ERD of Mavic XM 317

Johan Bornman

Guest
What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

Thanks

JB

Actually, you may as well teach the man to fish as well...how do I
measure the ERD?

Johan Bornman said:
What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

Thanks

JB

Actually, you may as well teach the man to fish as well...how do I
measure the ERD?
538.5 mm
or go fish at:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm#MeasureHubAndRim

On Feb 6, 8:10 am, daveornee <daveornee.2ll...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Johan Bornman Wrote:> What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
> > I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
> > unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
> > I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

> > Thanks

> > JB

> > Actually, you may as well teach the man to fish as well...how do I
> > measure the ERD?

> 538.5 mm
> or go fish at:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm#MeasureHubAndRim
>
> --
> daveornee

Disc or non-disc? The Disc version _is_ listed in Spocalc at 538.5,
but the non-disc version isn't listed.

I have a couple of wheels I built with the non-disc version. I had an
X221 that a side-by-side comparison showed to have "pretty much" the
same ERD, so I used 543.5. Like I say, I've built two fronts with that
figure (with and without dynohub) and both came out beautifully.

And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.

Hank Wirtz said:
On Feb 6, 8:10 am, daveornee <daveornee.2ll...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Johan Bornman Wrote:> What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
> > I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
> > unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
> > I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

> > Thanks

> > JB

> > Actually, you may as well teach the man to fish as well...how do I
> > measure the ERD?

> 538.5 mm
> or go fish at:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm#MeasureHubAndRim
>
> --
> daveornee

Disc or non-disc? The Disc version _is_ listed in Spocalc at 538.5,
but the non-disc version isn't listed.

I have a couple of wheels I built with the non-disc version. I had an
X221 that a side-by-side comparison showed to have "pretty much" the
same ERD, so I used 543.5. Like I say, I've built two fronts with that
figure (with and without dynohub) and both came out beautifully.

And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.
Good points Hank.
Mavic Tech site list XM317 Disc @ 536 mm & XM317 rim brake model @ 539.5 mm
Another go fish at:
http://www.tech-mavic.com
login: mavic-com
Password: dealer
follow your "nose" to the rim(s) you want.

On 2007-02-06, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
> I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
> unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
> I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

I think it's 539.5mm

You need the "tech" mavic site:

http://www.tech-mavic.com
login "mavic-com"
password "dealer"

There's a pdf there for the XM317, which says the "Spoke support
diameter" is 539.5mm. Or 536mm for the XM317 Disc. I'm hoping "spoke
support diameter" means the same thing as ERD.

I'm getting the parts for a new front wheel for my mountain bike, and
chose the same rim and hub as you. Hunting around on Shimano's website I
found these measurements for the HB-M760 front hub:

Center to flange: 35.8mm
Spoke hole circle: 38mm

That makes the spoke length 262mm for 3 cross.

On Feb 6, 1:23 pm, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-02-06, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
> > I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
> > unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
> > I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

> I think it's 539.5mm
>
> You need the "tech" mavic site:
>
> http://www.tech-mavic.com
> login "mavic-com"
> password "dealer"
>
> There's a pdf there for the XM317, which says the "Spoke support
> diameter" is 539.5mm. Or 536mm for the XM317 Disc. I'm hoping "spoke
> support diameter" means the same thing as ERD.
>
> I'm getting the parts for a new front wheel for my mountain bike, and
> chose the same rim and hub as you. Hunting around on Shimano's website I
> found these measurements for the HB-M760 front hub:
>
> Center to flange: 35.8mm
> Spoke hole circle: 38mm
>
> That makes the spoke length 262mm for 3 cross.

I get 264mm for the non disc and 263mm for the disc rim.

On 2007-02-06, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 1:23 pm, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2007-02-06, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
>> > I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
>> > unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
>> > I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.

>> I think it's 539.5mm
>>
>> You need the "tech" mavic site:
>>
>> http://www.tech-mavic.com
>> login "mavic-com"
>> password "dealer"
>>
>> There's a pdf there for the XM317, which says the "Spoke support
>> diameter" is 539.5mm. Or 536mm for the XM317 Disc. I'm hoping "spoke
>> support diameter" means the same thing as ERD.
>>
>> I'm getting the parts for a new front wheel for my mountain bike, and
>> chose the same rim and hub as you. Hunting around on Shimano's website I
>> found these measurements for the HB-M760 front hub:
>>
>> Center to flange: 35.8mm
>> Spoke hole circle: 38mm
>>
>> That makes the spoke length 262mm for 3 cross.

> I get 264mm for the non disc and 263mm for the disc rim.

Could be you're calculating for 32 spokes? I get 264 and 262.46 for 32
spokes non disk and disk. For 36 I get 262 and 261. I should have said
262mm was based on 36 spokes.

That's also with a 2.6mm diameter spoke hole which makes a small
difference (I think you just add half that, so 1.3mm, at the end of the
calculation).

On Feb 6, 12:09 pm, "Johan Bornman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is the ERD of a Mavic XM 317 rim?
> I'm using Ramon Rinard's spoke calculator but that particular rim
> unfortunately isn't in the databaseand Mavic's website is not helpful.
> I'm building it with a Shimano XT (HB-M760 hub), 3 cross.
>
> Thanks
>
> JB
>
> Actually, you may as well teach the man to fish as well...how do I
> measure the ERD?

Thanks everyone, It is a non-disk hub (I thought the model number
includes some code that indicates that.). I'm doing 32 spokes 3X.

Going fishing now.

JB

On 6 Feb 2007 08:52:48 -0800, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.

I just checked Ebay and there are lots of people selling spokes. How
do I know which one is Dave?

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Feb 7, 7:45 am, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2007 08:52:48 -0800, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.

> I just checked Ebay and there are lots of people selling spokes. How
> do I know which one is Dave?
>
> --
> jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

Search for Sapim.

John Everett said:
On 6 Feb 2007 08:52:48 -0800, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.

I just checked Ebay and there are lots of people selling spokes. How
do I know which one is Dave?

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320080072042
is the current listing.
dave at ornee dot net

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 06:26:44 +1100, daveornee
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Everett Wrote:
>> On 6 Feb 2007 08:52:48 -0800, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> >And buy your spokes from Dave on ebay - best deal in the universe.

>> I just checked Ebay and there are lots of people selling spokes. How
>> do I know which one is Dave?
>>
>> --
>> jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320080072042
>is the current listing.
>dave at ornee dot net

I see you're in Western Springs. Can I save the $9.00 shipping charge
by just driving over to your place to pick up some spokes?

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)