ERD for Velocity Fusion rim? (followup to Feb posting)

Tom B.

will try again

----------

For some reason, I couldn't post a followup to the thread from
February, so I'll start a new one. The original question was from
Shawn Amir, and I had the same question when I ordered spokes a couple
of weeks ago.

Here's the confusion: Velocity says the Fusion ERD is 591 mm, but
Damon's spocalc database has a notation (dated 2002) saying that
someone measured an ERD of 596 mm for the Fusion.

I decided to go with Velocity's "official" number, and so I built up a
9s Dura-Ace (7700) freehub, 32h Fusion, 3-cross using 287 mm drive side
and 289 mm non-drive side (14/15 drive, 15/16 non-drive, brass nipps,
all DT brand).

Everything worked fine. I started out with the threads just
disappearing into the nipples, and got another ~3 full turns on each
before reaching ~120 kgF on the drive side spokes. The ends of the
spokes are near the tops of the nipples, which is the goal AFAIK.

So what's going on here? Peter's (Qui si parla's) original reply to
Shawn said that he uses 596 ERD for the Fusion. I somehow missed
seeing this before I bought spokes; otherwise, I would have bought for
596. But I can't see how things could have worked with spokes 2.5 mm
longer. I think I might have run out of threads.

I suppose it is possible that the spoke ends are not as close to the
tops of the nipples as I thought. I didn't take a super-careful look,
but I was pretty sure all was well. At that point, I didn't have a
reason to question things.

Has anyone else built with Fusion rims, who can weigh in on the ERD?
So far, I like them a lot. They built up very smoothly. If they fix
the problems I have had with Sun ME14A (cracking/pull-through) and
Mavic Open Pro (cracking, endless clicking/creaking), then I will be a
die-hard Velocity fan. It's getting damn hard to find a good rim.

Appreciate any comments.

-Tom

On 22 Jun 2005 11:03:51 -0700, "Tom B."

>will try again
>
>----------
>
>For some reason, I couldn't post a followup to the thread from
>February, so I'll start a new one. The original question was from
>Shawn Amir, and I had the same question when I ordered spokes a couple
>of weeks ago.

[snip]

Dear Tom,

Google Groups retires threads after they're inactive for a
while.

You can still see them, but since no one has replied to them
within about a month, Google no longer lets you to reply to
them.

On 06-22-2005, threads last active on 05-23-2005 are being
archived--the ones active later on that day last month still
show the "reply" option, but the morning ones have lost the
"reply."

The old version of Google Groups did the same thing.

Carl Fogel