ER - Manitou SPV 4 way air shock

Status

Bruce Edge

Guest
I got a loaner giant AC with a 4 way SPV air on it to ride for a few days.

At first I was annoyed at the low bb, and the fact that it wasn't my chain ring so I shouldn't knock
off too many teeth. But that was the bike, not the shock. The pedals felt strangely decoupled form
the rear wheel when I was standing climbing over big rocks slowly. It's as if the first bit of pedal
energy goes to taking up slack in the shock. That took some getting used to.

If you sit and spin though, this shock kicks ass. Normally I expect some bounce climbing going over
bumps. There is none. That's all there is to it. It's gone. I found myself standing a lot less often
as this shock is so much more efficient when you keep your butt in the saddle. I know this was true
because I was keeping up with the XC racer crowd in our group who usually ditch everyone with bikes
over 22 lbs. FWIW the giant is 31.

The compression stroke feels as plush as oil, and the rebound dampening actually works, which is
more that I can say for Fox air shocks.

I didn't fiddle with it as it wasn't my bike so I can't comment on the adjustability.

Now I gotta see if it fits on my joker :)

-Bruce.

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

> If you sit and spin though, this shock kicks ass. Normally I expect some bounce climbing going
> over bumps. There is none. That's all there is to it. It's gone. I found myself standing a lot
> less often as this shock is so much more efficient when you keep your butt in the saddle. I know
> this was true because I was keeping up with the XC racer crowd in our group who usually ditch
> everyone with bikes over 22 lbs. FWIW the giant is 31.

Stable platform shocks are the best thing to happen to FS since the Horst 4 bar linkage. My single
pivot Bullit pedals as good as my Tracer and that's with 2.5 inches more travel and about 10-15lbs
more weight.

Mike

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:39:40 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:

> "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>>
>> If you sit and spin though, this shock kicks ass. Normally I expect some bounce climbing going
>> over bumps. There is none. That's all there is to
>> it. It's gone. I found myself standing a lot less often as this shock is so much more efficient
>> when you keep your butt in the saddle. I know this was true because I was keeping up with the
>> XC racer crowd in our group who usually ditch everyone with bikes over 22 lbs. FWIW the giant
>> is 31.
>>

> Stable platform shocks are the best thing to happen to FS since the Horst 4 bar linkage. My single
> pivot Bullit pedals as good as my Tracer and that's with 2.5 inches more travel and about 10-15lbs
> more weight.
>
> Mike

What are you running on the bullit? I need a rear SPV for my joker. Ellsworth says their still
evaluating the swinger.

-Bruce

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:39:40 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
>

> > Stable platform shocks are the best thing to happen to FS since the
Horst
> > 4 bar linkage. My single pivot Bullit pedals as good as my Tracer and that's with 2.5 inches
> > more travel and about 10-15lbs more weight.
> >
> > Mike
>
> What are you running on the bullit? I need a rear SPV for my joker. Ellsworth says their still
> evaluating the swinger.
>
> -Bruce

It's the Progressive 5th Element coil over. Manitou licensed the tech from them for their Swinger.

Mike

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:20:34 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:

> "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:39:40 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
>>

>> > Stable platform shocks are the best thing to happen to FS since the
> Horst
>> > 4 bar linkage. My single pivot Bullit pedals as good as my Tracer and that's with 2.5 inches
>> > more travel and about 10-15lbs more weight.
>> >
>> > Mike
>>
>> What are you running on the bullit? I need a rear SPV for my joker. Ellsworth says their still
>> evaluating the swinger.
>>
>> -Bruce
>
> It's the Progressive 5th Element coil over. Manitou licensed the tech from them for their Swinger.
>
> Mike

Manitou now has a whole line of swingers, both air and coil over.
http://www.answerproducts.com/ Hmmm, tough choice, which one, Progressive or Manitou, and then
which model. Gaaaa, too many choices.

-Bruce

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:20:34 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
>

> Manitou now has a whole line of swingers, both air and coil over. http://www.answerproducts.com/
> Hmmm, tough choice, which one, Progressive or Manitou, and then which model. Gaaaa, too many
> choices.
>
> -Bruce

I usually just get the one with all the knobs then just figure it out from there. ;^) The Swinger
6-way is most like the 5th Element on my Bullit, just with a kinkier name.

Mike

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:03:30 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:

> "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:20:34 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
>>

>> Manitou now has a whole line of swingers, both air and coil over. http://www.answerproducts.com/
>> Hmmm, tough choice, which one, Progressive or Manitou, and then which model. Gaaaa, too many
>> choices.
>>
>> -Bruce
>
> I usually just get the one with all the knobs then just figure it out from there. ;^) The Swinger
> 6-way is most like the 5th Element on my Bullit, just with a kinkier name.
>
> Mike

I thought I was the only one who used that as a decision making criteria. Just seemed like there
ought to be a more methodical approach. Like: which one's cheaper, and how long is the warranty :)

-Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.