Ergo autoshift

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wreckless Eric, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
    levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
    I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
    squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
    middle.

    Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
    recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
    or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
    possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.

    I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
    and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
    getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
    alleviate this?

    -Eric

    --
    Miss Baby was alright until me and Junior turned her head around.

    Tags:

  2. John Verheul

    John Verheul Guest

    "Wreckless Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
    > levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
    > I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
    > squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
    > middle.
    >
    > Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
    > recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
    > or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
    > possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.
    >
    > I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
    > and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
    > getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
    > alleviate this?

    Yes, besides G springs, you should consider the G Spring carrier, as well as
    possibly the ratchet.

    Directions here:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo4.html
    here:
    http://www.velonews.com/tech/rev/levers.html
    and here:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

    If you've replaced G Springs before, you are probably familiar with these.

    Or consider shipping the thing to r.b.t's Campy expert, Peter Chisholm at
    Vecchios in Boulder (www.vecchios.com). He'll likely be able to figure
    exactly what needs replacing, and quote you a reasonable price to do it. He
    will also probably respond here and tell you what he thinks needs replacing.

    There are probably other shops that do ergo rebuilds, Peter's is the one
    that comes to mind first, and you've got to give him *some* business for all
    the free information he dispenses here.

    John Verheul

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    John Verheul wrote:
    > "Wreckless Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
    >>levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
    >>I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
    >>squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
    >>middle.
    >>
    >>Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
    >>recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
    >>or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
    >>possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
    >>and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
    >>getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
    >>alleviate this?

    > Yes, besides G springs, you should consider the G Spring carrier, as well as
    > possibly the ratchet.
    >
    > Directions here:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo4.html
    > here:
    > http://www.velonews.com/tech/rev/levers.html
    > and here:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf
    >
    > If you've replaced G Springs before, you are probably familiar with these.
    >
    > Or consider shipping the thing to r.b.t's Campy expert, Peter Chisholm at
    > Vecchios in Boulder (www.vecchios.com). He'll likely be able to figure
    > exactly what needs replacing, and quote you a reasonable price to do it. He
    > will also probably respond here and tell you what he thinks needs replacing.
    >
    > There are probably other shops that do ergo rebuilds, Peter's is the one
    > that comes to mind first, and you've got to give him *some* business for all
    > the free information he dispenses here.
    >
    > John Verheul

    i second the recommendation to look at the g-spring carrier. i had a
    breakage recently and shifting became very vague with auto-shift similar
    to your description. google this group to see if the pic of my broken
    carrier is still around.

  4. John Verheul wrote:
    > "Wreckless Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
    > > levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
    > > I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
    > > squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
    > > middle.
    > >
    > > Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
    > > recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
    > > or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
    > > possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
    > > and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
    > > getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
    > > alleviate this?

    > Yes, besides G springs, you should consider the G Spring carrier, as well as
    > possibly the ratchet.

    Well it 'may' be the spring carrier but that would seem like a broken
    spring and the pointy 8s levers didn't have the EC-RE-111, and it's
    associated breakage.

    If the lever shifts when you squeeze it, I suspect a broken body-Send
    it to me to check and I have new bodies for pointy top ERGO.

    > Directions here:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo4.html
    > here:
    > http://www.velonews.com/tech/rev/levers.html
    > and here:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf
    >
    > If you've replaced G Springs before, you are probably familiar with these.
    >
    > Or consider shipping the thing to r.b.t's Campy expert, Peter Chisholm at
    > Vecchios in Boulder (www.vecchios.com). He'll likely be able to figure
    > exactly what needs replacing, and quote you a reasonable price to do it. He
    > will also probably respond here and tell you what he thinks needs replacing.
    >
    > There are probably other shops that do ergo rebuilds, Peter's is the one
    > that comes to mind first, and you've got to give him *some* business for all
    > the free information he dispenses here.
    >
    > John Verheul

  5. > > John Verheul

    > i second the recommendation to look at the g-spring carrier. i had a
    > breakage recently and shifting became very vague with auto-shift similar
    > to your description. google this group to see if the pic of my broken
    > carrier is still around.

    EC-RE-111 in the photo. Pointy top ERGO was EC-RE-011.no post and not
    much breakage.

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:03:42 GMT, [email protected] (Wreckless Eric)
    wrote:

    >I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
    >squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
    >middle.

    My guess is that the prong on the underside of the hood is not seating
    into the lever. If you've been taping the bars the same way each
    time, you are likely covering the hole in the lever with tape.

  7. E Goforth

    E Goforth Guest

    Hello,

    I've figured out what my problem was, my cable was too tight. The cable
    wasn't tight enough to mess up the indexing, but there was a lot of
    tension on the cable in low gear. When I'd squeeze the lever it would
    flex enough to pop out of gear. I reduced the cable tension while
    riding on a climb and the problem went away.

    -Eric