Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ergo cable housing burst

Started by Alan · · Last activity · 4 posts · 255 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 March 2007
Last activity
17 March 2007
Original author
Alan
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
255
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yesterday, I was well into a long ride with lots of climbing, headed
    up a steep hill, when my drive train started going bonkers. Would not
    stay in a gear; kept upshifting. I was afraid the chain would break,
    so I dismounted and could not find anything wrong with the
    derailleur. I put it into a middle gear and forced my way up to flat
    spot. As I dismounted, I saw the right der cable housing and nearly
    choked.

    The housing where it enters the trim control on the frame lug was
    burst above the ferrule. Just shreds of split black plastic and wires
    sticking out everywhere. The only resistance to shift against was the
    inner housing, which was quickly collapsing.

    With 50 miles and several thousand climbing feet to get home, I was
    lucky to be able to apply a temp fix with duct tape (gather and wrap
    the wires, and splint the whole thing against the frame) enough to
    finish the ride.

    This is a relatively new build (< 1 year) with only a few thousand
    miles of use. My first Campy setup. I believe this problem developed
    on this ride and was not the result of any trauma to the cable
    housing. The black plastic housing seems quite thin and brittle
    compared to gray Shimano housing, which seems tough and flexible.

    Is this at all common? Should I not replace with Ergo housing?

    Thanks,
    Alan

  2. Alan said:

    Yesterday, I was well into a long ride with lots of climbing, headed
    up a steep hill, when my drive train started going bonkers. Would not
    stay in a gear; kept upshifting. I was afraid the chain would break,
    so I dismounted and could not find anything wrong with the
    derailleur. I put it into a middle gear and forced my way up to flat
    spot. As I dismounted, I saw the right der cable housing and nearly
    choked.

    The housing where it enters the trim control on the frame lug was
    burst above the ferrule. Just shreds of split black plastic and wires
    sticking out everywhere. The only resistance to shift against was the
    inner housing, which was quickly collapsing.

    With 50 miles and several thousand climbing feet to get home, I was
    lucky to be able to apply a temp fix with duct tape (gather and wrap
    the wires, and splint the whole thing against the frame) enough to
    finish the ride.

    This is a relatively new build (< 1 year) with only a few thousand
    miles of use. My first Campy setup. I believe this problem developed
    on this ride and was not the result of any trauma to the cable
    housing. The black plastic housing seems quite thin and brittle
    compared to gray Shimano housing, which seems tough and flexible.

    Is this at all common? Should I not replace with Ergo housing?

    Thanks,
    Alan

    What Andy said and make sure it's long enough. Sometimes too short der
    housing can split like that.

  3. Alan said:

    Yesterday, I was well into a long ride with lots of climbing, headed
    up a steep hill, when my drive train started going bonkers. Would not
    stay in a gear; kept upshifting. I was afraid the chain would break,
    so I dismounted and could not find anything wrong with the
    derailleur. I put it into a middle gear and forced my way up to flat
    spot. As I dismounted, I saw the right der cable housing and nearly
    choked.

    The housing where it enters the trim control on the frame lug was
    burst above the ferrule. Just shreds of split black plastic and wires
    sticking out everywhere. The only resistance to shift against was the
    inner housing, which was quickly collapsing.

    With 50 miles and several thousand climbing feet to get home, I was
    lucky to be able to apply a temp fix with duct tape (gather and wrap
    the wires, and splint the whole thing against the frame) enough to
    finish the ride.

    This is a relatively new build (< 1 year) with only a few thousand
    miles of use. My first Campy setup. I believe this problem developed
    on this ride and was not the result of any trauma to the cable
    housing. The black plastic housing seems quite thin and brittle
    compared to gray Shimano housing, which seems tough and flexible.

    Is this at all common? Should I not replace with Ergo housing?

    Thanks,
    Alan

    On last year's Hell Week a friend burst the shift cables on his STI
    bike. Both cables on the same day. He had about 50 miles of hills to
    get back to Fredricksburg to get to a bike shop and get new cables. I
    think he was left with 42x14 as the single gear. These were old and
    well used STI cables.

  4. Let's see... you didn't mention it, but there WAS a metal ferrul in
    use, right? This is rare, and it was either a defective piece or (most
    likely) too short a piece making too sharp a bend.

    FWIW, I've had Shimano housing burst that way as well.

    Alan said:

    Yesterday, I was well into a long ride with lots of climbing, headed
    up a steep hill, when my drive train started going bonkers. Would not
    stay in a gear; kept upshifting. I was afraid the chain would break,
    so I dismounted and could not find anything wrong with the
    derailleur. I put it into a middle gear and forced my way up to flat
    spot. As I dismounted, I saw the right der cable housing and nearly
    choked.

    The housing where it enters the trim control on the frame lug was
    burst above the ferrule. Just shreds of split black plastic and wires
    sticking out everywhere. The only resistance to shift against was the
    inner housing, which was quickly collapsing.

    With 50 miles and several thousand climbing feet to get home, I was
    lucky to be able to apply a temp fix with duct tape (gather and wrap
    the wires, and splint the whole thing against the frame) enough to
    finish the ride.

    This is a relatively new build (< 1 year) with only a few thousand
    miles of use. My first Campy setup. I believe this problem developed
    on this ride and was not the result of any trauma to the cable
    housing. The black plastic housing seems quite thin and brittle
    compared to gray Shimano housing, which seems tough and flexible.

    Is this at all common? Should I not replace with Ergo housing?

    Thanks,
    Alan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.