Equipment, Training and Racing...question.

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
For the last year about I have an R3 Cervelo and for some reason I find it tougher to control than my Lemond Poprad. Now for the last couple months as I have been getting heavier into training I find it even more difficult at times.

My main issue is that the R3 is very reactive to any movement in my body especially when my coach got me a set of Ritchey aero wheels. I find in cornering and in decents more confident and more control with my poprad. The poprad seems steadier and does not require the amount of steadiness. What I mean by steadiness is that when I go into a turn or descent I always need to real drop low and keep my hands very tight on the handlebars. Since I sometimes squirm or move a little the bike reacts quickly and makes me feel uncomfortable.

While heavier can I perform better on the heavier less aero bike? Also should a newbie be with that type of bike first when starting training?

I am sorry of the question is not completely understandable or may seem kind of silly but I really notice it. Even today when putting my old wheels on the cervelo to come to work I feel so much more confident in the corners.

-Js

My short answer predicts that your "problem" with the Cervelo lies in its quicker or racier geometries. I don't know and you should investigate it, but I can only presume that the Cervelo has steeper seat and head tube angles which could cause the feeling of "twitchiness" you describe. Check it out...If geometries are similar, then I speculate your riding position on the two bikes differs in some way, shape, or form. I imagine your coach can check this for you...

Hope you resolve your issue. If not, I'll take the Cervelo off your hands...:D

I think it really comes down to the quality of the pavement on the road...in the areas where it is full of potholes and bumps, the areowheels are not forgiving at all while the wheelset that came with the bike is very forgiving. When I go into the drops of either set they both ofcourse handle much better but the aerowheels on these type of roads require me to hold a bit tighter to get the same feeling of smoothness especially bumpy roads when cornering.

I will keep your offer in mind, NOT, I am a newbie not a fool...

-Js

tonyzackery said:
My short answer predicts that your "problem" with the Cervelo lies in its quicker or racier geometries. I don't know and you should investigate it, but I can only presume that the Cervelo has steeper seat and head tube angles which could cause the feeling of "twitchiness" you describe. Check it out...If geometries are similar, then I speculate your riding position on the two bikes differs in some way, shape, or form. I imagine your coach can check this for you...

Hope you resolve your issue. If not, I'll take the Cervelo off your hands...:D

I'm glad you came up with a sound, reasonable, and logical answer to your initial question.

I time trial on a Cervelo P3-SL, but train on a Cannondale road bike. The Cervelo is definitely much "twitchier" than the Cannondale. Because of this, I find it especially challenging to get up out of the saddle during the start of a time trial. But this is to be expected on equipment built for speed. Think of racing canoes, skis, sailboats, cars, etc. - something is always sacrificed for speed, and it's invariably stability.

Sounds like the Cervelo is simply more responsive, perhaps too much for your taste. I've never ridden one so I don't know for myself how it compares to other bikes. I am familiar with the Poprad and the geometry is very relaxed. Long chainstays, etc.

I believe it is just going to take putting more time in on it but I believe for many of the roads around here than I wil use the wheels that came with it and use the aero wheels only for races depending on the conditions.

Animator said:
Sounds like the Cervelo is simply more responsive, perhaps too much for your taste. I've never ridden one so I don't know for myself how it compares to other bikes. I am familiar with the Poprad and the geometry is very relaxed. Long chainstays, etc.