Equipment...

Leaf

May 16, 2006
I didnt know where to put this... so ill put it here. If a mod can move to a more appropriate location that would be great.

Im taking up cycling, I got a bike etc... but I want a jersey and cycling pants... do the sizes correspond with clothes sizing or what? I am a large T-Shift... does that mean I should order a large cycling jersey?

And whats a good site to purchase cycling equipment?

Thanks for the help, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Leaf said:
I didnt know where to put this... so ill put it here. If a mod can move to a more appropriate location that would be great.

Im taking up cycling, I got a bike etc... but I want a jersey and cycling pants... do the sizes correspond with clothes sizing or what? I am a large T-Shift... does that mean I should order a large cycling jersey?

And whats a good site to purchase cycling equipment?

Thanks for the help, I look forward to getting to know you all!

You should go to a shop and try them, especially the shorts. By getting them online you will only end up wasting time and money.

Hi Leaf

As Frenk says it's probably best to go to a shop and try them on. I've found that there are even size differences between brands; one makers large is not necessarily the same as another makers. I've actually bought a number of clothes online but did find once or twice that the item was either too big or too small.
Also, where are you located? I could recommend some good sites but they might not be as convenient to you as they are to me.

dougadam said:
I like performance.com
Even with the Performance house brands, there is tremendous variability in sizing. I have a Performance full zip jersey size XL that is skin tight, and a half-zip jersey size XL that is extremely loose.

In general, cycling clothing are European sizes, which run a size smaller than the US sizes. Thus, if you wear a US medium, you need to get a large. That being said, there are exceptions, and every brand and style fit a little bit differently. Most on-line stores have generous return policies, so if you do get a size you are not happy with, you can exchange it for the correct size. That does take time, though. It is best to buy locally, at least until you know exactly what you need.