Ergo brake lever/shifters or bar ends?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lee, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    I'm building up a commuter bike with Campy Record Triple components on a
    Cannondale T1000 touring frame.

    While most use will be for commuting, I may do some light touring on this
    bike.

    My other (race and cyclocross) bikes all have the Campy Ergo brake/shifter
    setups.

    What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
    commuter/touring bike?

    BTW, I'm familiar with barcons...I built up my first race bike with barcons
    in 1972 and used them until I upgraded to the Ergos in '99.

    Thanks!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > I'm building up a commuter bike with Campy Record Triple components on a
    > Cannondale T1000 touring frame.
    >
    > While most use will be for commuting, I may do some light touring on this
    > bike.
    >
    > My other (race and cyclocross) bikes all have the Campy Ergo brake/shifter
    > setups.
    >
    > What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
    > commuter/touring bike?

    In rollercoaster hills you have to ratchet like mad to drop the chain
    from the big ring on the granny. With barcons you can do it while
    holding a sandwich
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:57:01 -0500, "Lee"
    <lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com> wrote:

    >What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
    >commuter/touring bike?

    Althought I'm a great Ergo fan, there is not great advantage on most
    bicycles for most riders. That said, I haven't ridden barcons in
    years. I know I made a mistake in '99 when I changed my tandem
    shifting to Ergo from Shimano barends for my tandem. The barends were
    far less fussy about which chainring and cogset combinations I chose.

    A set of decent brake levers and barcons plus cables will cost as much
    as Veloce or Centaur Ergo.

    The Ergo brifters will hold much more of their value should you decide
    to sell.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    m-gineering wrote:
    > In rollercoaster hills you have to ratchet like mad to drop the chain
    > from the big ring on the granny. With barcons you can do it while
    > holding a sandwich

    Yes, bar end controls do have a simple elegance and I like
    them too, but Ergos aren't as bad as all that. Press firmly
    twice on the return and they'll drop right into low unless
    something's awry.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Eeek...

    When I first read the subject line quickly, I "saw"...

    Ergo brake lever/shifters ON bar ends?

    I didn't even want to open it up and read the verbal carnage!

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  6. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    Hi Lee, There is also one other option too, that no one has mentioned
    here, and that's Campy Record 10-SP Indexed Downtube Shifters also.
    (Yes, these can be gotten, and are basically the same as the Campy
    Bar-Cons)

    Naturally, the right lever, that controls the Rear Derailleur is
    Indexed, the left Lever is Friction, and will work equally well with
    either Double, or Triple Chainring Cranks.

    This version enables the vintage look, utilizing the modern 10-SP
    systems, and no monkeying with cabling running around the Bars like with
    Bar-Cons. The downside is reaching down to actuate, but I understand
    that some prefer this method over Bar-Cons, and Ergos. I guess it's
    what you like, and what you're used to. All personal preference I guess.

    I have a brand new set of these Campy Record 10-SP DT Shifters in the
    box, never used if interested. Mark

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Mark D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Lee, There is also one other option too, that no one has mentioned
    > here, and that's Campy Record 10-SP Indexed Downtube Shifters also.
    > (Yes, these can be gotten, and are basically the same as the Campy
    > Bar-Cons)
    >
    > Naturally, the right lever, that controls the Rear Derailleur is
    > Indexed, the left Lever is Friction, and will work equally well with
    > either Double, or Triple Chainring Cranks.
    >
    > This version enables the vintage look, utilizing the modern 10-SP
    > systems, and no monkeying with cabling running around the Bars like with
    > Bar-Cons. The downside is reaching down to actuate, but I understand
    > that some prefer this method over Bar-Cons, and Ergos. I guess it's
    > what you like, and what you're used to. All personal preference I guess.
    >
    > I have a brand new set of these Campy Record 10-SP DT Shifters in the
    > box, never used if interested. Mark

    I have a set of 9 speed DT shifters kicking around somewhere, not sure why
    :)

    One of my older bikes has friction shifters, and I don't think I want the DT
    shifters on this bike...

    I own both the Ergos and the barcons so cost isn't an issue.

    I *think* I'm going to go with the Ergos...I tend to find myself on the
    hoods a lot more than on the drops, so the Ergos will be more convenient...

    Lee