Ergo and STI

James Weston

Guest
IS it possible to use campag ergo levers with a shimano cassette? How far
are the components for the two systems, ergo and STI, interchangeable?
Thanks
James

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:48:20 +0100, "James Weston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>IS it possible to use campag ergo levers with a shimano cassette? How far
>are the components for the two systems, ergo and STI, interchangeable?
>Thanks
>James

I think but I am not sure.

7 Speed Ergo- Probably witht care.
8 Speed Ergo - With Sachs but not Shimano
9/10 Speed Ergo - No.

James Weston wrote:
> IS it possible to use campag ergo levers with a shimano cassette? How far
> are the components for the two systems, ergo and STI, interchangeable?

Short answer : no.

Long answer : sometimes, depending on which combinations of 8/9/10 speed,
cassette spacers, fettling etc.

Unless there's some really pressing reason, I'd stick to like with like.

--
Arthur Clune

James Weston wrote:

> IS it possible to use campag ergo levers with a shimano cassette?

How many sprockets? For a start, the 9-speed cassettes are
similarly-spaced enough for /some/ people to say they "work fine" when
interchanged. I wouldn't want to do it myself, though, as even standard
Campag is prone to being noisy when eveything is not quite right. But use
a Shimano chain if you do try as they're a bit narrower (externally).
Shimano 9sp sprockets are closer together.

Bodges & info:

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

Spacing info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing