clearly as a wall
decoration ... but he refused! How unreasonable is that!

IIRC his was from getting run over, though ...

Teenagers. Tsk!