Equipment used by TdF teams

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    OK, everyone knows that US Postal ride Trek, T-Mobile ride Giant and
    Saeco ride Cannondale. But is there a website anywhere which analyses
    what frames, and more interestingly what groupsets and other equipment,
    are used by the different teams?

    I see T-Mobile were using Shimano. But watching the television coverage
    I didn't see many bikes with the characteristic lateral cables of
    Shimano shifters. Were most teams on Campag and if so why?

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

    Tags:

  2. moet

    moet New Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
  3. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Famously USPS use Shimano, Lance Armstrong was the first rider to win the Tour using a Shimano groupset. At that level of the sport all equipment performs equally as well so its nothing to do with Campag. being better than Shimano IMHO. A team is contracted to use a particular brand, and since this is a business my guess is that Campag. are offering better deals - more free kit, better support etc. etc. The return for the manufacturer is of course more sales (which is the raison d'etre for Le Tour) of parts to amateurs and since Campag. are not in the low end mass market like Shimano they focus on mid to top end using pros. as their marketing vehicle. Their target audience is the cycling enthusiast.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I didn't see many bikes with the characteristic lateral cables of
    : Shimano shifters. Were most teams on Campag and if so why?

    See cyclingnews.com for some pictures of the way Eric Zabel's bike
    has the (shimano) cables tucked under the bars

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > OK, everyone knows that US Postal ride Trek, T-Mobile ride Giant and
    > Saeco ride Cannondale. But is there a website anywhere which analyses
    > what frames, and more interestingly what groupsets and other
    > equipment, are used by the different teams?
    >
    > I see T-Mobile were using Shimano. But watching the television
    > coverage I didn't see many bikes with the characteristic lateral
    > cables of Shimano shifters. Were most teams on Campag and if so why?

    Teams use what they're given. Interestingly, Erik Zabel had his DA cables
    routed back under his handlebar tape using Nokon outers. Perhaps he couldn't
    get used to not having his ergos (Telekom were using Campag until this
    year). Some say he is getting his bike ready to accept a bar bag:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13-1

    Campagnolo obsessives here:

    http://www.campyonly.com/shorts/2004/tour_leaders.html

    Strangely, it tails off towards the end...

  6. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    And don't forget that Lance Armstrong uses only one STi shifter on some of his bikes, the front mech is actuated by means of a downtube lever. Still Shimano just not total integration.

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke Wrote:
    >> OK, everyone knows that US Postal ride Trek, T-Mobile ride Giant and
    >> Saeco ride Cannondale. But is there a website anywhere which analyses
    >> what frames, and more interestingly what groupsets and other
    >> equipment,
    >> are used by the different teams?
    >>
    >> I see T-Mobile were using Shimano. But watching the television
    >> coverage
    >> I didn't see many bikes with the characteristic lateral cables of
    >> Shimano shifters. Were most teams on Campag and if so why?

    > And don't forget that Lance Armstrong uses only one STi shifter on
    > some of his bikes, the front mech is actuated by means of a downtube
    > lever. Still Shimano just not total integration.

    That makes sense. On my Mantra I use Shimano XT mechs with SRAM
    gripshifts.. because with STI you can't trim the front deraileur.

    Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
    Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
    murther
    -- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

  8. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke Wrote:
    >>> OK, everyone knows that US Postal ride Trek, T-Mobile ride Giant and
    >>> Saeco ride Cannondale. But is there a website anywhere which
    >>> analyses what frames, and more interestingly what groupsets and
    >>> other equipment,
    >>> are used by the different teams?
    >>>
    >>> I see T-Mobile were using Shimano. But watching the television
    >>> coverage
    >>> I didn't see many bikes with the characteristic lateral cables of
    >>> Shimano shifters. Were most teams on Campag and if so why?

    >> And don't forget that Lance Armstrong uses only one STi shifter on
    >> some of his bikes, the front mech is actuated by means of a downtube
    >> lever. Still Shimano just not total integration.

    > That makes sense. On my Mantra I use Shimano XT mechs with SRAM
    > gripshifts.. because with STI you can't trim the front deraileur.

    With a double the problem is not so bad, certainly with Ultegra STI a small
    amount of trim is available in the to large ring direction, I think this is
    a bi-product of using a triple lever with a double set up. My triple system
    works reasonably with a Dura Ace front mech though chaining to the smaller
    ring is not perfect. It may be due to the middle ring being built for acting
    as an inner double i.e. not pinned and ramped. I have been thinking about
    switching to a dt lever but so far I am not so tired of the problem !

  9. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Martin 'MSeries' Newstead [email protected] opined the
    following...
    > With a double the problem is not so bad, certainly with Ultegra STI a small
    > amount of trim is available in the to large ring direction, I think this is
    > a bi-product of using a triple lever with a double set up. My triple system
    > works reasonably with a Dura Ace front mech though chaining to the smaller
    > ring is not perfect. It may be due to the middle ring being built for acting
    > as an inner double i.e. not pinned and ramped. I have been thinking about
    > switching to a dt lever but so far I am not so tired of the problem !

    When shopping for bikes I played with a Campag Ergo system. The shifters
    were essentially nine-speed front and back. I've been told that there
    are "big" clicks and trims with it, but it felt like nine distinct
    positions. I'm sure that with practise this system would be brilliant
    but I didn't have time to find out and fundamentally I'm used to my
    Shimano gubbins. As Simon will testify, Shimano haven't quite got the
    triple changer sorted as well as the double though. I'd really like to
    have friction control for the front, but don't fancy adding a bar-end
    lever into the equation and Giant (In their wisdom) don't have bosses
    for down-tube levers, or even for barrel adjusters on the frame so any
    adjustment would have to be done with one of the nasty cable-mount
    tension adjusters (Jag-Wire?).

    Jon

  10. Jon Senior wrote:
    > Martin 'MSeries' Newstead [email protected] opined the
    > following...
    >> With a double the problem is not so bad, certainly with Ultegra STI
    >> a small amount of trim is available in the to large ring direction,
    >> I think this is a bi-product of using a triple lever with a double
    >> set up. My triple system works reasonably with a Dura Ace front mech
    >> though chaining to the smaller ring is not perfect. It may be due to
    >> the middle ring being built for acting as an inner double i.e. not
    >> pinned and ramped. I have been thinking about switching to a dt
    >> lever but so far I am not so tired of the problem !

    > When shopping for bikes I played with a Campag Ergo system. The
    > shifters
    > were essentially nine-speed front and back. I've been told that there
    > are "big" clicks and trims with it, but it felt like nine distinct
    > positions. I'm sure that with practise this system would be brilliant
    > but I didn't have time to find out and fundamentally I'm used to my
    > Shimano gubbins. As Simon will testify, Shimano haven't quite got the
    > triple changer sorted as well as the double though. I'd really like to
    > have friction control for the front, but don't fancy adding a bar-end
    > lever into the equation and Giant (In their wisdom) don't have bosses
    > for down-tube levers, or even for barrel adjusters on the frame so any
    > adjustment would have to be done with one of the nasty cable-mount
    > tension adjusters (Jag-Wire?).
    >
    > Jon

    With your frame building skills Jon, whynot fit a boss yourself ? ! As I
    said my triple is not perfect, I do have bosses where the adjusters sit and
    I presume they are the same fitting as for levers. I have a spare Dura Ace
    left hand lever too, I actually have another set of 9 speed DA levers spare
    too, waiting to go on #2RI. So where does you outer cable end ? at a little
    eyelet at the head end of the dt ? Saw a bike like this recently, looked
    nasty !

  11. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Martin 'MSeries' Newstead [email protected] opined the
    following...
    > With your frame building skills Jon, whynot fit a boss yourself ?

    ARGH!!!! I can't begin to imagine the damage that I could do to a
    lightweight Alu frame with my 1.6mm stick welding rods! ;-)

    > ! As I
    > said my triple is not perfect, I do have bosses where the adjusters sit and
    > I presume they are the same fitting as for levers. I have a spare Dura Ace
    > left hand lever too, I actually have another set of 9 speed DA levers spare
    > too, waiting to go on #2RI. So where does you outer cable end ? at a little
    > eyelet at the head end of the dt ? Saw a bike like this recently, looked
    > nasty !

    That's exactly what it's like. It comes with in-line barrel adjusters
    made by Jagwire. They also do a model which fits directly into the cable
    exit on Shimano gear and might be a little more sturdy. The problem with
    the ones I have is that they require a good friction fit at one end and
    a smooth rotation at the other otherwise you can only adjust the tension
    when there is none in the cable already (ie. when in the small ring!).

    I've seen other frames (Dawes Giro) with tapped bosses that you fit
    screw a barrel adjuster into which seems a better solution. The ones I
    have are fine until you strip the bike to clean it and replace the
    cables.

    Jon

  12. feckless

    feckless New Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2003
    Here's the list ...

    USPS, US, Trek, Shimano
    T-Mobile, Ger, Giant, Shimano
    Phonak, Switz, BMC, Campag
    Euskaltel, Sp, Orbea, Shimano
    Fassa Bortolo, It, Pinarello, Campag
    Credit Agricole, Fr, Look, Shimano
    CSC, Den, Cervélo, Shimano
    Balears-Banesto, Sp, Opera, Campag
    Gerolsteiner, Ger, Wilier, Shimano
    Cofidis, Fr, Decathlon, Campag
    Quickstep, Bel, Time, Campag
    Liberty Seguros, Sp, BH, Campag
    Brioches la Boulangere, Fr, Time, Campag
    Alessio-Bianchi, It, Bianchi, Campag
    Ag2r, Fr, Decathlon, Campag
    Rabobank, NL, Colnago, Shimano
    FDJeux.com, Fr, Lapierre, Shimano
    Saeco, It, Connondale, Campag
    Lotto-Domo, Bel, Merckx, Campag
    Domina Vacanze, It, Specialized, Shimano
    RAGT Semences, Fr, Look, Shimano

    Ten to Shimano, eleven to Campg.

    Have no idea what it proves though.